What do these words mean....

Discuss In Car Entertainment
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

What do these words mean....

Post by sylonien »

although I have some how succesfully installed two systems in my Polo and Lupo, I don't actually know what some stuff means...
  • I've read/heard people mentioning about gauges with cables and stuff like that...
  • When should I get a higher fuse for the power cable, I've got the Autoleads PC-27 Amp kit I believe. Running the Crunch 1x500Watts amp, if I got another one, would I need a higher/bigger fuse? Or even swap the power cable?
  • What does the word "Farad" mean? When do I need a capacitor thingy?
Thanks for any help! Random I know, but I just wanna know about this stuff, as I doubt I'll be sticking with this one sub for now...

:twisted:
^Adam^
Getting There!

Post by ^Adam^ »

gauge (aka AWG) is cable thickness, in general, the thicker a cable is the more current it can take down it.

power cable should be fused within 18" of the battery it is connected to, so you should fuse the power cable a little under what the amps are fused at.

For example, if you amp has 2x30amp fuses, I would fuse the power cable at approx 40/50 amps, if you add another of the same amp I would use an 80 amp fuse.

Farads are a method of measuring the amount of power a cap can contain I think.

HTH
Ice
New

Post by Ice »

For example, if you amp has 2x30amp fuses, I would fuse the power cable at approx 40/50 amps, if you add another of the same amp I would use an 80 amp fuse.
Now this is wrong... voltage drops the longer and thicker is the cable. Rather use 5-10A bigger fuse or the same the amp has. Never smaller.

Little help -> http://www.dc-ice.ee/pics/power.jpg
^Adam^
Getting There!

Post by ^Adam^ »

Ice wrote:
Now this is wrong... voltage drops the longer and thicker is the cable. Rather use 5-10A bigger fuse or the same the amp has. Never smaller.

Little help -> http://www.dc-ice.ee/pics/power.jpg
it's up to you, but I would always use slightly smaller, as if a problem occurs, I don't want my power wire between the battery and the amp melting and maybe causing a fire. I would much rather the fuse under the bonnet pop now and again than the doing any damage to the amp or causing a fire.

you need to remember current and voltage are totally different things, my current amp can pull up to 180amps of current, but will the voltage will still be between 12-13.4 volts.

if decent components are used, voltage drop between battery and amplifiers should be minimal, in my last car voltage drop was only 0.2 volts.
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

I see.... well basically I should match the fuse on the power cable as the one in the amps?

Think I gotcha!

What about the AWG (aka gauge) cables though? Like you can get 8AWG or 6 or 0 ?

Thanks for helping btw.
^Adam^
Getting There!

Post by ^Adam^ »

the main sizes of power cable are:

8awg - enough for a small amp e.g. 2 channel running speakers

4awg - recommended for most 'everyday' applications e.g. 4 channel running speakers and sub

2awg - for bigger amps that need a bit more power

0awg (aka 1awg) - for the 'big boys' e.g. big mono amps that have massive current draw.

I have been using 4awg for ages but only know do I have an amp worth of an upgrade, i'm getting a battery in the boot to help the original electrical system, and will upgrade to 2awg most likely