Members Ride's Area

Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Myself and the Moderator Team decided ages ago that the gallery section should be just that, a gallery.

As it was, the place was just full of chit chat and was very messy.

We wanted a place where you could sit and look at pictures and spec's if you'd got a spare half an hour or whatever... A place free of chat! That's what the rest of the forum is for!

We then spent an evening tidying up the gallery forum, removing all the comments and posts with broken image links etc and Bstardchild still regularly goes through and tidies the place up.

Sorry if this annoys people, but we were asked for a gallery and this is the best we could do and it's not going to change.
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

Josh_PoloGTi wrote:Myself and the Moderator Team decided ages ago that the gallery section should be just that, a gallery.

As it was, the place was just full of chit chat and was very messy.

We wanted a place where you could sit and look at pictures and spec's if you'd got a spare half an hour or whatever... A place free of chat! That's what the rest of the forum is for!

We then spent an evening tidying up the gallery forum, removing all the comments and posts with broken image links etc and Bstardchild still regularly goes through and tidies the place up.
Metz also does a good job with what I miss :wink:
Josh_PoloGTi wrote:Sorry if this annoys people, but we were asked for a gallery and this is the best we could do and it's not going to change.
Boss has spoken 8) It's a democratic Forum after all :lol: (the vote was a while ago :wink: )
Mk2Adam
Platinum Member

Post by Mk2Adam »

couldn't agree more, i think this is another one of those subtle things which makes this such a great forum, if i want comments on my car i'd stick sum pics in the mk specific section, i think porka is an example of how it can get really messy if let to run loose. nothing against porka though, different things for different people and i think this is a great system personally.

keep up the good work mod squad :)
SpikeyG40

Post by SpikeyG40 »

i remember back in the day when u could post replys, and sometimes, i would agree that i do miss it! however, it is so much better without the comments! tidier and much easier to view!

so i agree with the bossman! keep it how it is! it doesn't take that long to PM someone does it! or, if you want people to comment on your car, place a thread in the correct section linking to it! :lol:
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

Hi all
I was on the original comitee of members who decided to change the members rides.

It was extremly messy with some of the posts being pages long. When their that long they become quite tricky to read without being bothered by all the general chit chat that ensued.
We did try having a note telling everyone that the only posts were the ones about that car but soon people were deviating so far from the original car that it decended into chit chat.

We then decided to use the current format. This way we do not add on pages and pages of general chat when having a look at the cars. The idea was that if they want comments then they would post in the appropriate forum. i.e. if i post, then i add one post to the members rides gallery, and then either a copy of the post, or a link in the Mk5 forum.

We found this way was much simpler and cleaner than previous versions. I imagine it has saved the forum quite a bit on bandwidth as the large posts tend to be full of pics and while they were being used to chat they were being accessed more. Just a bit of speculation there.

In my opinion the current format is much easier to use and efficient than the previous incarnations.

[edit] i thought id at lest have a go at the spelling [edit]
mysteryboy

Post by mysteryboy »

I agree... but what can you do
MadManMike
Silver Member

Post by MadManMike »

Yeah I can see both sides...

I'll just post mine in MKIII when I want comments...

:)

Oh and I just want to say well done to all the mods, this is the best forum I go on... I go on a few (Non car related) and they are mayhem...
carmadaaron

Post by carmadaaron »

yeah i think that the gallery should be kept neatly with just pics and a spec list/history etc.

but moderators are allowed to post in the member's ride section, does it mean you are contradicting yourselves?
(see links)
http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=12591

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=14055
bstardchild

Post by bstardchild »

carmadaaron wrote:yeah i think that the gallery should be kept neatly with just pics and a spec list/history etc.

but moderators are allowed to post in the member's ride section, does it mean you are contradicting yourselves?
(see links)
http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=12591

http://www.tigerstyle.co.uk/poloforum/v ... hp?t=14055
Yeah - Mods are allowed (by default of other priviledges in the forum) and as a result "we" make the mistake of occasionally accidently posting forgetting it's a gallery :roll: