wiring up to Polo reverse light feed wire for camera

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

wiring up to Polo reverse light feed wire for camera

Post by grazuncle2 »

I have bought a non OEM reversing camera kit.

It will require tapping into the reverse lamp feed. Anyone done this already? I have seen some videos of older Polos and younger Golfs and they just piggy back the live when the reverse gear is operated. No one mentioning it upsetting the canbus system on any of these YT videos for these recent VW models; it will be an extra load on the system. I did tap into something like this on my old (2006) polo when fitting after market rear parking sensors, with no ill effects... but that was years ago and I had a wiring diagram :)

It would be handy to know which is the correct reverse live wire by wiring colour if anyone has done this on a Polo 1.0 TSI.
Any observations welcome..

Ps I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a VW OEM system .. :shock: :wink:
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Re: wiring up to Polo reverse light feed wire for camera

Post by grazuncle2 »

update..

success to a fashion.. LOL

I have the system installed now.. the camera is supplied with voltage directly from the reversing lamp cable (behind the lamp cluster) Blue/Black wire and the video feed is sent wirelessly from a sender unit at the back of the car to the receiver I have installed in the binnacle. That then feeds the mirror LCD.

There is some interference on the display after a few seconds, last for a few seconds and then stops completely after starting to reverse say in to my garage.. I think the parking sensors do have influence in this interference. It only last a few seconds and nothing when inside the garage and right up to where the parking sensors are showing RED bars and bleep is continuous.

I think I will have to separate the power direct to the camera from the reversing light feed and just use the low power relay I have an let that power (from the fuse box) directly to the camera. That should supply a clean power source.

Slightly OT.. getting the trim in the hatch area (where the hatch lock fits) is a pig to move.. I couldn't be bothered removing the left hand wheel trim inside off to get at the lamp cluster wires... just pulled it out slightly and fitted a T connector directly onto the Blue/Black wire.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

find the set of light adaptation channels in the BCM for your reverse light and set the dimming to '127' instead of '100' to eliminate the buzzing screen
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Many thanks iichel for taking the time to reply

Very interesting information and solution.. I have no idea how you knew this option?? !!

Am I right to presume you need VCDS or other Diagnostic tool that can interrogate and make the changes you mention?

I only have a Thinkcar 100 basic diagnostic tool. If I can't access this change with what I have I'm going to have to go with my alternative solution.

To get me going I will use my low power relay.. it will operate as low as 6.5v and requires very low amps. I'll have to run a separate positive feed to the relay contacts to drive the camera.. It partly negates the wireless function of my transmission kit, having to run a positive line to the boot/hatch area, but I have invested too much time to take it all out. At least nothing should interfere with the signal... it works faultlessly off an independent power supply. 😊
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

all done and working.. I'll post a few pics later.. just too knackered now.

the wiring up was made harder by having to run a positive feed to the rear and keeping it out of sight.. it is a very tight fit along the door cill trims.

at least the relay separated the positive feed from the reversing lamp to the reversing camera - so no interference at all now.. just a solid picture. The Mirror's LCD could do with being a bit brighter in the midday sun but generally good enough and when reversing into my garage. no longer need to put ceiling light on.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

photos
camera fitted between the number plate lamps.. I did buy an IR version but didn't like the mono colour effect displayed so went for white LED version and you can make out things in the LCD much better.

The Mirror LCD image is fine for the purpose. I guess if I had to buy the relay I needed (I already had it and didn't need it for my dash cam install) It could have added another £6 on top of the parts

£15 for the mirror wireless sender/receiver and camera (not usable due to large bracket fitting)
£3.50 for LED camera (in photo)

tried it today whilst out in car park.. bright conditions and LCD display still usable. Pleased for the minimal outlay and my needs. Wiring up and finding the proper method (avoiding powering the camera directly via the reversing lamp feed, took the time; along with hiding the wiring from the front of the car to rear.
Attachments
LCD image.jpg
LCD image.jpg (181.65 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
camera fitting site.jpg
camera fitting site.jpg (71.21 KiB) Viewed 1119 times