Injection conversion

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Injection conversion

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this being done, I'd like to convert my mk2 1043 engine from carb to mk3 injection. I know I'd need the whole ECU wiring loom, and odd bits like a lamda probe which I don't have at the moment, but is this theoretically possible? Would I need a mk3 head as well to do it? Reason I'm asking is that winter's coming and the automatic choke is shockingly poor, so even after running the car for 10 minutes it'll still stall every time I let the revs drop. Last winter I mastered a strange combination of heel+toe and use of the handbrake to keep the revs from dying when I stopped at t junctions, but I'd quite like not to have to bother with that, so I think that fuel injection may just be the way to go if it's at all possible :)
bstardchild

Re: Injection conversion

Post by bstardchild »

GroovyCarrot wrote:Just wondering if anyone has heard of this being done, I'd like to convert my mk2 1043 engine from carb to mk3 injection. I know I'd need the whole ECU wiring loom, and odd bits like a lamda probe which I don't have at the moment, but is this theoretically possible? Would I need a mk3 head as well to do it? Reason I'm asking is that winter's coming and the automatic choke is shockingly poor, so even after running the car for 10 minutes it'll still stall every time I let the revs drop. Last winter I mastered a strange combination of heel+toe and use of the handbrake to keep the revs from dying when I stopped at t junctions, but I'd quite like not to have to bother with that, so I think that fuel injection may just be the way to go if it's at all possible :)
Change the carb to a weber one......

Advantages are

1. A manual choke
2. better fueling
3. better performance

JM2pW
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I've just taken a quick look into it.. I'm feeling a bit grey having just seen that GSF want £154.50 for a 1043 weber carb :shock: Think I'd rather stick to my heel and toe mastery, unless I can find a good second hand one somewhere...
tarquin bevilastard
Getting There!

Post by tarquin bevilastard »

kin hell you can get a complete nz 1.3 engine for that sort of money/or less
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yep.. I got my current engine, gear box, two spare carbs and various other bits and bobs for £50, courtesy of dubs... problem is, neither of the spare carbs that I got with it are better than my current one :( Think I can fix one of them though, just needs a bit of rubbish blasting out of a jet, with luck.