Aw GTI intercooler.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andrewvw8
New
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI stg2+

Aw GTI intercooler.

Post by Andrewvw8 »

Hi All,

A few quick questions about fitting a bigger or aftermarket cooler.

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket cooler?
Did it make any difference?
What are the available options? i have seen Wagner? Revo released their version this week.. anybody else?

Tia
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Re: Aw GTI intercooler.

Post by ad_182_uk »

They are the only two I am aware of, might be some universal or cheaper copies somewhere but not seen them.

Cannot talk from experience but it appears most the well known tuners suggest the intercooler upgrade adds 15-20bhp as this is the only difference in terms of hardware between ‘stage 1’ and ‘stage 1+ or 2’.

Im no engineering / mechanical guru but the lower intake temps from an uprated cooler supposedly are just beneficial in general.

Maybe worth a watch here of a guy fitting a intercooler to his unmodded stage 1 mapped mk8 golf R and then getting it dyno’d again with and seeing a bit of a hp increase.

https://youtu.be/3IFXtCo69t4

Imo £700-800 is alot and then fitting which means taking the bumper off and so on so easily another £150-200 for fitting is alot for little gain. Luckily REVO have offered me their new stage 2 kit for a significant discount which basically means that intercooler cost is free so I will be opting for that.

I’m sure for most a stage 1 and 250 bhp is more than enough for the FWD polo. I might be needing new tyres more often than not if REVO’s 280bhp stage 2 claim is correct :D
Andrewvw8
New

Post by Andrewvw8 »

cheers for the above info..

I have not doubt that you will be needing new tyers lol...

I'm currently running is38 haven't had it on the dyno...butt dyno i would think around the 260-280 hp mark but need a cooler as the heat soak kills the power after a single run and the turbo if defiantly not at its full potential...

I Would think the cooler will be the final piece needed to get all the other mods in harmony for her to be around the 300hp mark which would be the ideal number if you can keep the power down..
ad_182_uk
Bronze Member
Drives: 19plate AW GTI+ / (9n3 GTI gone)

Post by ad_182_uk »

300 :shock:

Yes the heat thing was my main reason for going the whole kit just to get more reliable power and less strain on the oem hoses.

I’m sure most will say you need a proper LSD or shoulda just bought a Golf if going that power.
Andrewvw8
New

Post by Andrewvw8 »

Golfs are not as playful as their smaller brothers he he.... :D :D :D

300 if the power is put down is plenty of fun... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
SteveRankine
New
Drives: AW GTI MY2019

Post by SteveRankine »

Hi, I post here since it seems better than a new thread.

I purchased Wagner intercooler a few weeks ago but I found later Racingline started to sell the intercooler for Polo AW GTI.
The spec of Racingline is VERY similar to Wagner though, the price is much cheaper especially in Black Friday sale.

OEM Front Area: 805cm²
Racingline: 1002cm²
Wagner: 1002cm²

OEM Volume: 6.44L
Racingline : 10.04L
Wagner: 11.14L

By the way, this graph seems weird since x-axis is indicated as intercooler outlet temp. but this should be y-axis as what we want to reduce.
I can't read which temp. is reduced by 20.5degC.
Polo GTI AW Performance Intercooler 2.0 TSI RacingLine.png
Polo GTI AW Performance Intercooler 2.0 TSI RacingLine.png (52.2 KiB) Viewed 900 times