Question about Electric Door Mirrors

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Re: Question about Electric Door Mirrors

Post by jackois »

I had the same thought as whizzywig, thinking they didn't fold on the SE, until I stayed at my daughter's house in Leeds, which is narrow with parking down one side. The son in law came in from walking the dog and announced he'd folded the mirror in on the car... turned out you just have to be extremely firm with them and he, not being mechanically minded just used more force! :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

jackois wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:10 am I had the same thought as whizzywig, thinking they didn't fold on the SE, until I stayed at my daughter's house in Leeds, which is narrow with parking down one side. The son in law came in from walking the dog and announced he'd folded the mirror in on the car... turned out you just have to be extremely firm with them and he, not being mechanically minded just used more force! :D
I think that on any Polo model without electrically folding door mirrors, they will fold manually. There may need to do this for safety reasons - e.g. if a pedestrian or cyclist makes forcible contact with a door mirror, it should move to minimise the risk of serious injury. As you discovered, you probably need to take a firm approach if you fold the non-electric versions manually!
Manny550
New
Drives: POLO GTI+, GOLF R MK7, POLO GTI+ OPF.

Post by Manny550 »

My polo gti+ 18 and 19 plates both fold as soon as I lock the doors, when I unlock through key or door keyless unlock the wing mirrors fold straight away, you can manually put them up if you move the mirror r/l or heat setting to the folding position, hope this helps.
L1ARR
New
Drives: Hunting for a special 6c GTI

Post by L1ARR »

Thread revival

Am looking at a 2017 Polo GTI, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have folding mirrors. Keen to understand if the motor to fold is already build into the mirror housing. With some VCDS coding and the correct switch is this all I need? Or do I need new mirrors with the correct modules, switch and coding etc?

Can’t seem to find all the correct info. Any help would be appreciated
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

L1ARR wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:31 pm Thread revival

Am looking at a 2017 Polo GTI, unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have folding mirrors. Keen to understand if the motor to fold is already build into the mirror housing. With some VCDS coding and the correct switch is this all I need? Or do I need new mirrors with the correct modules, switch and coding etc?

I think a 2017 Polo GTI would be the previous generation model (the 6c), so you’d probably be better posting your query on the 6r/6c forum board.

I think some forum members have fitted electric folding mirrors to their previous generation (6r/6c) cars. The discussion thread at the link below might help as there are a couple of links within that thread that might be useful.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... rs#p575766

Alternatively, it’d be worth using the ‘advanced search’ function (top right of screen - click on the small cog wheel and enter your search criteria - restrict your search to the 6r/6c forum board). I just did a quick search on ‘folding mirrors’ and there were 24 pages of results 😲 - not all the results will be relevant to retro fitting folding mirrors though, but worth doing a similar search and either scan reading through the results to find the most relevant topics or using more specific search criteria than I did to reduce the number of results.

Good luck! 👍
L1ARR
New
Drives: Hunting for a special 6c GTI

Post by L1ARR »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:53 am
L1ARR wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:31 pm Thread revival

I think a 2017 Polo GTI would be the previous generation model (the 6c), so you’d probably be better posting your query on the 6r/6c forum board.

I think some forum members have fitted electric folding mirrors to their previous generation (6r/6c) cars. The discussion thread at the link below might help as there are a couple of links within that thread that might be useful.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... rs#p575766

Alternatively, it’d be worth using the ‘advanced search’ function (top right of screen - click on the small cog wheel and enter your search criteria - restrict your search to the 6r/6c forum board). I just did a quick search on ‘folding mirrors’ and there were 24 pages of results 😲 - not all the results will be relevant to retro fitting folding mirrors though, but worth doing a similar search and either scan reading through the results to find the most relevant topics or using more specific search criteria than I did to reduce the number of results.

Good luck! 👍
Thanks for this, I stupidly thought I had posted this in the correct forum. Greatly appreciate the response