OBDEleven diagnostic scanner?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: OBDEleven diagnostic scanner?

Post by wolfie »

My heart says go out and buy VCDS it's what you want.... :) Head says OBDEleven. It will do the job and do what I need rather than what I want. Bottom line is cost vs usage.

Here in the UK.
Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB Package (3 VIN) = £225 / (10VIN = £299), (Unlimited = £499) (Upgrade 3-10, 10 - Unlimited = £169)
Pros - Very powerful diagnostic tool. Support forums are good.
Cons - Initial cost high for only occasional use/DIYer. Limited to 3 vehicles for higher functions/adaptions. All now have to be registered with Ross-Tech. Not sure how easy is is to transfer original user? [Just checked. Package to re-register cost is £199 with 3 new VINS. That makes picking up a limited VIN device second hand potentially pretty expensive]

OBDEleven/NextGen device + Pro VAG Plan = £100.
Pros - Relatively cheap. Good functionality, adaptions, output tests, etc. Use on as many vehicles as you like.
Cons - Ongoing cost Pro VAG subscription is £49/year additional credits are £18/100. Most higher functions require use of credits. Interface, not sure I'm convinced how good a phone app is to use as a diagnostic tool.

For myself? Doubt I would ever look at much of the higher functionality/coding abilities of either device. Just occasional use fault finding.
Functions I definitely need. Though I'm not sure OBDEleven has them all covered?
1. Diagnostic scan/Auto-scan of vehicle systems. (DTC's)
2. Adaption of components (throttle body/ABS/Battery, etc)
3. Record/graph live data

I'm leaning towards OBDEleven, even though my heart says VCDS is a more capable tool??
Last edited by wolfie on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

If OBD11 is the tool that can do you need it to do, then it's a no brainer to get that one.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

wolfie wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:51 am My heart says go out and buy VCDS it's what you want.... :) Head says OBDEleven. It will do the job and do what I need rather than what I want. Bottom line is cost vs usage.

Here in the UK.
Ross-Tech VCDS HEX-V2 USB Package (3 VIN) = £225 / (10VIN = £299), (Unlimited = £499) (Upgrade 3-10, 10 - Unlimited = £169)
Pros - Very powerful diagnostic tool. Support forums are good.
Cons - Initial cost high for only occasional use/DIYer. Limited to 3 vehicles for higher functions/adaptions. All now have to be registered with Ross-Tech. Not sure how easy is is to transfer original user? [Just checked. Package to re-register cost is £199 with 3 new VINS. That makes picking up a limited VIN device second hand potentially pretty expensive]

OBDEleven/NextGen device + Pro VAG Plan = £100.
Pros - Relatively cheap. Good functionality, adaptions, output tests, etc. Use on as many vehicles as you like.
Cons - Ongoing cost Pro VAG subscription is £49/year additional credits are £18/100. Most higher functions require use of credits. Interface, not sure I'm convinced how good a phone app is to use as a diagnostic tool.

For myself? Doubt I would ever look at much of the higher functionality/coding abilities of either device. Just occasional use fault finding.
Functions I definitely need. Though I'm not sure OBDEleven has them all covered?
1. Diagnostic scan/Auto-scan of vehicle systems. (DTC's)
2. Adaption of components (throttle body/ABS/Battery, etc)
3. Record/graph live data

I'm leaning towards OBDEleven, even though my heart says VCDS is a more capable tool??
Get OBDEleven then.
Mine expires tomorrow and I'm not renewing, although this is currently determined more by me being broke.

I bought it because of how the licencing was initially structured. I'm only a little annoyed that their changes felt like a money grab. Their previous offerings was one of the main reasons I decided to order one. I was not pleased when they changed it without warning anyone.

Will it do the job?
Most definitely.
The phone interface is alright. On the bright side you will have a scanner in your pocket rather than having to lug laptop and cable with your everywhere.
Very handy when you're looking to check faults out in the field.
I still keep a ELM327 in the car just for random fault checks and doing monitoring through other OBD2 apps (the OBDEleven will only work with their app).

For me, the biggest benefit to VCDS is their community. I looked there for information on doing things in OBDEleven whereas their own forums were of not much help.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

2226 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:47 pm
Get OBDEleven then.
Mine expires tomorrow and I'm not renewing, although this is currently determined more by me being broke.

I bought it because of how the licencing was initially structured. I'm only a little annoyed that their changes felt like a money grab. Their previous offerings was one of the main reasons I decided to order one. I was not pleased when they changed it without warning anyone.

Will it do the job?
Most definitely.
The phone interface is alright. On the bright side you will have a scanner in your pocket rather than having to lug laptop and cable with your everywhere.
Very handy when you're looking to check faults out in the field.
I still keep a ELM327 in the car just for random fault checks and doing monitoring through other OBD2 apps (the OBDEleven will only work with their app).

For me, the biggest benefit to VCDS is their community. I looked there for information on doing things in OBDEleven whereas their own forums were of not much help.
Unfortunately the "money grab" has become standard in the marketplace. VCDS have reigned in their usage on the newer devices so it's not as attractive as it once was. The software industry is now the worst. Once upon a time you purchased the software and it was yours. It probably came with free updates for at least a few years. Now every man and his dog wants a yearly subscription. LOL tiny rant over...

But yeah, all things considered I'll order up an OBDEleven a little later this week. Cheers for the pointers.. :)
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

Interesting. I need to have a look at VCDS again then and see what's changed.

And agreed, I am also not a fan of subscription models especially when it feels like the costs is unreasonable.

I'm sure you'll enjoy OBDEleven. Let us know how you get along.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

or even vas5054
Silver Member

Post by 2226 »

amer6R wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:16 pm or even vas5054
I remember looking at that, but there was something about getting the software.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

free cracked