Coolant Question

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Coolant Question

Post by S_94 »

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted! Hope everyone is well. :)

I had a warning the other night about low coolant level, topped up with some filtered water and that's done the trick for now. A full service is coming up but wanted to get the coolant sorted now. There's been discussions on here before about what coolant is needed (my Manual say G13). viewtopic.php?t=75294&hilit=Coolant&start=30

Looking on Euro Car Parts, will this do the trick? Says 'ready mixed' which is what I'd prefer instead of messing around with dilution ratios.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-q ... -523770522

Assuming I can just use this to top up the current level?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Coolant Question

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes that says it is same as G13, which probably means that it is based on the same BASF coolant additive.

I tend to stick with the latest VW Group offerings.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Hi @S_94. Good to see you back.

A low coolant level might indicate an issue with your car’s water pump and / or thermostat housing - a weak point on VAG’s EA888 2.0 litre engine. I don’t know if the Gen 3b version of this engine as fitted in the Polo GTI suffers from water pump / thermostat housing failures in the same way as the Gen 3 version used in the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf GTI and R, but it would certainly be worth monitoring the coolant level in your car to ensure it doesn’t drop again and also check around the engine block / engine compartment for evidence of leaks / dried up coolant deposits. As your car’s going to be serviced soon, IMHO it would also be worth asking the garage to do a visual check for signs of coolant leaks and maybe pressure test the cooling system for leaks.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks @RUM4MO, will give VW a ring and see what can be bought over the shelf.

@SRGTD - Thanks mate, hope you're well!

It's an interesting one as I've had issues with the coolant in the past (have posted about it here), a couple of years back I had what I thought was a leak. Could quite clearly see coolant coming out of the container, albeit only 1/2 drops. Took the car to VW, they told me they did a very comprehensive pressure test and there were no signs of leakage, very odd! But yeah, will make sure this is checked at the next service and fingers crossed it's all good.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

S_94 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:28 pm Thanks @RUM4MO, will give VW a ring and see what can be bought over the shelf.

@SRGTD - Thanks mate, hope you're well!

It's an interesting one as I've had issues with the coolant in the past (have posted about it here), a couple of years back I had what I thought was a leak. Could quite clearly see coolant coming out of the container, albeit only 1/2 drops. Took the car to VW, they told me they did a very comprehensive pressure test and there were no signs of leakage, very odd! But yeah, will make sure this is checked at the next service and fingers crossed it's all good.
I’m well thanks; hope you are too.

I had what I thought was a coolant leak with my previous 2016 Polo GTI when it was around 18 months old and still under warranty. I got an intermittent smell of coolant when I lifted the bonnet after a run and the engine was hot and the cooling system was up to pressure. I informed the garage when my car was in for its second service to get it logged while the car was still under warranty, so there was a record of it having been reported in case it was an early sign of the water pump / thermostat housing failing.

The dealer did a visual inspection and a pressure test and told me there wasn’t any sign of leakage. The coolant level never dropped though, but I could still smell coolant (not every time - it was one of those annoying intermittent things) right up to the time I part ex’d the car at 4.5 years old for my current GTI+.