ID.2all concept

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

ID.2all concept

Post by SRGTD »

VW’s ID.2all EV concept premiered today;

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... uros-15625

https://insideevs.com/news/657415/volks ... ctric-car/

I think it looks good - much better than any of VW’s current crop of EV’s IMHO. The exterior dimensions are very similar to the current Polo so I’m assuming that’s the market it’d be targeted at. Initially I thought it was a three door, but it’s a five door - presumably the rear door handles are ‘hidden’ in the black trim piece at the trailing edge of the rear windows (mk2 Seat Leon style). The rear end made me think of one of the early generations of the Seat Ibiza.

If the production version is true to the concept and assuming VW will have put their current software woes well and truly behind them it’s launched, I’d be interested. 🙂
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: ID.2all concept

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I dont think this would arrive in our neck of the woods anytime soon but must agree, it looks good.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Looks great but the id3 was meant to be affordable and is now £39k starting. A golf gti is only £36-37k and will have a better range.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

As above... "looks decent".

But the sad thing is, I'd be willing to bet when it actually comes out, that the price will be much higher than they imply!
Happy to be proved wrong :D
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Post by arkay »

I have been very impressed by the launch of this (hopefully) affordable EV. The industry is in dire need of a dose of realism as regards prices for cars of this size. I have a Polo already so would be more interested in the proposed ID.1 (<£20000) to replace my Seat Mii electric (32 months old) in maybe 4 years time?
I saw that the new Designer at VW - Mindt I think his name is - said the whole design process for the ID.2All took only 6 weeks. Impressive if true!
The new CEO Schaefer seems a really smart guy. I only hope they can deliver what they promise at the prices they say.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Actually looks okay. Would be interesting to see if they do a GTi or 'sporty' version.

Still prefer the UrbanRebel and looking forward to seeing more from that.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

S_94 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:47 pm Actually looks okay. Would be interesting to see if they do a GTi or 'sporty' version.

According to VW there will be a GTI version of this model.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-ha ... ion-id2all

No doubt VW will include monthly subscription based services with this model when it launches, hence the "affordable" purchase cost. So if you wanted heated seats, et al, you will end up paying a lot more monthly than the sticker price.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:38 am
S_94 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:47 pm Actually looks okay. Would be interesting to see if they do a GTi or 'sporty' version.

According to VW there will be a GTI version of this model.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-ha ... ion-id2all

No doubt VW will include monthly subscription based services with this model when it launches, hence the "affordable" purchase cost. So if you wanted heated seats, et al, you will end up paying a lot more monthly than the sticker price.
@S_94; From what I’ve read, the ID.2all is VW’s equivalent model of Cupra’s UrbanRebel, so the GTI version would very likely get the same battery / electric motor as the sport(iest) version of the UrbanRebel. VW have always tended to be quite conservative with their designs - much more so than Seat / Cupra, so that may have influenced the design of the ID.2all. If the ID.2all is the direction that VW is going with their design language for EV’s, then IMHO it’s a significant step in the right direction. I’ve always considered the current ID.3 to be a rather ugly, ungainly, slightly gawky looking car and there’s something about its proportions that don’t really work for me. How can the Cupra Born look so much better (to my eyes anyway) when it’s essentially the same car as the ID.3?

@OomStu_ZA; subscription based services seems to be the way that car manufacturers are going, with the ability to activate options and features after a vehicle’s been built / left the factory. So yes I agree, and I think future generations of cars will be built with the necessary hardware/software to support activation of specific options that are paid for via a monthly subscription.

The UK government and private companies now need to get their act together pretty quickly and start putting a EV charging structure in place that’s fit for purpose - a sufficiently large enough number of public charging stations nationwide with rapid and super rapid charge points to eliminate / minimise long queues for vehicle charging, more charging points in towns and cities, solving the home charging problem for people without off road charging facilities, on top of which the cost of public charging needs to be affordable. Without that, then IMHO the general public is never going to fully accept EV’s as a viable alternative to ICE cars.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

I'd definitely have one of these to replace the Polo if it actually happens, I really want to stick with VW for my next vehicle, which will be an EV, but the ID3 looks rubbish, and it costs way too much. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed the the next couple of years.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

If it’s a reasonable price then I’d certainly consider it. But I’m expecting it to be more expensive than the equivalent polo as with all the other electric vehicles they’ve done.
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Just looking through some of the pictures, VW seem to be resurrecting the cassette player :D , you young uns might not understand this. :P
cassette.png
cassette.png (529.2 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Boxerboy
Bronze Member
Drives: Her Polo R. Or my car.

Post by Boxerboy »

ID2 mentioned in our paper today. I pointed it out to my wife and said, here's your next car in 4 years time.

Polo GTI departed yesterday and a tiddler 999 Polo R is due any day soon.

Will indeed be interesting to see where little leccy cars go.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Link to article on the ID.2all on Polo Driver website;

http://polodriver.com/concepts/2023-vol ... tric-polo/