No Internet connection

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

No Internet connection

Post by MikeDO »

Yet another issue (starting to get a bit fed up with the car now!).

Took the family out for an evening meal and as it was dark, I noticed that the Emergency button on the roof lining was not illuminated green. So checked the Infotainment system and the world icon on the screen was grey'd out!
So no internet connection!
Had a look at the We Connect App on my phone and the last logged fuel usage was on the 23rd March (now the 27th).

Had a look through the manual and could not find a solution.
So had a look at the Data sub menu in the Infotainment system and while "use E-Sim" is ticked, if you tried to check your Data Plan... it first said Activating, then Loading. And nothing happens (IE. still no Internet connection).

So thought "sod it" and drove into the VW Garage in Dumfries and had a chat.
The upshot is that the car is booked in for a couple of days starting the 17th April. They are also going to have a look at the "Travel Assist temporarily disabled" warning that keeps flashing up at times for no apparent reason (sensors all clean).
Free loan car as it's warranty work. Just the hassle of having to keep taking the car in!

Also asked out of interest how long my new "steering column" will take to come. Basically don't hold your breath the nice young lady says, we've had several new steering wheels on back-order for a number of months now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All VERY annoying as I've sort of got used to the last several new cars all being 100% reliable (Hyundai, couple of Fords, RenaultSport, Suzuki etc.)
Just luck of the draw I suppose.

Life.................
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Re: No Internet connection

Post by MikeDO »

As Victor Meldrew was want to say ... 'I don't believe it! '

After a week or so of no Internet connection in the car (or functioning Emergency call button) it just sprang to life today.

I can only assume that maybe the data provider reset some server somewhere and this maybe sorted it.

And now only getting the odd occurrence of the Travel Assist temporarily unavailable message coming up.
So if things stay stable for a few more days, then I'll cancel the garage appointment.

Cars... got to laugh.
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Post by Metman888 »

Is yours still working? I noticed today that the globe icon is greyed out on mine, app hasn't updated in 6 days but I do have a green light for the SOS button
MikeDO
Bronze Member

Post by MikeDO »

Metman888 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:40 pm Is yours still working? I noticed today that the globe icon is greyed out on mine, app hasn't updated in 6 days but I do have a green light for the SOS button
Mine works most of the time now.

Not seen the emergency call button "drop out" recently (IE. it's always green).
But... The Internet connection does drop out at times (even if there is a decent 4G signal). Though it tends to come back after a short while.

One annoying thing that it's done a couple of times recently. Is when I start the car, I'm logged in as "Guest" rather than Primary user. So the We Connect App appears to loose the connection until I set the Profile back to Primary user via the Infotainment system. I'd check that this hasn't happened to you. As if it's defaulted back to the Guest Profile, you seem to then loose the Internet connection (well this is what has happened to me a couple of times).

When starting the car last week, it said something like "you don't appear to have used your profile for a while etc....." on the Infotainment screen and insisted that I login with my Email address / password. Which seemed to set things straight.
It also synced my updated profile nickname (which I had changed a while back but could not get it to sync this manually).

I definitely think some of VW's software is more than a bit flaky :x

PS. The car is currently at the dealer getting the steering column replaced (2/3 day job). To sort my creaking steering. Only then need the new steering wheel to turn up, to hopefully sort my "Travel Assist" problem.
I've only had 3 VAG cars over the years and they've all had loads of issues! Just bad luck I suppose :(
Metman888
New
Drives: 2022 Polo GTi

Post by Metman888 »

I actually got it to start working today. I deleted my profile, did a factory reset and then set up my profile again. Wouldn’t connect first try but gave it another go when I noticed the globe had lit up properly and it worked. It’s the first time since last august I’ve had it happen so hopefully it’ll keep working

Thanks for your reply.