Polo GTI long term costs estimation

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Polo GTI long term costs estimation

Post by raysablade »

I know this is a how long is a piece of string question, but the wife and I have just retired and we are considering options for the next 8 to 10 year, after which we will probably give up driving.

I can no longer get a car through work, she has a 2019 Polo GTi+ she has owned from new. It has 17,000 miles on it. The car is haptic free and perfect for now, so we are wondering about:
  • keeping as our only car
    getting it serviced and maintained regularly and
    depreciating it to death.
Current value seems to be about £17,000.

The only potential fly in the ointment is the cost of maintaining and potentially replacing a DSG over the next 10 years. How much should we budget for that?

The alternative option seems to be trading in the Polo for a recent second-hand a 2 litre Toyota Corolla hybrid at about £25000 on the assumption that it will be less costly to maintain and run over 10 years. That said most of our mileage is 500 mile round trips down south and we can get 50mpg in the Polo on those.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo GTI long term costs estimation

Post by SRGTD »

I also have a GTI+; a 2020 car with around 12,400 miles on the clock. I think that regular servicing and maintenance is key to trouble feee longer term ownership which should minimise the risk of any major costly repairs. My car is on annual time and distance servicing as opposed to VW’s long life service regime, so it gets an oil and filter change every year. I know that oil technology has advanced over the years, but I don’t like the idea of the oil / filter not being changed for up to two years on long life servicing.

I’m not aware of any major mechanical problem areas with the current Polo GTI that you would need to budget for if considering long term ownership. However, a couple of potential weak points I’m aware of with VW’s 2.0 litre EA888 engine in performance Golf’s (the Polo GTI uses the gen 3b version of that engine) are;
  • coolant leaks due to the water pump / thermostat housing failing. Cost to replace these items is around £800 at a VW dealer.
  • blocked heater matrix; if coolant system expansion tank has ‘mit silikat’ printed on the outside, there’ll be a small bag containing silicate in the expansion tank, the purpose of the silicate bag being to help prevent corrosion of the aluminium components of the cooling system and prolong the life of the coolant. These little bags have been known to degrade and split with age, allowing the silicate to leak out which can block the heater matrix. Sorry, don’t know what the cost is to rectify but involves draining and flushing the cooling system, fitting a new heater matrix and coolant and purging the system of trapped air
As for potential DSG issues; I think that VW’s 6 speed wet clutch DSG is pretty reliable (I can only recall a handful of DSG-related issues reported on various VAG forums over the years), so provided it’s serviced at the required intervals - every 40k miles - it should give many years of reliable service.

With long term service ownership of any car, in addition to ‘normal’ regular servicing, there’ll also be consumable items such as tyres, battery and brakes that’ll need replacing periodically - the frequency of replacing these items will depend on how the car is driven and the mileage driven. Brake fluid changes are also due every two years. The air con may need re-gassing if the efficiency of the system deteriorates over time.

I may also keep my current car longer term (I’m undecided on this at present). Whether I do or not, I’ll be buying a good extended warranty in September when the three year factory warranty runs out which would cover unforeseen expenses such as a failed water pump / thermostat housing, replacing the heater matrix and any potential mechanical issues with the DSG. I’d imagine that if the digital instrument display or infotainment unit in the GTI+ were to fail, they would be costly items to replace, so a good warranty would (hopefully) cover the cost of fixing / replacing those items if the worst was to happen.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

I am also an older driver shall we say, have had my Polo GTI since new (2019) and currently have 96000KM's on the odometer. Last year I went to my local VW dealer and got a quote for a new face lift model as well as trade in value on my current car. Needless to say once the numbers were crunched I opted to keep my car and just extended the maintenace plan from 100 000 KM to 150 000KM at a cost of ±880 Pounds. The only thing I need to pay for is tyres, a battery at some stage, shock absorbers, and fuel.

Interestingly when the car was at around 45000KM and now at 95000KM it began to, what the VW mechanic called "fish hooking", jerk while pulling away and driving on cold startups. Basically the car then goes into limp mode when this happens and I visit the dealership who then clear the fault and book the car in to clean the valves due to carbon build up.

Overall though I can't complain and am satisfied to also own the car for as long as possible.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@OomStu_ZA; the poor running that you experienced may have been a consequence of the fuel quality in South Africa contributing to carbon build up over time. I seem to remember you posting a while back that VW ZA had said the facelift Polo GTI didn’t get the 7 speed DSG and the small uplift in engine bhp/ ps that other markets got because of the (poorer) fuel quality in South Africa.

The pre-facelift GTI has dual port injection (I think this may have been dropped on the facelift model?) which helps minimise carbon build up. However, if fuel quality is poor in your country, that might negate the effect of dual port injection, or maybe the pre-facelift GTI in South Africa only got single port injection.
raysablade
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by raysablade »

Thanks for the replies. Seems that the costs aren't going to be big enough to justify a change; that's good news. It is a great car and my better half adores it.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:18 am @OomStu_ZA; the poor running that you experienced may have been a consequence of the fuel quality in South Africa contributing to carbon build up over time. I seem to remember you posting a while back that VW ZA had said the facelift Polo GTI didn’t get the 7 speed DSG and the small uplift in engine bhp/ ps that other markets got because of the (poorer) fuel quality in South Africa.

The pre-facelift GTI has dual port injection (I think this may have been dropped on the facelift model?) which helps minimise carbon build up. However, if fuel quality is poor in your country, that might negate the effect of dual port injection, or maybe the pre-facelift GTI in South Africa only got single port injection.
@SRGTD I think you've hit the nail on the head there mate. Here in SA we use RON95 and RON93 so makes sense then, you guys have RON98 there right? I did previously post that in SA we kept the original engine and gearbox when the face lift launced (another reason not to change over because its the same setup).

The VW mechanic had me confused though because he kept referring the the engine as an MPI when in fact its a TSI but who am I to correct him :).
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:48 am
SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:18 am @OomStu_ZA; the poor running that you experienced may have been a consequence of the fuel quality in South Africa contributing to carbon build up over time. I seem to remember you posting a while back that VW ZA had said the facelift Polo GTI didn’t get the 7 speed DSG and the small uplift in engine bhp/ ps that other markets got because of the (poorer) fuel quality in South Africa.

@SRGTD I think you've hit the nail on the head there mate. Here in SA we use RON95 and RON93 so makes sense then, you guys have RON98 there right? I did previously post that in SA we kept the original engine and gearbox when the face lift launced (another reason not to change over because its the same setup).

The VW mechanic had me confused though because he kept referring the the engine as an MPI when in fact its a TSI but who am I to correct him :).
Yes, super unleaded petrol in the UK is RON 97, 98 or 99, depending on the brand of fuel used. ‘Normal’ E10 unleaded is RON 95.

Like you, I’m not planning on ‘upgrading’ to a facelift GTI either; the salesman I dealt with when I bought my current car contacted me a couple of months ago and tried to persuade me to ‘upgrade’ but I politely declined. I’m not a fan of the haptic steering wheel controls or the heating / aircon control touchscreen (no buttons or rotary dials) in the facelift model. The IQ.Light LED Matrix headlamps in the facelift GTI are nice though.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member

Post by OomStu_ZA »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:12 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:48 am

Yes, super unleaded petrol in the UK is RON 97, 98 or 99, depending on the brand of fuel used. ‘Normal’ E10 unleaded is RON 95.

Like you, I’m not planning on ‘upgrading’ to a facelift GTI either; the salesman I dealt with when I bought my current car contacted me a couple of months ago and tried to persuade me to ‘upgrade’ but I politely declined. I’m not a fan of the haptic steering wheel controls or the heating / aircon control touchscreen (no buttons or rotary dials) in the facelift model. The IQ.Light LED Matrix headlamps in the facelift GTI are nice though.
I agree with your last comment re IQ headlights but still find the rear lights (now stretched over the tailgate) fugly. The haptic feedback is also a no no from me as well as that clown steering wheel. Once you see it you cant unsee it :P
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:48 pm I agree with your last comment re IQ headlights but still find the rear lights (now stretched over the tailgate) fugly. The haptic feedback is also a no no from me as well as that clown steering wheel. Once you see it you cant unsee it :P
Agree; VW clown face steering wheel (with the instrumentation dials being the eyes);

IMG_0272.jpeg
IMG_0272.jpeg (77.04 KiB) Viewed 1084 times

And clown face for comparison 🤣;

IMG_0274.jpeg
IMG_0274.jpeg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1084 times