Dented my car

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Nitefury90
New
Drives: 2021 automatic 1.0tsi 999cc match

Dented my car

Post by Nitefury90 »

Today was the first day with my polo and I dented it while working it in my narrow apartment garage. There is damage to the wing front left wheel and also scratches and paint transfer on the door. Any suggestions?

Should I consider a body work job at VW approved centre? Should I leave it as it is ?
Should I claim insurance?

This is my first car ever and I am quite disappointed to be honest. :roll:
Attachments
IMG-20230929-WA0007.jpeg
IMG-20230929-WA0007.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1809 times
IMG-20230929-WA0009.jpeg
IMG-20230929-WA0009.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 1809 times
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Dented my car

Post by SRGTD »

Ouch! That’s a real sickener for damage to happen on day one of ownership of your first car 🙁. If it was me, I’d definitely be getting it repaired: even if the damage is purely cosmetic, I’d hate driving around in a damaged car.

It doesn’t take much damage these days for repairs to be very expensive (see recent discussion thread at link - https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=78677), so you may need to consider going down the insurance claim route. Your insurance company will want you to use one of their recommended repairers but your insurance policy should also give you the option of using a repairer of your choice if the insurer’s recommended repairer isn’t VW approved (using a VW approved repairer should maintain your car’s bodywork warranty).

Be aware that if you do use a VW approved repairer who’s not one of your insurance company’s recommended repairers;
  • there may be an increased excess to pay under your policy
  • you may not be entitled to the use of a courtesy car while your car’s being repaired
  • if there are any problems with the quality of repairs - e.g. poor panel fit, poor paint colour match and finish - your insurance company may be unwilling to help resolve these issues.
VW approved repairers can be found at the link below - input your location and the search results will return a list of the approved repairers in your area.

https://volkswagenapprovedrepair.co.uk/ ... ocator-map

Hope you get it sorted quickly. Please keep the forum updated on progress and please also post up some pictures once your car’s been repaired.

Good luck!🤞
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Definitely get it repaired, I'm sure you'll be annoyed with yourself every time you look at it if you don't, but wait a few weeks until you get fully used to parking it in your narrow garage, you'd be even more annoyed if you got it repaired next week, and then did the same thing again a week later. :?
Nitefury90
New

Post by Nitefury90 »

I have a VW insurance as it is in the complimentary five days policy. The policy expires on 2nd October. The showroom guy says that I have to pay 500 pounds excess if I claim insurance.

Should I go the VW insurance route?

Also, do I need to inform them about the incident within 24 hours.

Thanks
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Nitefury90 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:04 pm I have a VW insurance as it is in the complimentary five days policy. The policy expires on 2nd October. The showroom guy says that I have to pay 500 pounds excess if I claim insurance.

Should I go the VW insurance route?

Also, do I need to inform them about the incident within 24 hours.

Thanks
Only you can decide whether or not to claim under your insurance to get your car repaired. However, if you are intending to go the insurance route to get your car repaired, details of how to make the claim should be outlined in the 5 Day Complementary Insurance Cover booklet. If specific timescales for notifying the claim aren’t provided in the policy booklet, then IMHO it would be advisable to contact the claims helpline a.s.a.p. (contact number should be in the policy booklet).

As said in my previous post, car body repairs can be very expensive to fix - the damage to forum member @Harrihealey02’s car at the link in my previous post was similar to the damage to your car and that damage was estimated at over £7,000 to repair.

The benefit of getting your car repaired under VW insurance is that your car will be repaired using genuine VW parts, it should be repaired back to factory standard and you should get a courtesy car while your car is being repaired.

Be aware that even if you don’t claim for your car’s damage under insurance, the incident resulting in the damage to your car would need to be declared when applying for your annual insurance policy to start on 3rd October as it is a factor that could influence the insurance underwriter’s assessment of the risk to be insured.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

The 500 pounds required for excess pails in comparisson to the actual repair cost, so yes I would claim.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

Question. Does the complementary insurance have protected no claims bonus?
As I know that the free insurance that VW used to offer as a purchase incentive, did not (unless things have changed). Something that has caught a few people out over the years.
Just something to think about.
IE. Will claiming on the free 5-day insurance effect your no claims bonus.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MikeDO wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:50 pm Question. Does the complementary insurance have protected no claims bonus?
As I know that the free insurance that VW used to offer as a purchase incentive, did not (unless things have changed). Something that has caught a few people out over the years.
I think the OP may be starting from a base position of zero NCD as this is their first car.
MikeDO
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 2022 (white)

Post by MikeDO »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:49 pm
MikeDO wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:50 pm Question. Does the complementary insurance have protected no claims bonus?
I think the OP may be starting from a base position of zero NCD as this is their first car.
Good point :)
Nitefury90
New

Post by Nitefury90 »

This is very interesting. How do I be certain whether I need to declare this in my next insurance application? Does it help to speak to one of the insurance agents ?

Where can I find more information on rules for no claim bonus
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Nitefury90 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:39 am
This is very interesting. How do I be certain whether I need to declare this in my next insurance application? Does it help to speak to one of the insurance agents ?

Where can I find more information on rules for no claim bonus
The screenshot below regarding declaring accidents to your insurance company is from the Compare the Market website. Not declaring incidents that could affect an insurer’s assessment of the risk - and the premium they require for the risk - could result in the insurance company voiding the policy and refusing to pay claims. Link to the full list of FAQ’s that the screenshot was taken from;
https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-in ... ance-faqs/

As for NCD rules - Each insurance company can set their own rules on NCD, although in practice the rules will be very similar from one insurance company to another. The article at the link below gives an overview on NCD;
https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-in ... lsrc=aw.ds

Nitefury90
New

Post by Nitefury90 »

So the update is that I have claimed insurance on repairs. It will be costing 3400 pounds. VW will be covering it. My next insurance increased by 300 pounds because of this.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Nitefury90 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:26 pm So the update is that I have claimed insurance on repairs. It will be costing 3400 pounds. VW will be covering it. My next insurance increased by 300 pounds because of this.
I think I would have also have claimed on insurance, considering the cost of repairs.

Hopefully it’ll be repaired soon and back to its former glory, and you can put the experience behind you and get on with enjoying your car.