Nigel's GTI - The tale of the jumpy throttle continues...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Nigel's GTI - Clutch & Handling Issues

Post by alexperkins »

Lol - is that a rear wiper? Your gonna need a different arm for that if so
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - Clutch & Handling Issues

Post by nigelelliott394 »

Apparently so! I bought it off of si_gti a few months ago... Hadn't bothered trying to fit it until today.

Ahh well, isn't a big deal really.
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Did you have any luck with the handling issues Nigel?

I must have missed your post at the time but it does sound like it could be the shocks to me, when I changed the suspension on my GTI I noticed one of the rear shocks was absolutely knackered which probably contributed to the poor handling. It might be worth getting them checked at your local garage because they will be 10 years old now and may need replacing

Anti Roll Bar & Tyres may also be effecting the handling but even the cheapest tyres out there shouldnt cause the problems you have been having
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

I'd put money on it being the shocks as mine were gone, they just went down and didn't shoot back up as they should. Arb bushes will be shot aswell. Maybe even your bushes in your arms aswell.

Undergoing changing mine ATM....

Good reason to spend some hard earned money on handling goodies lol :D
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

I still haven't had it checked out. I've been driving a lot slower than usual and being very cautious. I've had some other opinions and a lot of people have mentioned the shocks so that's sounding like a big possibility. The car is getting serviced tomorrow so I'll ask the mechanic to maybe check it out and let me know if they're ok or not.

I'm in two minds with what to do with the car... it's costing me a lot of money to run and maintain. I miss the economy of diesel but for me to change to a diesel (preferably a 9n3) i'd end up spending more money than i'd save with the extra MPG and cheaper tax and insurance. I think I may just keep it and finally get coilovers or something.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Coilovers or a H&R 60/40 Cup Kit :) both will give the car a good look and improve the handling massively
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - Clutch & Handling Issues

I'm thinking I'll go for the FK AK street coilovers. Very affordable and a reputable brand (I think!)
That's if I ever bother to buy some. Been talking about lowering it for so long and have put it off so much.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

nigelelliott394 wrote:I'm thinking I'll go for the FK AK street coilovers. Very affordable and a reputable brand (I think!)
That's if I ever bother to buy some. Been talking about lowering it for so long and have put it off so much.
Not really sure about the quality of FK coilovers so can’t really comment but all I can say is being coilovers they will be uncomfortable.
I bought Spax RSX height & damping adjustable coilovers for mine and even on the softest setting they were still really firm.

If I had the chance again I would just go for a decent shock & spring set up but that’s just me being an old fart :)

If your unsure about your plans for the car then I wouldnt take the gamble of getting coilovers, it will only make it harder to sell if you do decide to move on. Replacing the original shocks would be beneficial because it will improve the current handling and wont break the bank either.
You can easily pick up a set of second hand shocks because 80-90% of people with GTI's end up lowering them
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Re: Nigel's GTI - "Is it a 3 cylinder, fella? Sounds like it

Just back from getting the car serviced. What a difference :)

-Oil Change & Filter
-Air Filter
-New Spark Plugs
-Fuel Filter
-Exhaust clamp

Turns out I was driving round for the last (while) on 3 cylinders. One of the spark plugs had blown out of the head. Presumably because I didn't have it tightened enough when I fitted them a while back :oops: Was apparently all sooty. Any wonder I've been driving round thinking "You know, I'm kind of used to this power now after a year and a half... it's time to upgrade....... and the fuel economy isn't great either!" It had been pinking for a while but I just never really bothered to work out why.

My Exhaust had been hanging down at the back for a while so I sort of new something was up there so that's all sorted now.

The car is way more responsive and I'll be interested to see if £20 now lasts me more than 70 miles before the the fuel light is back on again. :)

Safe to say, I think i'll be keeping it for a while yet ;)

My next question is.... Is it easy to adjust/grease a clutch cable?
Verity
Gold Member

Post by Verity »

Good to hear the car is running better!!
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - "Is it a 3 cylinder, fella? Sounds like it"

Hopefully this coming year will see me doing a lot of things to the car I'd always planned on. Money's been tight and I haven't been able to do much other than pay my insurance and run the thing.

Proposed plans are as follows:

-New Clutch Cable
-New HT leads
-Eibach Springs
-EBC brakes
-Set of Yokohamas for the front again
-Bottom half resprayed

I think that seems realistic enough. Nothing too dramatic and there's a few other wee things in mind but those are the main things I think the car needs.
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Did you have any luck with the Gearbox Nigel or does it still need another refurb?

Liking your plans for 2012 :)
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

It did need another refurb unfortunately. Luckily, it was done under warranty. I think the garage that repaired it bodged it first time around. Definitely should have lasted a lot longer than that.

I'm not sure how to prioritise my plans for this year. It will all depend on money which is in low supply at the minute. :(
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice one, glad they sorted it under warranty for you

Hopefully the new refurb will last a lot longer :)
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - "Is it a 3 cylinder, fella? Sounds like it"

I'm losing patience with my car at the minute. It feels like its all piling up on top of me and I don't think I could afford to fix everything at once.

Strange thing happened last night which made me wonder is my car running properly... Was travelling along at 60mph and approached a wee Peugeot 107 that can't have been doing more than 45mph as I closed in quick enough. Dropped to third, moved out in to the overtaking position and accelerated past. Moved back to the near side and checked my mirror...... The thing was glued to my back bumper. I thought maybe it was a performance variant of the 107. Shortly we reached a stretch of dual carriageway and I decided to give it a bit in 3rd. Couldn't shake the car behind me at all. :(

When I got home I googled the Peugeot 107 to see what engines were in them. A 1.0 petrol and a 1.4 diesel. Both of which put out (roughly) half the power of the GTI. Shouldn't I be pissing all over cars like that? My car does have a slight misfire when it's damp but I didn't think there'd be that much power loss? It doesn't feel as quick as it used to that's for sure.

Apart from that, I had my centre caps nicked about a week ago too. So yeah... Not much progress made with me I'm afraid.

With the MOT next month (definitely needs new brakes and I'm not confident in the suspension right now) Tax and insurance all to be paid around the same time... :/ things aren't looking good for my car.