Slight Shiver on Tickover

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Slight Shiver on Tickover

Post by Casbantam »

Hi there,

I have a 2016 1.2 TSI 55k. It's just been serviced and I have noticed that on tickover the car seems to shiver every 5 secs or so. There is no lights on dash and the car drives fine.
It's not done this before but on a previous car the garage had put in new Sparks and the gap on one was incorrect. Garage is closed till new year.
According to the service sheet the Sparks have not been changed. In fact the car has never has new plugs. Does this seem normal for the mileage? Is there anything I can check easily I am a novice :D
Thanks for anybreplies
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Slight Shiver on Tickover

Post by RUM4MO »

My wife has an August 2015 1.2TSI 110PS Polo 6MT, the VW advice was always to replace the spark plugs at 4 years or maybe 60,000 miles, my wife's Polo is now at almost 47,000 miles, and I've replaced the spark plugs twice, ie at the "year 4" service and then again at the "year 8" service, for me it just makes good sense, I only ever NGK spark plugs in our VW Group cars, either VW AG branded NGK or just same model NGK spark plugs. I also replaced the air filter at the "year 4" and again at the "year 8" service.

Saving money by missing out on replacing some service items can sometimes make no sense at all.

Edit:- a top tip might be to try to find a proper garage that uses the car manufacturer's service schedule instead of "what we've always done since 1950".
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks RUM4MO.
It is a independent VAG garage so surprised by this.
Think I will get someone to put some new Sparks in and see how it goes from there.
Cheers
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Mine has done this shiver for a long time. I'm on 80,000km.
That was one original plugs and new NGK plugs.
Never thought much of it, but now my car is logging thousands of misfires without error codes.
Still trying to figure it out. I know carbon build up can cause a miss so that's what I'm hoping to dig into soon.

New plugs are usually pre-gapped. Especially the platinum and iridium ones since messing with those electrodes can mess them up.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Gonna take it back to the garage when it reopens. Very strange that straight after the service it has started doing it.
Looks like a set of plugs costs around £70. Car is 7.5 years old and done 55k on original plugs. Like RUM4MO says daft not to change them.
I guess they take them out and if they look OK that's that.
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:48 am Saving money by missing out on replacing some service items can sometimes make no sense at all.
Edit:- a top tip might be to try to find a proper garage that uses the car manufacturer's service schedule instead of "what we've always done since 1950".
While I wholeheartedly agree with your above statement,please take into consideration that the dealership/garage may only be doing what the customer requested as far as servicing is concerned, I’ve been in the trade 40 years and have recently noticed customers requesting a oil change service when the vehicle is due much more.ie brake fluid,timing belt replacement etc.
This is two fold, costs have gone up considerably (parts and labour) , people want a stamp in their service book so they can keep its service history but only what the minimum work done to get that.
Vehicles regularly leave site with defects at the end of the day it’s the customers car and the customers paying the bill so the dealership can only strongly advise this work is carried out.
By sticking rigidly to the manufacturer schedule and prices dealerships would not get the work,it’s better to do some maintenance than no maintenance.

Just my personal opinion
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Can see both points of view CarbonChaos and both have valid points. However I trust the garage and have used them for many years.
They always just do what needs doing and will tell me when they need to change the brake fluid and cambelt etc. The front brakes were done this time for 1st time at 55k I'm a steady driver haha.
They must have inspected the plugs and thought they looked OK and it would save me £80??? Just strange that straight after service I have the shivering! I am of course assuming it is the Sparks but could it be something else?
Will call the garage next week and get booked in.

Cheers
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Sorted. New set of spark plugs has solved the problem. No more shivering.
Thanks for advice and recommendations.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Excellent news!

Mainly my issue with some workshops not fully complying with VW Group's recommendations is, typically the sort of person that takes their car in for servicing is not "car savvy" - that is fine or okay, but, and it can end up being a big "but", as time goes on, the history of what took place during these service visits gets lost, and so only the car owner would know about it - and if they are not "car savvy", any items missed out could mean nothing at all - until something starts to go wrong. Okay many things can go wrong even on a "fully serviced to VW Group's recommendations" but sometimes these money savings end up causing extra inconvenience and so maybe more money than that initially saved.

My younger daughter and her husband, who are completely not "car savvy", handed their SEAT Arona 1.0TSI 115PS 6MT, into a VAG Indie, or maybe just a German Car Indie in London for its year 4 service, the comments made were "spark plugs not replaced as your annual mileage is low, this will get done at next service" - now that is good and fine maybe, as long as they remember about that make sure that happens at the next service, but, and again, another big "but", due to an issue that I discovered that must have happened during that service, I'd doubt if they will be returning to that garage by choice in the future.

The issue that I had discovered was, I felt duty bound, as they are about to have their first child, to replace the spark plugs when they visited us during the Summer - and discovered that for some reason - maybe thought to be good practice, that garage actually removed the air filter to check that it was okay to continue being used - at the mileage of that car, it was due to be replaced at the year 6 service - and while removing that air cleaner assembly, ripped the trunking that connects to the turbo inlet, into two parts - then just fitted it back on, so there was no sealing between the O/L of the air cleaner and the I/L of the turbo - not good!

Okay accidents can happen, but it must have been obvious to that service operative that something was now not right, but nothing was done to resolve that, and that is not very good, is it!

I ordered in a new part and as they were now back down in London, posted it down for them to get a garage to swop over, which they have now finally got done, I'll collect these two parts up when we visit after the new baby arrives and try to work out if they can be snapped back together as well as when new - just in case it ever happens again! When I checked over the new part, it did not look like the two parts as I saw them when swopping the spark plugs, could be easily re-connected, other wise I would have done that at the time and not need to buying in a new assembly!