Problem with exterior lights going on me

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Polo Driver
New
Drives: 1.2 TDI Match

Problem with exterior lights going on me

Post by Polo Driver »

Took the car to MOT yesterday, half an hour before leaving I realised I'd not checked the lights :oops:

All except the rear fog were working, I opened the rear cluster to see what kind of bulb was needed, put it back in place and suddenly the dead bulb light came on the dash.

I took it to the test without a change (I live in N Ireland, we test in government centres, not at a mechanics, too late for a motor factors along the way) assuming it would fail. Got through with a single minor defect, the right rear brake light, which was working when I checked.

I went out this morning to replace the brake bulb, it looked slightly blackened, checked the bottom left bulb (assume that's the fog) and that looked ok. But when I cycled through the lights my front right dipped beam was out all of a sudden, no bulb warning on the dash.

Should I expect an issue with the electrics?
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: Problem with exterior lights going on me

Post by wolfie »

Sounds more like "sods law"
I've had front main dipped blubs go and still got no warning light. I had a tail light go and that gave a warning light!? A few weeks back I had a number plate light go. (no warning light) I swapped it and tried them again. Just to wind me up the other one had gone when a re-checked. They both looked old and blackened.

I think on occasion the terminals and connections start to oxidize a bit, simply the act of disturbing the assembly is enough show a fault. You may be unlucky and just inadvertently shorted a fuse, so might be worth checking. I've gone years without having to replace a bulb then had a run of them.