Can you retrofit an OEM head unit?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
polo_enjoyer
New
Drives: 2017 BlueGT

Can you retrofit an OEM head unit?

Post by polo_enjoyer »

I've got a 2016 polo and want to replace its head unit/ infotainment system with one from a 2017 model because afaik 2017 6R polos all had CarPlay. I know that their units are both the same shape and everything so fitting it wouldn't be an issue, however the one I've found on eBay says it will need decoding before use which I don't know how to do. I looked it up and apparently it's an antitheft measure so does it also stop people from replacing their car's head unit? Thanks in advance if anyone can help me with this
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Can you retrofit an OEM head unit?

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes you can fit it, but I'd advise that as soon as you fit it, you check all its functions as CP, ie component protection will kick it sharpish - maybe leave the ignition switched off while checking it over.

To get CP removed from that new, any good proper VW Group Indie that has the correct VW Group workshop licenses should be able to do that within maybe 30 minutes - they will need to connect your car up to VW Mothership - so make sure that you remember any changes that you have made wrt programming or personalising any controllers away from factory settings, same goes for any re-prog'ng of the engine ECU.

Taking it to a proper VW dealership some times does not work as this is far too advanced an operation for them!

Just make sure that it has been confirmed that it has not been stolen or removed from a stolen car, if it has come from a stolen car, and reported to VW Mothership, then you will never get CP removed by the official route, also remember that you can't just swop these units back over after getting CP removed as VW Mothership now has this next one as being the correct one for your car and so if you eventually want to swop back, then once again CP would need removing from your original unit. In reality what is done is that that "used/assigned" head unit gets rendered back to being a virgin unit, and then added to your car - and VW Mothership records for your car changed.

Edit:- there might even be extra re-coding to be carried out on your car to reflect this change, any thing that needs changing after fitting this, can be done using VCDS or similar, no doubt someone has already made this swop and can jump in and add to this.

I'm sure that I had to make other changes, other than add in a DAB aerial pre-amp when I swopped the radio on my old Audi S4 - but things have moved on, getting CP removed on it only cost 0.5hour tech labour at my local proper VW Group Indie, that sort of job was nothing unusual for them to do.
crazy4alfa
New
Drives: Polo 9N3

Re: Can you retrofit an OEM head unit?

Post by crazy4alfa »

No problem if you get headunit with CP removed.