Heating and ventilation

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Heating and ventilation

Post by Polonut »

The heating and ventilation on my earlier Mk5 Polo was excellent, however this is not the case with my present Mk6.
In the present cold weather - the screen demist problem is very annoying first thing in the morning. It take a hell of a time to clear. I get the impression that the O/S venting is far less efficient than the N/S. Car has 34K on the clock is this a mk 6 charactoristic? - not sure if aircon has been recharged/ attended to as yet.
Thoughts and solutions appreciated.
C
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Re: Heating and ventilation

Post by grazuncle2 »

Not sure if worse but this Mk10 is different to my Mk7

this warms up quicker but also blows moisture up too.. I can start the car in cold weather and drive of and mist come up the screen within a minute.. and I'm scrstching aorund for air con and high speed fan!

on a recent journey half hour in and very warm inside.. i had the air directed down to our feel and the screen misted up at the bulkhead???? why?

It's not as if the carpates are wet and not on recirculation or the air either.. as I say.. just different.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Polonut; I garage my pre-facelift Polo (a 2020 GTI+), so I’m fortunate that I don’t have the misting up issue in cold weather if I’m starting a journey from home. I also keep my air con running all year round which I believe does help to dry the air in the car at this time of year. If I’m away from home and there’s heavy moisture on the outside of the car, any misting of the inside of the screen from my warm breath when I get in soon clears when I direct the airflow to the screen and turn the fan speed up to 2 or 3.

I find that keeping the inside surface of the car’s windows spotlessly clean helps speed up the process of clearing any mist off the inside surface of the glass - with dirty glass, moisture tends to cling to any traffic film build up that happens over time, so takes much longer to clear. Also, ensure you don’t have any damp outdoor clothing or umbrellas stored in the car, and that any carpet mats aren’t wet from damp / wet footwear.

Lastly, if you have particularly bad moisture build up, that could point to a water ingress problem which could then take a long time for the interior glass to clear so it would be worth checking your car’s carpets under the mats for dampness and in the spare wheel well and small recessed storage area to the left of the boot floor for water. Water ingress is a known issue on the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf and cases have been reported on forums over the years; there are around a dozen known possible sources of water ingress on the Golf! 😮 - some (e.g. door / window seals, door speaker gaskets, light cluster seals / gaskets) are age-related as seals and gaskets can degrade and / or fail over time and could also become water ingress points on the current shape Polo as cars get older.
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

My 2018 AW has been as you describe since new. Definitely no water egress. I seem to have better sucess keeping the screen clear by NOT aiming the air at the screen.
I agree keeping it clean helps a lot.
When ever i get in the car on a cold or damp morning i put the control straight to feet and blow full speed air into the footwell for 10 seconds or so. This seems to get rid of the damp air in the system. It works for me anyway.
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Post by Polonut »

Thanks for the input Guys - helpful. Since original post, misting has been slight and easily and quickly corrected. I can only think that on the one occasion (?) when the screen was totally heavily misted, I had left some rain soaked clothes in the car overnight.
I have considered getting rain X - any one used this, if so, has it been successful? I will make sure inside of screen is kept clean as recommended.
C