What would you change about your Polo?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: What would you change about your Polo?

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am My rear sensors sometimes beep after I’ve reversed out of my garage, and I’ve put the car into neutral / handbrake on while I get out of the car to close the garage door. There’s nothing behind the car or ‘within range’ to trigger the rear sensors though, it doesn’t happen every time and it doesn’t bother me.
My issue with these seemingly (unless anyone can tell me otherwise) warnings is that they distract me, they maybe mean I miss something on the radio I wanted to hear and it makes passengers question what's going on.
I'm truly thankful the car hasn't come up with these warnings or, worse, slammed the brakes on when my wife borrows it. :shock:
I know her, she would absolutely refuse to drive it ever again.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

The stereo in this generation is truly awful! The sound is appalling.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

JMiddo94 wrote:The stereo in this generation is truly awful! The sound is appalling.
They've saved money there then! [emoji19]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

JMiddo94 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm The stereo in this generation is truly awful! The sound is appalling.
At least that's easy changed.
Shove in some better quality speakers into the existing housings, bound to be better than the standard lowest-bidder paper rubbish.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

Hi Andy

I'm not very good when it comes to taking cars apart, what would I need to do to change the speakers over? I can't see how I'd remove the speakers.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The speakers are rivetted in on the Golf, expect the same on the Polo - will have to drill the rivets out.

As a stock sound system, I don't think the Polo's is bad. When you consider all the exterior noises that are present on a moving car, not sure why people are looking for audio excellence, only to have wind noise and tyre roar in the background.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 am The speakers are rivetted in on the Golf, expect the same on the Polo - will have to drill the rivets out.

As a stock sound system, I don't think the Polo's is bad. When you consider all the exterior noises that are present on a moving car, not sure why people are looking for audio excellence, only to have wind noise and tyre roar in the background.
Most of my driving is low speed and it's the only time I really get to listen to music.
So the stereo is one of the most important things to me.
TBH, it's so important it actually overrides the car itself.
I mean, the Polo wasn't even on my radar until I saw the beats edition one.
If I'd gone for the Micra it was going to be the Bose edition.
jackois
New
Drives: Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps manual

Post by jackois »

I'd illuminate the ignition key slot... I'm forever fumbling about for it in the dark!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

jackois wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:54 pm I'd illuminate the ignition key slot... I'm forever fumbling about for it in the dark!
Good shout.
This is my first non-keyless car in ages and finding the ignition barrel is a total pain.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

JMiddo94 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm The stereo in this generation is truly awful! The sound is appalling.
If you have the Composition Media with 6 speakers, the following settings made a major change in the demo vehicle I tested.

Fader -5 to rear

Bass -4
Mids -1
Treble -1

You're welcome!

Story time:
The 6 speaker setup consists of 2 tweeters A pillars, 2 bass speakers in the front doors, as well as to broadband in the rear doors. I guess they forgot to tune them before going into production.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Another instance of the rear parking sensors triggering last night just because someone was too close behind me.
Really pissed me right off when it did, as I was listening to a funny podcast and missed the punchline. :evil:
I've got used to switching off the 'front assist' quickly (right hand steering wheel controls, one flick to the right and two presses in the middle)
I'll have to figure out a way of disabling the rear sensors every journey too.
Unless they can be disabled permanently?
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:54 am Another instance of the rear parking sensors triggering last night just because someone was too close behind me.
Really pissed me right off when it did, as I was listening to a funny podcast and missed the punchline. :evil:
I've got used to switching off the 'front assist' quickly (right hand steering wheel controls, one flick to the right and two presses in the middle)
I'll have to figure out a way of disabling the rear sensors every journey too.
Unless they can be disabled permanently?
For what its worth, the front and rear sensors on my 2017 BlueGT does also go off on a random basis, and when in proximity to other vehicles with parking sensors. I think it's just a reminder to keep distance :)
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Literally never heard of parking sensors that are active all the time and can be triggered by another car being too close, or someone walking close to your car when you're in a queue.
Bizarre and so annoying. :cry:
jsybrian
New
Drives: None

Post by jsybrian »

If you have ever owned a Mercedes, the sensors go off when you are stopped in traffic and someone walks past the front or rear of your car.
Also go crazy if road sweeping machine passes you must be the frequency of the brush motor or something.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

My wife was in the car last night, in the space of 5 minutes it had 'pinged' at me because the car behind was too close and 'pinged' again because the temperature went down to 4C.
She was not impressed at all this pinging going on! :cry:
Her own car tells her when it's cold outside, but not in the loud manner the Polo does.
I'll have to check the settings to see if the alert volume can be turned down, preferably off and just leave the cold alert as visual only.