Mk2 spec

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Yep, definately quicker off the mark than my newer one :) .... with 2 people and a nearly full tank they managed to pull 50 in a second quicker and 60 in a second and a half quicker than VWs official figs for the III (which you can bet is driver only and half a tank) that I've had trouble beating even fully run-in. Remind me not to try racing you!

I wouldn't try 30-50 in 3rd or 4th though trying to make any kind of speed :D

16.8 as top gear gives you that 88 at 5250 (or so) and max power at 94mph - a better idea than my 17.6 as you have to rev it slightly higher for best power but can't quite eke the speed as high even with the same horses. (that max recco running speed is 106mph btw - so go nuts in top :D)

The 3 is slightly but significantly more aero than the 2 i would say. Mk2 has flat, full width grille with the lights inserted in it, and a distinct break to the hatchback where it angles (the coupe gets off more lightly). The Mk3 has a sloped grille, that is also narrower as the lights are integrated with the body instead (and again sloped rather than acting like a brick wall), and the roof blends more smoothly into even the "flat" hatch (...which itself isnt quite as vertical as the 2). Hence a 3mph speed drop despite similar power ratings. You can't blame it all on the engine, if my maths are right then with 45hp producing 91mph, the III would only need 40hp to reach 84mph (and about 42-43hp to do 88). That's quite a bit more HP gone missing (or added) than is admitted by VW between the two.

Both the carb and the injection versions of the 1 litre are rated at 45hp (well... if you round it to no decimals - dont know what the fractions are for either, and frankly i dunno if it makes so much difference) just at slightly different revs as the carb model's torque range is a touch narrower and sharper (power at 5600, torque at 3200-3600, vs injection 5200 / 2800-3200). Basically it was brought in as an emissions measure both to fit within euro legistlation and to not knacker the cat, and also to make up for the 2 or 3hp loss from the catalyser (hence the popularity of de-cat exhausts to bring the beast up to 48hp or so :D).
It *should* also mean that the engine lasts longer as the 4th gear is higher (5250 revs being at 92 instead of 88) but i think that is made up by having to thrash it more to accelerate - 57 vs 64bhp/ton after all :) (does the mk2 seem to suffer from that slightly weaker torque spread? doesnt look like it!). But, the higher gear (actually all gears higher - different final drive, same cogs on shaft) and electronically controlled injection does make for a slightly quieter and more efficient experience for sure.

la la and thrice la.

you still might want that 5 speed box though :) either to make the best of the narrower torque band or to get something a touch higher than 16.8 for when you dont want to even go 88mph. (Good luck finding an affordable one by the way!)

PS Bstardchild - being a child of the electronic speed limiter age, how does one tell when the valves are bouncing? (apart from the fact you're pulling 65mph in 2nd in a 1-litre :D).... I did hear say that even sans ECU the carbed engines had a weighted governor thing in the dizzy which essentially did the same job - removing the spark when the revs went too high. Is this untrue, did yours break, or did you adjust it? :)

Float those valves!

(and squareback steve, unless your speedo or dyno is way off, or that speed was made with the help of a hill / following wind (hurricane) its hard to trust :D)
(( 0-60 in 13 secs? either it holds that power wellllll beyond peak and onwards to 8000, or thats another dodgy reading ))

As for a pure objective reading of the performance without numbers or anything - you'd be screwed for racing, and it can be described as "good for a speeding ticket but nothing else", but really it's more than adequate almost all of the time, and certainly for it's design use (city and light touring). You'll occasionally get someone in your arse when you have it floored - on the motorway, or if you point it at a hill thats slightly too steep in top (as i did on the way home today, even at 4.30am) - but thats about all... more likely is that you can take on all comers and come out (only just) the fist-waving victor, like a poodle on steroids vs drugged rottweilers. Under legal circumstances you wouldnt notice the difference between it and a 1.3 except for exceptional cases... and it returns better fuel / insurance / tax / oil savings :D
Besides with non-servo brakes and 135 tyres do you really want to go that much quicker? :lol:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Interesting reading that. I know from experience my mk2 55bhp ranger was loads quicker than my mk3 55bhp CL which had the same gearbox and everything. The extra 50kg or so really takes its toll. Plus the cat really doesnt help the lower output mk3's. A well tuned pierburg can give you more than standard hp anyway so Id guess my car was closer to 60bhp having just been tuned when I bought it.