Album art to the foreground

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Album art to the foreground

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:39 pm As much as built-in satnav is expensive I personally would prefer it simply due to the integration. Being able to listen to the radio and still have the directions flash up without having to be on the Android Auto screen.

Its a 'meh' thing. I would spec it specifically, but I'd rather use that than android auto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I know I can still listen to the radio using satnav on apple play.
But I think you mean if I'm on the radio screen, an integrated satnav will flash up directions over that?
I can't comment whether apple play satnav does this or not, I'll try it later.
If I'm using the satnav I have it on that screen and not another one.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 pm
IMHO, anyone who specifies satnav when their car has Apple play/Android connect is guilty of being clueless, at the very least. :?
I'd completely disagree with that - I'd much prefer a proper integrated solution if money was not a consideration, the real question is, how much is sat nav worth to you?

If it was standard spec, you'd not bother farting about with your phone, if it was £250, I bet at least a third of people would option it. It's not worth £650 to me I've used it twice, I don't generally drive anywhere I do not know, or if I do, I can get 99% of the way there by using signage, and am usually stuck for exact location within 1/4 of a mile of where I want to be.

The only option I'm half regretting not having is climate control. Not really worth £415 to me, but for the coldest days we've had so far, having a preheater for instant warm air (I'm assuming dual zone climate has a preheater, but it may not) would be handy. More so for the prevention of wonscreen misting and quick clearance than keeping me warm personally.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Adam_013 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:39 pm As much as built-in satnav is expensive I personally would prefer it simply due to the integration. Being able to listen to the radio and still have the directions flash up without having to be on the Android Auto screen.

Its a 'meh' thing. I would spec it specifically, but I'd rather use that than android auto.

I got the SEl that came with VW sat nav as part of the spec, I ordered Active information (digi dash) and the VW sat nav can be carried across to the drivers dash screen, you can not do that with WAZ or google maps for some reason. I have used all three, and to be honest I prefer the VW sat nav. I guess I paid for it somewhere in there even though it was included in the car space. With car net connected the traffic situation and warnings appear on the VW sat nav and I can have it on the display right in front of me while my partner can have her music on the other screen, We don't even have to talk! Be interesting to hear where that puts me on the MUG scale LOL.

I do use google maps at home to see what the traffic is like today, so I can time my drive to suit low traffic on the route. WAZ I used for a while but I just don't bother with it.

Car Net, I find it useful to find fuel at best price local to where you are, weather at the destination is useful sometimes, the weather map is kind of cool. I don't think I would pay £225 for it when it runs out though.

With regards long gears, IMO the DSG resolves all those issues. the 115 with DSG is the best currently available combo in the polo. A I keep saying (with fuel econ in mind) the 1.5 evo with DSG will be a great combo. It will be quick well balanced and more economic than the 2.0l.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm If it was standard spec, you'd not bother farting about with your phone,
Well, as I said earlier, my wife's Sportage has satnav as standard.
But, despite the car only being 14 months old, the mapping is already out of date.
TBH I've not checked if Kia offer free updates for a certain period, I'm certainly not paying to update it....ever.
So when going down to Glasgow at the weekend, I used the completely up-to-date google maps on apple play instead.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am With the Polo it's free updates for the first three years :!:
It’s actually now free lifetime navigation software updates.
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology ... navigation

You can still update 6C Polo from 2014...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm If it was standard spec, you'd not bother farting about with your phone,
Well, as I said earlier, my wife's Sportage has satnav as standard.
But, despite the car only being 14 months old, the mapping is already out of date.
TBH I've not checked if Kia offer free updates for a certain period, I'm certainly not paying to update it....ever.
So when going down to Glasgow at the weekend, I used the completely up-to-date google maps on apple play instead.
At 14 months old, I'd be astounded if you weren't able to access free updates for at least the length of warranty on the car. The fact that the maps are out of date is down to you not being bothered to seek out an update. Some might think you were a mug for wasting your mobile data on a journey with your phone rather than going with the integrated option.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm Some might think you were a mug for wasting your mobile data on a journey with your phone rather than going with the integrated option.
For a journey of 154 miles, I only actually needed the satnav for the last 2 miles.
Nothing worse than 150 miles of instructions when you know where you're going.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:58 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm Some might think you were a mug for wasting your mobile data on a journey with your phone rather than going with the integrated option.
For a journey of 154 miles, I only actually needed the satnav for the last 2 miles.
Nothing worse than 150 miles of instructions when you know where you're going.
I'm pretty much the same in getting nearly there by signage alone. I'd still keep my Satnav up to date though, In case something happened to my phone. I'd also only put the nav on towards the end of the journey.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Might be handy for anyone that doesn't know.

If you use Google Maps you can download specific areas of the UK over WiFi and save them to your phone. So when you actually need the map you don't need to use your data. You can then update that specific portion whenever you want. This definitely works on Andorid.

Incredibly handy if you don't have a contract with much data. Saved me a few times.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Luckily for you Andy, there aren't too many roads to pick from where you live :lol:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 pm I'm pretty much the same in getting nearly there by signage alone. I'd still keep my Satnav up to date though, In case something happened to my phone. I'd also only put the nav on towards the end of the journey.
Looks like it's £25 to get the Kia maps updated, I've emailed the dealer for confirmation.
If it's correct I won't be bothering, partly for cost and partly for inconvenience of having to visit them to do it.
Why the updates can't be done via the airwaves (like SKY) is beyond me.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

S_94 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 pm Might be handy for anyone that doesn't know.

If you use Google Maps you can download specific areas of the UK over WiFi and save them to your phone. So when you actually need the map you don't need to use your data. You can then update that specific portion whenever you want. This definitely works on Andorid.

Incredibly handy if you don't have a contract with much data. Saved me a few times.
Caching, I believe?
I've heard of people doing this for maps, but never figured out how to do it.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
S_94 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 pm Might be handy for anyone that doesn't know.

Caching, I believe?
I've heard of people doing this for maps, but never figured out how to do it.
Normally when you view a journey on maps for a longer distance it'll pop up saying ' would you like to download the map data'. Obviously this doesn't include traffic info, but can be handy on patchy routes too.

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:12 pm Luckily for you Andy, there aren't too many roads to pick from where you live :lol:
If you want to go South, one logical road to use.
Same as Lincolnshire.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm Normally when you view a journey on maps for a longer distance it'll pop up saying ' would you like to download the map data'. Obviously this doesn't include traffic info, but can be handy on patchy routes too.
Cheers.
But how does it then know your position without using data?