Engine speed sensor fault (16706)

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Engine speed sensor fault (16706)

Post by alexperkins »

That's the sensor. It's massively awkward to get to!!

The starter can normally be moved around. Yours might have a bracket attached on the back
TimGti
Silver Member
Drives: 9n3 1.9 Tdi Sport

Post by TimGti »

alexperkins wrote:That's the sensor. It's massively awkward to get to!!

The starter can normally be moved around. Yours might have a bracket attached on the back
Yeah I think it has, but I can't see in there (even with a mirror its really difficult) to work out how to navigate it out which is really quite frustrating :evil:

Do I need to remove this bracket then you reckon, or negotiate around it?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If you can get underneath the car and remove the undertray you'll get much better visibility of the starter :)

I've done it from above with just those three bolts removed so it's Definately possible to so.
TimGti
Silver Member

Post by TimGti »

alexperkins wrote:If you can get underneath the car and remove the undertray you'll get much better visibility of the starter :)

I've done it from above with just those three bolts removed so it's Definately possible to so.
Got under the car today and sure enough there is a bracket that bolts on just behind the starter, not sure quite why its there! Anyhow undid it and moved the starter out of the way enough to get that sensor out! At last! What a pain in the ass place to put it! Just got to order a new one now and pray that fixes the issue!
TimGti
Silver Member

Post by TimGti »

TimGti wrote:
alexperkins wrote:If you can get underneath the car and remove the undertray you'll get much better visibility of the starter :)

Got under the car today and sure enough there is a bracket that bolts on just behind the starter, not sure quite why its there! Anyhow undid it and moved the starter out of the way enough to get that sensor out! At last! What a pain in the ass place to put it! Just got to order a new one now and pray that fixes the issue!
Thought I'd just wrap this thread up, I installed the new sensor and the fault has not returned since! Happy days :lol:

Car now for sale too :(