Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
davejulian
New
Drives: .polo 1.6 diesel 2012 sel

parasitic battery drain

Post by davejulian »

Help Please
my lads polo drains it battery after 4 days ive done the test and is pulling
0.49 on the tester ...pulled all the fuses and no change What am i missing?
2012 1.6 diesel uk spec
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: parasitic battery drain

Post by iichel »

All the fuses incl on top of the battery?
davejulian
New

Post by davejulian »

Yes all the fuses.......i just read that you got to wait till the car goes to sleep is that relevant on a 2012?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Yes
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If you have not needed to chase a drain before, maybe try to be able to dismiss the easy ones first, if time allows, and chasing these sorts of drains can use a lot of time up.

Disconnect the battery to make sure that it can retain its charge level when in isolation as it could have a shortish circuit across the bottom of a plate/plates.

After that, has been done, remove the output lead from the alternator - and see if this removes the drain.

After that, I think, that from been through this in the past, find if you can split "the users" - I seem to remember that that can be done, ie like you can end up splitting the possibilities in half.

One thing to be aware of, some drains especially through controllers, require the controller to have its operating power supply AND the possible user that maybe it is switching on at the wrong time also needs to have its power supply - it is very easy to end up chasing your tail and quickly having a smug feeling that you've sorted it out - for it only to still be an issue.

My only experience of this was chasing this issue on a 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V SC - I had come to the conclusion that it was a BCM programming issue, my first SEAT dealer would have none of that and hit me with a chunk of money to replace the steering angle sensor under the steering wheel, it proven to be wrong a few weeks later! Then before I had done more digging into this, that dealership was closed to get converted into high quality housing, but they did say that SEAT would continue to support - but I struggled on for maybe another 6 months before chatting to the supplying SEAT dealership who were not my preferred fixer - I got that wrong as they believed what I was claiming about it being a BCM programming issue, mainly as they had a traded in Polo to sort out. So they checked it for faults, found none and then generated a technical support request to SEAT mothership, that pointed them to where to locate the BCM software patch and down load it - stuffed it into the car, problem solved.

The crazy to me, bit was, that car was at that time 5 or 6 years old and I was looking after it for my daughter who was working abroad for a few years - so that issue must always have been there but the battery was healthy enough AND the car used often enough, to mask that issue!

In conclusion maybe it is not a BCM, only time will tell, any wiring issues that cause "noise" in certain lines can and will cause sleeping controllers to wake up, and if that is happening frequently the battery will get drained - which is probably why my first SEAT dealership preferred to find that sort of issue and hit me with a new steering angle sensor, clockwork spring, fitting and checking!

Edit:- I'd think that faulty wiring at the front door areas and/or rear hatch, could also cause controllers to wake up when sleeping.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

maybe the alternator is faulty
davejulian
New

Post by davejulian »

no the alternator is fine but i tell what its pissing me off lol .....long story short i changed the radio at Christmas ...before you say perm live ,i know sorted that with cabus connections ..anyhow took new radio out still went flat with no media at all
any one wanna buy a polo lol