Window winders and door trims

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
bobw
New

Window winders and door trims

Post by bobw »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the best way to remove the door window winders and trim panels without completely wrecking them? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

usually there a cover over the winder that you can pry up from the end that goes thru the door, under there there is a philips screw and 2(?) more under the handle cover that you can pry up by pullin on the open handle inside and going by the gap at the back . then look for any screws round the edge and pull at the bottom, there are clips but be careful and if it dosent come away then look for a screw (hidden?) when you get to the top edge try lifting

*this is all suggestion as i have never removed one on a 9n but its the way most doors are held on*
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Well I'm not entirely sure about doors with manual winders, but on my car there are 2 (I think) screws hidden behind the handles on the inside of the doors. On the passengers side the little bits of plastic trim on the handles slide towards the front of the car, so very carefully (it's very soft plastic) lever them FORWARDS, towards the front of the car, not towards you, and they should reveal 2 screws, infact they are spline heads I think.
On the drivers side, the plastic cover can be pulled off by putting your nails (if theyre big enuff!) under the plastic and pulling hard upwards!

After undoing those, there are 5 (?) screws along the bottom of the door, you will need to get down on the ground to see them. After removing these, there are about 8 (a guess, i cant remember) clips holding the door card on. Pull quite hard on the top edge and release them one by one. Then there's a few wires to remove, depending on your model, and the cable for the door pins to remove if you wish to totally remove the door card, if not, this can be left in place.

Now, this is for front doors only, I don't know about backs, I don't have any! And this is how I removed my ones on my S with electric windows, however, I believe your car will have the same sort of handle on both drivers and passengers side, so follow the instructions for the passengers side on both.

They're not perfect instructions, but its been a few months since I taken mine apart! Hope this helps.

**Oh yeh and 2k is right, the car lifts off of the door on the top edge**
bobw
New

New Polo window winders

Post by bobw »

Just call me stupid! They are so easy to take off, it's unbelievable.
Under the handle, around the shaft is what appears to be a spacer ring. Just push this away from the knob and the whole thing can be pulled off. Simple!!!