Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by JohnPolo »

On his dad's insurance ? £1000 seems very low for what an insurance comp would deem high risk. Unless of course dad owns the insurance company. :D
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

K.I.T.T. wrote:
POLOGTI2011 wrote: Haha it's only £1000 fully comp! Alot of companys would not touch me ha! My car is in tomorow and if they start messing with it im leaving it there and want a brand new one as they have already put a new engine in it!
What company are you with if you don't mind me asking?

Ash
Admiral buddy
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

JohnPolo wrote:On his dad's insurance ? £1000 seems very low for what an insurance comp would deem high risk. Unless of course dad owns the insurance company. :D
Haha all by myself! One of my mates is 21 with the seat boc and his £500! Weird!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

I am confused.com :D Not that we want to deviate from the subject of this thread, the other day in the news they said a Ford Ka2 is typically the cheapest to insure for young drivers at about £1,800. Assume fully comp. :?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

SO the 2 people that have replied with oil issues are using VW oil as well as the recommended oil, Castrol Edge which one would assume is the VW branded stuff also.

Locally, our cars aren't put onto the long-life service schedule so we are able to run the "lesser" spec 502 oil as well as the 504. People are finding that running on the 502 grade oil from Castrol, their oil consumption drops considerably, almost to the level of stopping. The other interesting point is that those of us not running Castrol 504 spec at all (i'm running Liqui Moly) are also not getting these issues.

Along with the initial bed-in issues of using this seemingly incorrect oil, this potentially could be the route of the problem. One guy here with a Golf 1.4TSI had horrendous oil consumption issues until (on a fellow VW enthusiast's reccomendation) took his own oil for servicing. Over the next 10,000kms, his oil consumption not only dropped, but ceased to be a major issue.

Due to other factors convincing me of this (wrong software being loaded into my ECU for one!) I am now thinking that at vehicle assembly stage, I wonder if the correct oil is being put in the engines in the first place. I hear plenty of horror stories from friends in the ford engineering departments about vehicles coming out of spanish factories, I don't see why this couldn't be the same issue. The Mk6 golf for oz is now assembled at Wolfsburg due to major QC issues in the first deliveries of the Mk5 here, could this be the real issue......?
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

skipster wrote:I am confused.com :D Not that we want to deviate from the subject of this thread, the other day in the news they said a Ford Ka2 is typically the cheapest to insure for young drivers at about £1,800. Assume fully comp. :?
Lol o well! Took the gti into vw today and they were putting a brand new R golf in the showroom in the lush blue with black wheels, im in love! Dont think I would get insured on it thou lol :(
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

POLOGTI2011 wrote:
K.I.T.T. wrote:
POLOGTI2011 wrote: Haha it's only £1000 fully comp! Alot of companys would not touch me ha! My car is in tomorow and if they start messing with it im leaving it there and want a brand new one as they have already put a new engine in it!
What company are you with if you don't mind me asking?

Ash
Admiral buddy
I've got a quote with Elephant for a Polo GTI for £701.99 Fully Comp

19 Years old, Business Use, 18,000 miles, 0 NCB, 3 Named Drivers (Dad, Brother and Girlfriend - Mums not going on as it puts it up £60!)
Last edited by stuart.cameron on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Is that on the gti?
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

gavs wrote:SO the 2 people that have replied with oil issues are using VW oil as well as the recommended oil, Castrol Edge which one would assume is the VW branded stuff also.

Locally, our cars aren't put onto the long-life service schedule so we are able to run the "lesser" spec 502 oil as well as the 504. People are finding that running on the 502 grade oil from Castrol, their oil consumption drops considerably, almost to the level of stopping. The other interesting point is that those of us not running Castrol 504 spec at all (i'm running Liqui Moly) are also not getting these issues.
Hmmm, I was told that UK cars come from the factory with long life oil. I used both castrol edge and shell helix 502 spec when I topped up and these made no difference to the oil consumption of my GTI :?
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

POLOGTI2011 wrote:Is that on the gti?
Yeah forgot to mention the main part! Polo GTI
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

i used castrol edge two but looks to be ok now the ring/scraper upgrade is done
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

stuart.cameron wrote:
I've got a quote with Elephant for a Polo GTI for £701.99 Fully Comp

19 Years old, Business Use, 18,000 miles, 0 NCB, 3 Named Drivers (Dad, Brother and Girlfriend - Mums not going on as it puts it up £60!)
Maybe I should move to Scotland. I pay 800 on a 1.4 TDI 9n (23 years old, 3 years NCD)!

Ash
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Listen to this... My Gti went in tuesday for oil test's all today! I had no call from them today.. So I went down there and they have not even put my car in the garage yet! So I kicekd off etc, spoke to one of the salesman who totally agreed with me about the s**t service and gave me the number for the branch manager of norfolk who has all the power and told me to tell him about the car has had a new engine already on a 11 plate, the terrible customer serivces and that im not happy! Also the salesman went and gave the service department a good bollocking and now he is on my side backing my case! So now I have to write a letter to the manager who will do something about this problem, could end in a new gti or refund! He told me to find all info about the oil problem and to take the article out of the Evo mag and put in the letter!
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

POLOGTI2011 wrote:Listen to this... My Gti went in tuesday for oil test's all today! I had no call from them today.. So I went down there and they have not even put my car in the garage yet! So I kicekd off etc, spoke to one of the salesman who totally agreed with me about the **** service and gave me the number for the branch manager of norfolk who has all the power and told me to tell him about the car has had a new engine already on a 11 plate, the terrible customer serivces and that im not happy! Also the salesman went and gave the service department a good bollocking and now he is on my side backing my case! So now I have to write a letter to the manager who will do something about this problem, could end in a new gti or refund! He told me to find all info about the oil problem and to take the article out of the Evo mag and put in the letter!
hope all goes well for you mate
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

Edi30 ! Did you have to pay more towards the 35 edition? Or did vw cough up, as im not having mine back due to the faults and I can make a decison on what to have next...