New Polo Pics

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
o c t a n i u m
New

Post by o c t a n i u m »

Oh... you mean like this? :o :P
Image 8)
dxg

the engine dead spot on the 1.4

Post by dxg »

Mole - you still around??

You might be interested in this...

Recall my problems above, four months later I'm still trying to get them sorted out, however...

As of yesterday, having collected my baby after 3.5 weeks of stealership "fiddling" (at VW UK's direction - it's all getting a bit serious now, anyway back what you might be interested in...)

The 3-3.5k rpms dead spot's gone!! :D :D :D

My ECU was throwing up lots of false warning lights (ECU and Engine sticking on). After a few trips to get them reset, I'd had enough and asked for a real fix.

Basically, when collecting the car yesterday I got the service manager to admit that VW is "having problems" with their ECU's at the moment (not just on the polo) - basically the tolerances for what the ECU is allowed to accept mix-wise coming out the exhaust are too tight - so when it falls out of this narrow band (i.e. changing down gear and screwing up the rev-matching) - lots of warning lights because the ECU isn't programmed (out of the factory) with an ability to correct for it.

What they did for me was:
1. get new ECU software from VW Germany.
2. load onto to ECU
3. find out that reprogramming the ECU has killed it (hence, one week job went to 3.5).
4. order new ECU from germany with the new software already installed.
5. attached to car
6. return to a quite frankly stunned customer who though dead spots were more to do with friction, harmonics, and other mechanical things - not a software problem.

Cue lots of - letting a big gap open up in front - drop down to second - flooring it up to the rear of the car in front - type driving

V. pleased with this result - just thought you should know, it might be worth speaking to your dealer to see if this can be done for you.

Of course, I've still go other problems with it - but let's not go there...
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Nice to hear you have got that sorted out, sounds like a few people were experiencing it... Now all that needs to be done is for VW UK to recall all the affcted cars and upgrade the software on them.

I've got a squeeky clutch pedal (which wd40 won't fix) and my boot open warning light is constantly on (although quite dim) - think it could be an earthing problem, or a loose connection... Need to get it to the stealer asap as both problems are bugging the hell out of me!

Good luck getting your other problems fixed!
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Well 1 things 4 certain, i won't be buying a new VW! :lol:
I've owned a Mk2 Golf, a Mk2 Jetta, 1973 Beetle and now a Mk4 Polo and had no problem with any of them!
After speaking with a couple of Beetle and Mk4 Golf owners, it seems every car VW have produced in the last 3 years has some sort of problem. :roll:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

dxg, hello mate, not been on for a while, but here I am.

Interesting story, perhaps I should say I have lots of warning lights on and off and get them to replace the ECU :)

Not done anything to my car, oh except some R32 pedals :)

Saving up for suspension and body kit now.

Speak to you soon.
Mole
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

dxg?? im from loughborough too!! well at uni here and spend a lot of my time here. :)
Tas

ps, u seen my black polo about?
dxg

Post by dxg »

I do recall a black gti parked in car park 7 a while ago, haven't seen it recently, though...

This was during the summer break, though - i seem to remember the car park was pretty empty... It was parked in the little bit behind the civil eng labs. There's also a purple, lowered, debaged mk4 parked there a lot - but I guess that's not you?

I would invite you round to have a gander the new polo (*spit*) up close but (guess what?) it's broken and in the garage at the moment...

You could also past ___ ___ (opposite B&Q) and have a look at their Lupo GTI which I have finally decided _not_ buy. They still want 14k for it!

Small world, eh!
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

yeah do park in there mate. seen the purple mkIV too.

funny about ur car being in at vw caus mine is too!! is urs at **** *** [Removed by dxg]???? thats where mine is. was looking at the lupo this morning! LOL!
small world indeed!
Tas
dxg

Post by dxg »

blackgti - I hope you don't take offense at the above edit - i just think it's for the best.

Out of interest - what did you think of the Lupo??