Motoring-related pet hates and annoyances

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Motoring-related pet hates and annoyances

Post by SRGTD »

Not a Polo specific discussion thread, but I thought it might be a bit of fun to have discussion thread on motoring / car-related pet hates and annoyances.

So here’s my list for starters; items are in particular order. I didn’t realise I had so many pet hates and annoyances! 🤣 It might give the impression I’m really grumpy (I promise, I’m not 🙂).
  • Unnecessary use of rear fog lights. Some drivers switch them on at the slightest hint of a little mist in the air, and then keep them on when the mist has cleared!
  • Drivers who don’t use their indicators to signal their intentions (a.k.a. Audi and BMW drivers? 🤔).
  • Rear bumper huggers; drivers who insist on driving really close to the back of your car.
  • Drivers who still use hand held mobile phones while driving; yes, it does still happen and it makes me really angry when I see it.
  • Inconsiderate parking (e.g. in front of peoples driveways, on ‘blind’ corners) by mothers in Chelsea tractors (SUV’s) on the school run near to where I live.
  • Inconsiderate parking in general - especially in supermarket car parks. Why do SUV owners feel the need to park up tight against my car in a nearly empty supermarket car park when there are plenty of other spaces to choose? 😡
  • Tractors; I live in a quite rural, agricultural area, and tractors on public roads are quite commonplace. I appreciate that it’s sometimes necessary for tractors to drive on main roads, but why do tractor drivers seem totally oblivious to the long queue of traffic that’s formed behind them; they rarely pull over when there’s an opportunity to do so to let that queue of vehicles pass them.
  • Diamond cut alloy wheels - IMHO they’re hateful things. Poor durability, susceptible to white worm corrosion and easily damaged by tyre fitters. Great showroom appeal if you like bling, but not for me; I dislike them with a passion!
  • People who refer to the exterior mirrors on the front doors of modern cars as wing mirrors; they’re not - they’re door mirrors. Wing mirrors were commonplace in the 1960’s / 1970’s and earlier, and were mounted on the car’s front wings. Door mirrors are mounted on a car’s front doors. Modern Polo’s don’t have wing mirrors!
That’s my list; please post yours. 🙂
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: Motoring-related pet hates and annoyances

Post by Harrihealey02 »

For me it’s the following:

Drivers using the middle and fast lane when there’s no reason for them to, and especially when they feel the need to block the road from someone trying to overtake. They think that keeping people at 70mph is their responsibility.

Drivers weaving in and out of traffic overtaking in slow and fast moving traffic (prominent on the A13) this really annoys me although they never affect my driving or cause me to have to react, it still grinds my gears and I’m not sure why 😂

Tailgating like you said, really frustrates me.

People using their phone and it’s affecting their driving.

Another one that doesn’t affect me but still annoys me is Car modifications that in my opinion look terrible, such as extremely lowered cars, very high camber, odd looking wheels, huge exhausts.
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

Gritters
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Round here (rural area):

- People who don't bother indicating (endemic round here).
- People parking in mother & baby slots when either their kids are not with them (I jest not) or when all their kids are fit teenagers.
- Folks who can't be bothered to switch their headlights on when it's getting dark.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

- Tailgaters. Tailgating me will not make the guy three cars ahead speed up. And no, I'll not go the side, just for you to box me in behind that lorry in front of us either.
- Phone users, bonus points deducted if you don't drive in a straight line.
- Speeders in heavy traffic. If you're in a rush, leave earlier. And no I'm not impressed by your Mercedes A160. Not even by the AMG badge.
- Left lane huggers (I guess in the UK it would be right lane). Move over. You're not special.
- Fog light users, front or rear, especially during rain/snow in the dark. I'll high beam you, in case you're worried you're not visible enough.
- Tesla drivers doing anything other than driving. Eating, making a phone call, reading a newspaper.
- Changing lane when I'm overtaking your, or am about to. I already have a new front bumper, I don't need another.
- Driving slowly whilst overtaking a lorry. Overtaking is something that needs to be done quickly.
- Overtaking lorries on a dual carriageway. Like one lorry overtaking another. Of course with a 1 mph speed differential. Why?
- Changing lanes constantly in a traffic jam, just to end up on the same place.
- Not giving way to pedestrians on a pedestrian crossing.
- Broken lighting (either off when needed to or on all the time, like brake lights)
- Not using your indicators. I'm not psychic, I don't know where you want to go. Communicate.
- French cars. They're being driven like the driver is asleep.
- French drivers in French cars
- French drivers in general
- Belgian roads
- Belgian drivers (same as French cars)
- Vans, especially white vans, are always in a hurry. Mate, I'm not driving for my own pleasure either, I'm not deliberately keeping you up.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:56 am Not a Polo specific discussion thread, but I thought it might be a bit of fun to have discussion thread on motoring / car-related pet hates and annoyances.

So here’s my list for starters; items are in particular order. I didn’t realise I had so many pet hates and annoyances! 🤣 It might give the impression I’m really grumpy (I promise, I’m not 🙂).
  • Drivers who still use hand held mobile phones while driving; yes, it does still happen and it makes me really angry when I see it.
That’s my list; please post yours. 🙂
Strangely, I've seen so much of this lately and 99% of time it's van drivers. Really really annoys me.

My main ones would be:
  • People driving way under the speed limit on single/dual carriageway's. I swear most people will drive at around 40/50 on these roads. It's like they're afraid of doing 60/70mph and think the only place you can do 70 is a motorway.
  • The amount of drivers who have their full beams and or fog lights on when there's no need for it.
  • Not indicating. Again, seems common these days.
  • People who can't park within the lines in car parks.
  • People who don't say thank you when I let you go.

The last point makes me rage.