Steering rack upgrade from PR-1N2 to PR-1N4

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Re: Steering rack upgrade from PR-1N2 to PR-1N4

Post by Jay-Jay »

I am not going to replace the steering pump, but the steering rack.
And I can't connect the G250 sensor's wiring to the new PR-1N4 steering rack (6R1 423 055 M), because it doesn't have the G250 sensor's housing at all.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Ah, sorry I had kind of forgotten about that even although I knew why you were making this change!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Today I've finally replaced my steering rack with the PR-1N4 one.
These are a few pictures of the old PR-1N2 steering rack I removed and of the front subframe:

This is the PR-1N4 rack installed on the subframe:

As I already said in my first post, the steering ratio is shorter. Now I only need about 1 turn and a half to reach the limit stop of the steering rack from "0" position, but at the same time the steering angle on the front wheels is even wider than with PR-1N2 steering rack.
This is a short video that shows that:
http://youtube.com/shorts/wwqgol1zYKY?s ... lKaSqtTshO

While reinstalling everything together, I also correctly alligned the front subframe with the proper pins.
Now my car desperately needs a wheel allignment, since my steering wheel points to the left and I feel like the front left wheel is a bit turned on the left while I go straight.
BTW, the steering feels amazing. It's a bit heavier, but much more reactive and solid, especially at high speed.
Also some annoying vibrations I used to feel with the old steering rack at about 120-130km/h (most probably due to the wear inside the steering rack), now have completely gone and the steering feels very firm and precise (despite the front wheels still not properly alligned).
I'd definetely reccomend this upgrade to everybody who needs to replace the steering rack.

For those who snooped around on ETKA and noticed that the tie rods for PR-1N2 rack have different part numbers than those for PR-1N4 rack, I installed mines on the new rack without any compatibility issues. As a confirmation, if you read on MEYLE's online catalogue, they have recently unified all the tie rods part numbers under the same numbers indicated as compatible for both PR-1N2 and PR-1N4 racks.
Another curious fact: despite being 1lt (more precisely 0,9lt) the total quantity of steering oil, I only drained and refilled about 500ml.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Good job! thanks for the advice and info.👍

What happened to the wiring that was supposed to go to G250? Did it make any sense for it to be factory installed on your 6R?

---
Fun story that is not a comic:
A long time ago, at a VW workshop, they removed the consoles attached to the carrier assembly - subframe - from one of my old cars to replace the cracked rubber bushings. This 'task', not stated in the repair manual, was done this way to change the rubber bushings more easily than with proper tools, because it is not necessary to remove the consoles or subframe to do this job.

When the parts were reinstalled, the mechanics did not align the subframe correctly and the wheels squealed in all corners no matter how much the steering wheel was turned or the speed of the vehicle. It was a real disaster because it was then very difficult to realign the subframe and the entire steering assembly.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Thank you, Ciclo! :D

I simply cutted and removed the G250 wiring and I left the connector plugged on the pump. Then I used a cutted rubber glove's finger tightened with a little plastic tie to seal the few cms of exposed cutted wiring and protect it from any oxydation and dirt.
Apparently the G250 sensor was there just for no reason, since my ABS Unit is factory coded to read the steering angle from G85 sensor.

Regarding the front subframe allignment, I've always been told that if not done properly, it is still possible to compensate with a wheel allignment on the steering rack.
In my case, I used the proper centering pins, as indicated on ElsaWin. When doing this job, the tie rods, the whishbones and the gearbox mount have to be disconnected, otherwise they apply a little tension to the subframe, not allowing an easy centering.
In my case, this job has never been done and I suspect my front subframe wasn't properly centered from factory or that it could have moved with time and usage of 13 years.
In the end, I think you need less or the same time to do a job correctly than incorrectly. :)
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Cool mod, I'd recommend to get the balking connector on the power steering pump
Danypolo5
New
Drives: Polo 9n3 1.4 tdi bnv

Post by Danypolo5 »

ciclo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:59 am
Danypolo5 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:02 pm I would take advantage of the post to ask if it is possible to mount the same rack (6r1423055p) on a 9n3 polo without esp (1.4 tdi sportline so sport chassis)
Interesting question. According to the diagrams for POLO 9N3 it is the same as for 6R, that is, if it has the G250 sensor connected (for 9N3 with ABS without ESP) it does not have the G85 sensor installed (for 9N3 with ESP).

We installed a G85 sensor in a 6R with an ABS brake unit - without ESP - and at least it worked for the static cornering lights data.😊
viewtopic.php?p=520550#p520550

So you can investigate yourself by installing the G85 sensor in your 9N3 and disconnecting the G250 sensor to find out to what extent it is possible to do what you want to do.

--- More info ---

6R (diagram that I posted in a recent thread).

My J500, 1.2 TSI (ESP).
The connector behind the drain tube is a simple connector/plug without wires. It corresponds to the wires that would go to the G250, but my 6R is with ESP (G85) so there are no wires there and not in the steering rack either.

9N3

T41 (6R... 9N3*)
in the meantime I'm proceeding like buddy jay 💪🏻 but I need a few more pieces because I'm also doing a subframe swap; do you recommend combining the 2 models or is it better to create a specific post in the 9n3 section?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I'm okay with using this topic, the info is relevant to both 6R/6C and 9N/3 cars since the front axle is very similar. Just note you're doing it on a 9N3 in your post please. Looking forward to your contributions.
Danypolo5
New
Drives: Polo 9n3 1.4 tdi bnv

Post by Danypolo5 »

so in the meantime I received the subframe from a 2015 Fabia, plus all new Meyle reinforced arms and heads

now I think I have also found the g85 to use derived from a 9n3; I'm waiting for the pin photos to see if it's in good condition (in the meantime can you confirm that it's right? I could also use one of the 6r but I've already modified my golf 7 steering wheel connector to fit on the 9n3)

if I get it I will start retrofit tests; while the search for the steering box 6r1423055p continues 😉