Loss of power/engine coolant query

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
AlexT99
New
Drives: 17 Plate VW Polo mk5 6C 1.2TSI 90PS

Loss of power/engine coolant query

Post by AlexT99 »

Car wasn't driven for 12 months. Hasn't had a service in like 2 years. Car was in limp mode at first. Engine management light and EPC light on. Error said the turbo actuator was stuck so I had to unstick that with a bit of force and WD-40. Did the trick.
Got her up and running. Eased her in gently. Topped up oil as it was low. Filled her full of E5 a few times.
Then started having some fun with it.
However, as I was cornering and playing with the accelerator, I felt a loss of power and a rough feeling. Like I had just got a flat tyre. Checked the rev meter when going around a roundabout and it seemed to be surging down to 1-1.5 maybe even under.
Pulled over 5 minutes later, tyres not deflated. Idle seem d relatively stable. Opened the bonnet up and had a look about. Only thing I noticed was that the engine coolant was bubbling like hell. Although, I never look under the bonnet after giving it some gas so maybe that's normal?
I'm not sure if it's bubbling or if it's water/coolant flowing from the top pipe into the tank. Engine bay did seem quite hot. Although temp guage bang on the middle as it normally is. Oil temp goes to about 110% if I drive aggressively.
Anyway I checked coolant when it had cooled down, it was low, but not too low. Below the minimum line but not empty.

I'm concerned that I may have blown a head gasket. Or worse? It does seem way less powerful than before that episode. I mean, maybe not driving for a year has some consequences for an engine and all its seals etc.

I'll top coolant back up to maximum, got a fluid from Halfords which is COMMA XSTREAM G40. Bloke said that's the stuff I need. Says on it approved by VW. TL774-G, which I believe is G12 plus-plus.

Says in the owners manual that car is filled at the factory with at least 40% G13. TL774-J

Am I ok to make up some 50/50 mix of TL774-G G12 plus-plus to mix in with the existing TL774-J G13?

Does it need to be 40% coolant to 60% water as in the factory or will 50/50 be ok?

I got some battery top-up water which they said is distilled water to mix it with.

In the book it says coolant is dyed purple.
Looks red/pink in the tank. Unless they mean G13 is purple when undiluted.
New Comma XSTREAM G40 bottle from Halfords is pink and it's a concentrate.

TLDR:
Can I mix the two coolants G13 (TL774-J) and G12 plus-plus (TL774-G) ?
And what do you think happened to my car?
Oil cap seems clean.
No white smoke coming out of exhaust.
Only signs are weird rumbling feeling with loss of acceleration, low coolant level.

When I rev it in neutral it sometimes gets stuck at 3900k.
"Soft limiter"? What doesn't make sense is that I can drop car into neutral while driving, clutch down or up, and sometimes it wil rev to redline but 30 seconds later stop at 3900k.

Shall I just sell it before it breaks down from engine failure :mrgreen:
I don't want to it's my baby :(

EDIT
Forgot to mention I smelled some burning as well. Not tyre burning or brakes but something else.
I also smelled that smell again faintly when I revved to redline while rolling in neutral. Then later a soft limiter only allowed 3900 even though I did it the exact same way :?:

Car is a 2017 6C 1.2tsi 90PS