MKII Squareback Van

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

lol, nope not any more but...
a coupe van! :D
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

They did 'coupe vans' in Germany! Used by the post office most likely they had the van bulkhead and flat rear floor but retained the rear side windows. A few months ago there was a beaten mk2 van dumped in a local pub car park; if I'd had any space :(
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Well only the squarebacks had the metal panels. Heres the numbers

867 810 271 left side
867 810 272 right side
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

thanks dude, i realise ill have to cut em up an stuff but who knows, could look alright???
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Only problem is is theyre probably discontinued parts. :(
D4V1D
Bronze Member

Post by D4V1D »

ah.
i hope not, ive asked on vag parts so i supose ill have to waint an see.
fingers crossed though :D
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hmm.. I've just got back from hamburg, where 2/3 of the cars are german, half of the german cars are VWs and half of the VWs are golfs/polos.. and I still haven't found myself a Polo van :( Did find some very nice polos though :)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

watcha bin dooin in bigmac country?
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Having a very good time - £27 inc taxes return flights, €60 for 5 nights accommodation, €0,45 for 0.5l of lovely German beer (three cheers for the Reinheitsgebot :D ), several existing friends and a lot of new friends.

I try to go to Germany from time to time to practice my German.. I dropped it after AS level, but I want to take a sandwich year in Germany at university (whilst taking natural sciences), so I want to keep it up until I start learning it again. Plus, it's a pretty great place to visit anyway :) I could go on about it, but it's off topic and probably highly uninteresting... next stop Berlin next easter anyway :)
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

sweeeeeeeet

whats a Reinheitsgebot? sounds like a cheap alternative to a night out in london or birmingham... get a 2 day return and sleep in the airport lounge
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Reinheitsgebot - the beer law that the Germans are all so proud of, and rightly so in my opinion. Most of it is irrelevant and dates back to the 14th century, for example you must not pay more than one pfennig for a kopf of beer... but then it gets a little better in this paragraph:

"...that in future in all cities, markets and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail."

Therefore, you get a decent beer with no added rubbish, and most of the time made by a brewery that's actually proud of what it churns out and doesn't just try to flog what it can to any old drunk brit (another thing about Germany is that people get nicely drunk in a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere instead of binging until they puke in some crowded branch of wetherspoons..)

I fear that we digress somewhat from the point of this thread ;)
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

is that also why they're spherical?
well that and the food

:D went to an austrian restaurant with work a couple weeks back, and it was pretty good (rich, delicious, unashamedly lardy and made with swathes of pig.. or in my case, salmon, mmm), the only disappointment (apart from the price!!) being that i was driving and therefore couldnt sample more than a single half pint of any of their fine imported beers

and...
um....

....of which, i bet you could fit a lot into a mk2 van :lol:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hell yeah :D A trip to the continent in the polo was suggested.. couple of crates of beer from each country we visit sounds quite a good idea, and I have a friend with a free dover-calais car ferry ticket... got to be done :)
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

you'll have to get stronger springs!
(not necessarily lower just stronger)

mind you i bet bottled/canned beer is a whole lot lighter per packed volume than paper..
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

My springs are ok at handling load actually... the main reason I wanted a squareback rather than a coupe is that I often have to use it to transport my school's PA system about - two bass bins, two tops, 16 channel desk, 2kW power amp and a load of suprisingly heavy cables. With that lot in, the only thing that catches me out are the school's speed bumps which are particularly viscious anyway. It's not a bad car at lugging around vast amounts of kit :)