Lumpy running

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Lumpy running

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I fitted a new carb yesterday (well, an old carb that I know nothing about but had sitting in the shed) as my old one was knackered.. this one runs fine most of the time, doesn't cut out in the cold like the last one did, and seems to be a bit more economical than the last one (although I haven't actually had a chance to work out the mpg yet), there's just one problem, just occasionally when I'm accellerating at a low speed at low revs (ie turning into a junction in 2nd gear), the engine starts running a bit lumpy. The tone of the engine doesn't change, but the power comes and goes in lumps. Also, when I'm accellerating, there seems to be less power than usual until I hit about 2,200 rpm, then it pulls just as it normally would.

Can anyone suggest why it's doing this? Could it just be that the carb's been sat in a shed for a few months and something's a bit sticky? I've flushed it with redex, but I don't know enough about carbs to really know what could be causing this..
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Did you replace the carb/inlet manifold gasket or rubber seal or whatever it is?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

The rubber block that the carb sits on, or another seal? I didn't change the rubber thing.. but then I didn't change it last time I took the carb off and it seemed alright, it's in good condition anyway. If you mean another seal.. um.. nope :? Fraid not, didn't know there was one. Might just be the problem I guess..
mk2keel
Bronze Member

Post by mk2keel »

Have you run loadsa petrol injector/carb cleaner through it, you normally have to shove it in the tank with so many litres of petrol dunno if that would help.
Also it sounds like somethings a little sticky there, have a mate check it over if you can see if they can find anything.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yeah, I did a carb flush with redex.. poured about 1/4 bottle in the top and had some fun covering the village in white smoke :) I've also got a bit in the petrol tank, I'll stick some more in though.
I'd have a mate take a look at it, but the only person I know who has a clue about cars is my mechanic, and he charges £35/hour, which is about £35 more than I can spend at the moment :? Don't suppose spraying wd40 in the top is likely to make a difference? :)
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Stop messing about and buy this

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... php?t=8383

Exactly what the doctor ordered :lol: