Post by tt509 »

Keep us informed mate
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by skipster »

tt509 wrote:Keep us informed mate
No worries buddy! Yes - I am not the only one it seems to have had these concerns.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

I noticed a small amount of smoke from mine when it was driven from cold this morning, first time I have noticed it.
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Sorry been so slack on updates but I had a new engine put in my 2011 gti and ive just done 2000miles and the oil light has came on again! Vw want to do the " oil test " again grrr. Any one else having problems?!
Arun
New

Post by Arun »

I had the piston scrappers replaced, done about 800 miles no issues, yet.
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Arun wrote:I had the piston scrappers replaced, done about 800 miles no issues, yet.
Mines in next week to get them done.

Any issues with the car, i'm a bit concerned as they are having to open the engine up.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

My car is going into VW this weekend (to be kept for a week) while they do the oil test. Not happy at all but have no choice. I have never heard of piston scrapers though, this sounds a better option than having the engine replaced.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

First of the australian delivered polo gtis goes in in august for a new set of rings.....

pis*poor effort VW, really pis*poor....
Arun
New

Post by Arun »

big_amir wrote:
Arun wrote:I had the piston scrappers replaced, done about 800 miles no issues, yet.
Mines in next week to get them done.

Any issues with the car, i'm a bit concerned as they are having to open the engine up.
I was concerned too, but my local VW did a fantastic job. I am going to check the oil level this weekend - will report back
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Maybe I need mine doing then? Apprently ive got " the new version engine " which is different to the 60 plate gtis apprently but who knows hey, have to see what happens...
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

I wonder when this "new version" engine was put into production? I guess 2011 models. Anyone know what they do to replace these piston scrapers? My guess is that it is still pretty major work, involving dismantling the engine. :(
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Pull all under-car plastics off, drain sump, pull sump off and anything in teh way of said sump, unbolt harmonic balancer/crank pulley, pull crank along with pistons out of engine, replace rings, potential requirement of bore re-honing at this stage if the engine has been babied and has developed a lip at the top of the cylinder and the cylinder bore has been "glazed" refit all components, refill with oil then some muppet from service will probably fang it when cold and just put all that hard work to waste....
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Many thanks gavs, I will report back next week on what they say about mine.
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Handed car over to VW this morning so they can start investigating the oil consumption issues. I am hoping to get the car back before the end of next week, depending of course on what course of action they are going to take.
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

skipster wrote:Handed car over to VW this morning so they can start investigating the oil consumption issues. I am hoping to get the car back before the end of next week, depending of course on what course of action they are going to take.
hope all go well for you mate