Anyone else think their GTI is s**t? or any polo

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
andy_gdon
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi

Re: Anyone else think their GTI is s**t? or any polo

Post by andy_gdon »

Coming from the rattle ridden death trap that was my 595 abarth, the polo is in a different league. And the abarth cost more...
Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by Shark00n »

Dink wrote:the issue with painted metal visible is next to the trim on the inside of the wing mirror and just above the door speaker so not in a position that is obvious that it can't be helped, it's just that the trim and door cards don't fit

it wouldn't be too bad on a black/dark car but white it stands right out against the black interior.

and the water ingress isn't in via the hole that is left by the windows it comes in through the "door seal"

the issue with LED rears is due to the fact that the headlights are full LED and standard yet the rears are incandescent, even an LED rear option would of been nice

thing is the car is decent enough but it just feels like a 10 year old car after just 10 months so can't imagine what it will be like after 5 years.
Maybe you got a lemon.
Mines 11 months old, 16.000km and it feels brand new. I'm still very happy with it.
The door rattles annoy me a little, but that's because it's a 3 door car and the doors are huge and heavy. Not much you can do against physics like that.
Mine's black so I don't get that interior trim issue.
No media system issues whatsoever, nor speaker issues..

All in all I'm still very happy with the car.

So, maybe you got a lemon, maybe it's not what you wanted and now every little niggle is a big deal. But I can assure you a 1 year Fiesta ST will have more rattles, a 1 year old 208 GTI will have it's exaust tip rusty and ugly looking, and a 1 year Clio RS will have a pricier service.
No car is perfect, certainly not a Polo.
The GTI is expensive but it's still based on a cheap Polo platform. The jump in power and performance is not matched by the jump in quality
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The LED headlights are brilliant; in my opinion they're better than the xenons I had in my Golf. Mine GTI's a manual, and the gear change is one of the best I've experienced in any car I've owned in 39 years of driving.

Quality compared to my previous car (mk6 Golf GTD) is a bit of a mixed bag for me, although I don't know how it compares to a mk7 Golf. The quality of the switchgear on the infotainment unit and the row of switches above it is very good; they feel nice and solid in operation. I've got the optional climate control in my car and the rotary controls feel much more sturdy than in the mk6 Golf. The indicator and wiper stalks don't feel as robust as my previous Golf though. The insert between the front wing and the 'A' pillar is solid black plastic in the Polo (you'll see it if you open the front doors), but on the mk6 Golf it's made of water-absorbing foam, so stays wet at the bottom where it makes contact with the sill for days in the winter, so a potential rust trap on the Golf.

I hadn't noticed the painted metal next to the trim inside the door mirror; my car's blue so it might be dark enough not be that obvious. I'll check it out later. Visible painted metal on the interior of a modern day car is poor though, unless it's a design feature, like the dash in the Beetle. The cost of designing a trim panel at the outset to cover these areas would have been tiny, and added next to nothing to the overall cost.
g7egt
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by g7egt »

Yes have to agree SRGTD
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

what i'm saying that the fronts are full LED which takes a lot of designing to meet the road legal regs and are very good (if a little too regulated on beam reach)

but the rears were redesigned slightly any way to change the shape of the light output and wouldn't have taken nothing to botch in some LED's in but they didn't bother
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

Dink wrote:what i'm saying that the fronts are full LED which takes a lot of designing to meet the road legal regs and are very good (if a little too regulated on beam reach)

but the rears were redesigned slightly any way to change the shape of the light output and wouldn't have taken nothing to botch in some LED's in but they didn't bother
Agree with this, but on the flip side I know someone with faulty LED rear lights on a BMW Z4 and they want £1000 to replace each cluster... I'm sure VW would arrange a similar cost for the 'expensive' units if they could. I'm a little concerned about the front headlights if these sorts of costs are common for LED units...
Blank89
New
Drives: 65 gti

Post by Blank89 »

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your gti. I have had mine for 6 months, 4000 miles and honestly it has been amazing. I thought I heard a rattle but then I found it was the zip on my first aid kit! I thought the left door tweaker was blown but it was just Spotify over bluetooth. Radio, sd card, cd and USB are perfect. I'm even averaging 44 mpg with little effort. Can see me keeping it until the next one comes along.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

Dont have a gti but not been over impressed with my 1.2 tsi. Drinks oil, already had to have the chain and tensioner changed and its only on 45k miles. And it rattles and creaks more than any ford i have owned. Had both a fiesta st and a focus previously and cant see any way this is built any better tbh. The polo is imo the better looking car. However im not sure i would pay the extra costs for another vw again not even to trade up to a golf. Also vw service and repair costs are a joke and the dealers barely seem to want to help other than to rip you off on costs. That said i cant see me getting rid of mine any time soon as its not bad on fuel and would cost more to trade it in.
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6C GTi

Post by Scott Bounce »

Mayhem wrote:Dont have a gti but not been over impressed with my 1.2 tsi. Drinks oil, already had to have the chain and tensioner changed and its only on 45k miles. And it rattles and creaks more than any ford i have owned. Had both a fiesta st and a focus previously and cant see any way this is built any better tbh. The polo is imo the better looking car. However im not sure i would pay the extra costs for another vw again not even to trade up to a golf. Also vw service and repair costs are a joke and the dealers barely seem to want to help other than to rip you off on costs. That said i cant see me getting rid of mine any time soon as its not bad on fuel and would cost more to trade it in.
What ST did you have?
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

Was the older ST. I know a few people who have the new one and love it. People who live over road from me have 2 new STs and a golf R, i hate them hahaha
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Post by nats148 »

I love mine - but I went from a 16 year old Polo GTI so anything was going to be an improvement lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Penarth Blues wrote:
Dink wrote:what i'm saying that the fronts are full LED which takes a lot of designing to meet the road legal regs and are very good (if a little too regulated on beam reach)

Agree with this, but on the flip side I know someone with faulty LED rear lights on a BMW Z4 and they want £1000 to replace each cluster... I'm sure VW would arrange a similar cost for the 'expensive' units if they could. I'm a little concerned about the front headlights if these sorts of costs are common for LED units...
the thing is with LED's is that they last so long that you could pretty much get them changed under warranty if you kicked up enough of a fuss

i imagine the headlights would cost a pretty penny with the amount that goes into control side of the LED's

this is what i mean about interior trim not fitting

Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by Shark00n »

LOL that's a tiny niggle if I ever saw one.
If it annoys you so much grab a sharpie and paint it
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Problem is that is just one fault of many.
g7egt
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by g7egt »

You don't like the car anymore is what you saying so change it.