Nigel's GTI - The tale of the jumpy throttle continues...

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: Nigel's GTI - "Is it a 3 cylinder, fella? Sounds like it

Post by neilGTI »

When was the last time it was fully serviced ??

I clean my throttle body out every now and then, makes a big difference I think and its amazing how much crap sits in there
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - "Is it a 3 cylinder, fella? Sounds like it"

Post by nigelelliott394 »

Just a couple of months back. It was running great then.. Felt really responsive but has since slowed. Throttle body hasn't been cleaned in over a year I'd say. Worth checking out you think?
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Nigel's GTI -

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

nigelelliott394 wrote:Just a couple of months back. It was running great then.. Felt really responsive but has since slowed. Throttle body hasn't been cleaned in over a year I'd say. Worth checking out you think?
Yeah worth checking mate, cleaned mine on the GTI every few months because it gets dirty pretty quickly unfortunately, especially with the OEM airbox.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: Nigel's GTI - "Is it a 3 cylinder, fella? Sounds like it

Post by neilGTI »

Cant hurt to give it a good clean every now and then
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Nigel's GTI - 6000k Bulbs

Just received my 6000k D2S bulbs today thanks to James Long (can't remember his username on here)

Managed to get one of them fitted. The drivers side. Now I think they're a great match but after fitting them I couldn't help but wonder if the side I've replaced is pointing low. Should the beam pattern look this way? Note how much further it stretches on the left hand side

Other than this they're a great match for the LED sidelights.

Can't get the bolt that holds the battery in place shifted at all. Tried WD40 and everything. So now I'm left with mismatching headlights.

6N2 GTI 00

Re: Nigel's GTI - 6000k Bulbs

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice update Nigel :) looking good mate

I bet your thinking "Why did I wait so long to get 6000K's" :D
Awesome upgrade and when combined with LED sidelights they look stunning

Another tasty upgrade would be Osram 5000K H1 Nightbreakers mate for the full beam they make night driving a pleasure.
They are listed as for "off road use only" but I wouldnt worry about that, the bulbs are blue too even when your lights are off they look cool 8)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-H1-55W- ... 2ebbf1d2d8

As for the beam pattern the alignment does look slightly out so it might be worth getting them adjusted.
Mine were never crack on but it still managed to pass its MOT with slightly wonky beams

emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

Arrggghhhh so you were the one who beat me to the bulbs lol

They're an awesome upgrade, but on your pic they don't seem to give out much more light
6N2 GTI 00

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Its hard to tell from the pics but honestly the extra 1700 Kelvin makes a hell of a difference, they really are a lot brighter than the standard bulbs.

Did you buy them off the lad on here with the Blue 6N2 in the for sale section?
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Cheers guys! Yep, bought them off the fella with the blue 6n2.

I managed to get the other bulb in after dousing the bolt that was stopping me moving the battery in WD40 and continuing to work at it.

They're a great match for the sidelights. Wasn't aware how yellow my 4300k bulbs looked until I saw these ones in.

With regards to the beam pattern, it's a bit strange. It's really white and bright directly in front of the car but if I park in front of a wall and shine the light up there, there's a clear dead straight line at about eye level of light on both sides. It's just the distribution within that area that seems a bit strange.

Is it possible I've put the bulbs in wrong? I know there's only one way they can go in and all but have I missed something? Maybe dislodged it slightly wrestling to get the headlight cover back on. Are they easy aligned? Have always wondered with HID's if they're aligned the same way or if there's something special needs done with them. Alternatively, I have VAGCOM if there's anything can be done with that.

Sorry for all the questions... I'm not great with cars!

Still, it's not as though the car is undriveable and it's nice to have some positive news about my car.
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Got 6,00k in the Golf (and something close) in the Polo - I have the same thing as you - a big pool of light in front of the car, and less further away.

On the Polo - load VAGCOM, go into module 55, (lights) and follow this:

Headlamp Adjustment:

[Select]
[55 - H. Light Range]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Set channel to "000"
[Do It!]
Wait about 20 seconds
Manually adjust headlamps
[Done, Go Back]

from http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vwmkIV.html

Gonna go and do mine in a minute as they've been pointing at the floor for ages, and I finally got proper VAGCOM yesterday. :D
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Right, just done mine - I recommend it - much, much better now. Not far off my RX-8 lights, which were epic.

FWIW, it's the inner screw you're after.
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

Thanks Trigger :) really appreciate that! I'll hopefully get a chance to give it a go on Sunday. My VCDS lite isn't working right now (can't get it to find my cable). Is it one of the older, full versions of VAGCOM you need to use?

Also, is it the inner screw that raises the light up from the floor?
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

No worries - I think it's just any full version that can do it. I'm using version 409 I got off a friend at uni yesterday. I had VCDS lite before, but that couldn't make the right changes/adaptations.

If there weren't a channel between us I'd offer to do it for you!

Yeah, it is the inner screw, although changing them will be in vain as they'll such level back to the default without being set in VAGCOM. Maybe disconnect the leveler motors/fuse so they can't reset themselves, and then aim them higher? :?: (Wish I'd thought of that when I got the car in 2010!)
nigelelliott394
Gold Member

...well, one of my bulbs didn't look right tonight. Had a look and it was out of it's 'seat' in the projector. Fiddled at it to get it back in and "snap!!"

Whatever it is that holds the headlights at the desired height setting is now gone. Flapping about freely inside the casing.

I can't do anything right :(
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

I've had 6000K for a couple of years now... Haven't regreted it once :)

Looks great and gives a nice light on the road :)