Exhaust cam variator. Loose / missing bolts

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Gelkins
New
Drives: 2018 1.0 TSI Auto

Re: Exhaust cam variator. Loose / missing bolts

Post by Gelkins »

Hmmm. Ok thanks. Not sure I have the same problem as there are no seals in play here. My local garage has looked at this and happy that just having the 4 bolts in place is sufficient. Will speak to VW also. This ERWin system…..is this where they log all known issues? Is it used in the UK?
TTRACES55
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI 95ps Beats

Post by TTRACES55 »

This is the registration area for ErWIN. The fee I think is about 7 euros for a time limited access. It takes a short while to work out the navigation, but I managed to find the issue that was logged there.
https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showStepByStep07.do
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

If you access erWIN, the TPI (Technical Product Information) number that you need to search is 2055431/4. Published 3.6.2020.
VW head office in Milton Keynes maintain that although they are aware of the issue, they don’t see it as a recall action. I argued that the issue can cause engine failure, as a similar issue happened on an earlier version of the engine. The unfortunate owner of that vehicle had to pay a few thousand for a replacement engine. It’s the murky world of manufacturers hiding known problems from innocent customers.
If the owner of the vehicle that I was dealing with had taken the car to the dealer when the noise first started, it would’ve still been days within the warranty.
All I can say is, keep a check for oil drips under the car.
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

If you want to post an email address (create one if you don’t want to publish a regularly used one), I’ll send you the pages from ErWIN. You can see the pictures / info that VW uploaded.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

What kind of mileage are we normally looking for this issue to start happening?
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

The Polo that I was involved with had 57,000 miles on the clock. It was approx 6 weeks out of the 3 year warranty.
It was the 1 litre, 3 cylinder, 95PS Engine.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

TTRACES55 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:35 am The Polo that I was involved with had 57,000 miles on the clock. It was approx 6 weeks out of the 3 year warranty.
It was the 1 litre, 3 cylinder, 95PS Engine.

I got the 1.0 115 engine. It’s still in warranty so I don’t want go messing with it. But when it starts getting to similar miles as the one your talking about I check them bolts myself.
Gelkins
New
Drives: 2018 1.0 TSI Auto

Post by Gelkins »

Mine is 4 years old with 20K on the clock. Hardly used!
jamsa90
New
Drives: Kodiaq

Post by jamsa90 »

TTRACES55 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:19 am If you want to post an email address (create one if you don’t want to publish a regularly used one), I’ll send you the pages from ErWIN. You can see the pictures / info that VW uploaded.
@TTRACES55 would you still have a copy of the ErWIN pages? I have suffered precisely the same issue with the VW engine in my Skoda Kodiaq and trying to show it's a known issue...
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

Hi. I’ll have a look thru my files. Will get back to you.
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

This is a cut / paste from the Erwin page, showing the issue number. There is more info plus a photo as well. If you provide an email address I can send more info.

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2055431/4 Engine: rattling/grinding noises from front end/engine compartment Release date: 03-Jun-2020
Customer statement / workshop findings
Customer statement:
• Rattling/grinding noises from the front end/engine compartment at the engine start/operation:
Workshop findings:
• The customer statement can be reproduced.
• One or more fastening screws from the cover of the camshaft adjuster (exhaust) have come loose (
jamsa90
New
Drives: Kodiaq

Post by jamsa90 »

That's amazing - thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.

If you could send it to jamsa90@yahoo.com, that would be great.

If anyone needs, happy to elaborate more on the Kodiaq issue. In the process of trying to claim under the Consumer Rights Act (as it's only 4 years old and the loose bolts led to a loss of oil pressure, cam seizure and basically a totally knackered engine!).

Thanks again :)
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

Hi. Your situation had a far worse ending. The person, whose Polo had the problem, luckily had it diagnosed and had the repairs done, partially at her cost, by a VW dealer, before the engine was damaged beyond repair. VW customer service in Milton Keynes denied any knowledge of a problem at first.
I’ll send you the relevant correspondence ASAP.
TTRACES55
New

Post by TTRACES55 »

I accessed it from the UK. You have to pay a small fee in Euros (€7?) to access the system for a specified time (1 hour I think), and navigation is not too logical, but I found my way to the pages that I needed. The system is the log for their vehicle issues.
I was directed to it by a VW vehicle technician.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

jamsa90 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:23 pm
@TTRACES55 would you still have a copy of the ErWIN pages? I have suffered precisely the same issue with the VW engine in my Skoda Kodiaq and trying to show it's a known issue...
Actually, though it makes no real difference, these small engines are built by engine plants controlled by Skoda in CZ, so they will know everything that there is to know about any issues.
A similar issue "occurred" during the early build period of the 4 cylinder 1.2TSI 16V, again built in the same Skoda engine factory, that was with the inlet varistor bolts.
Also high pressure fuel rail screw torquing issues on that 4 cylinder 1.2TSI 16V engine and the 1.4TSI 16V engine, again from that CZ engine factory.
Not much said in UK market about any of these issues, whisper/complaints being kept damped down well - unlucky customers being handed big bills.