Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
daydotz
Silver Member

Re: Using Oil!

Post by daydotz »

bennyboy wrote:Well sick of spending on oil so its now in the dealers getting new rings & scrapers + a few rattles sorted out in both b pillars and door gard + a loose drivers seat, so not a happy chappy.

what rattles have you found ive asked about mine but they dont seem intereseted :(
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

I've had a rattle (or more of a clunking noise) from the rear driver-side. Took it to the garage 7 times for this noise. Just got it back after them having it for a week. They replaced both rear shock absorbers. But the clunk was actually down to a spot weld on the rear quater panels, allowing the panels to flex and clunk. There was a tpi released in germany for this but it never made it through to the uk for some reason. Perhaps that could be of use to some people i hope :D
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

daydotz wrote:
bennyboy wrote:Well sick of spending on oil so its now in the dealers getting new rings & scrapers + a few rattles sorted out in both b pillars and door gard + a loose drivers seat, so not a happy chappy.

what rattles have you found ive asked about mine but they dont seem intereseted :(
both seat belt adjusters what move up and down vibrate on the outer plastic surround its like having a bee buzzing in both ears, and the drivers seat has about half a inch play rocking back and forward , and the drivers door guard rattles were the material section is in the middle not the plastic parts. hope this info helps as my dealers seemed very happy to help , and regarding the oil issue the dealers asked how my oil usage was as i questioned it about 2 months ago as in previous page in this section so i said yes its still drinking it as im now upto 6.5 liters on 8900 miles 10 months old car . and they offered to do it straight away just hope it sorts the problem out.
bennyboy
Bronze Member
Drives: old 6r GTI , now 6c GTI

Post by bennyboy »

oh just a small update from me spoke to the dealers today only to find out they havent started to fix the rattles yet as they are now in the process of fitting my brand new engine :shock: unawares to me and should be ready for pick up tomorrow possibly friday at the latest . holly cow :shock: asked if they could reset my millage , no joy as i have other warrenty parts on the car which will have 8000+ miles usage on them , worth a punt i thought. but i now do get a brand new warrenty on the engine again which i recon a may need .
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

bennyboy wrote:oh just a small update from me spoke to the dealers today only to find out they havent started to fix the rattles yet as they are now in the process of fitting my brand new engine :shock: unawares to me and should be ready for pick up tomorrow possibly friday at the latest . holly cow :shock: asked if they could reset my millage , no joy as i have other warrenty parts on the car which will have 8000+ miles usage on them , worth a punt i thought. but i now do get a brand new warrenty on the engine again which i recon a may need .

Thanks for the update Bennyboy, so your dealer fitted a new engine as opposed to new rings/scrapers? I guess yours may have been consuming even more oil so VW deemed that a new engine was the solution.

Not surprised about the mileage as the rest of the cars mechanicals have covered 8000 miles after all, so can understand that.

Good luck with the new engine and the other fixes you have requested.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

skipster wrote:Happy to report that over 900 miles since the rings/scrapers were replaced, oil level is still showing max. My dealer did provide me with 2 * 1 litre top ups to replace the ones I had used previously. Luckily not had to touch them.
That's good to hear skipster, if you really boot it hard though it will probably still torch a bit of oil, but that's all modern VW engines really....
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

There seems to be no consistency. Why do the ring upgrades work for some and not for others? Certainly not worked in my case. Answers on a postcard. :)
daydotz
Silver Member

Using Oil!

Post by daydotz »

We have to see I've done 220 miles since I got mine back I'm not brave enough to check mine yet
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

JohnPolo wrote:There seems to be no consistency. Why do the ring upgrades work for some and not for others? Certainly not worked in my case. Answers on a postcard. :)
Yes - its bizarre John, but I am not claiming mine is fixed just yet, it's just the omens look good but I won't be convinced until we reach about 2000 miles.

The level for sure is showing max, but I think we all know that it is not really linear, so it could drop sharply.

It is probably down to the bores (as Gavs has alluded to), but you would think in this day and age that each engine block would be machined absolutely identically. :?

So your on the 600 mile test again? You must be very fed up (as we all are) with this issue! :(
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

skipster wrote:
JohnPolo wrote:There seems to be no consistency. Why do the ring upgrades work for some and not for others? Certainly not worked in my case. Answers on a postcard. :)
Yes - its bizarre John, but I am not claiming mine is fixed just yet, it's just the omens look good but I won't be convinced until we reach about 2000 miles.

The level for sure is showing max, but I think we all know that it is not really linear, so it could drop sharply.

It is probably down to the bores (as Gavs has alluded to), but you would think in this day and age that each engine block would be machined absolutely identically. :?

So your on the 600 mile test again? You must be very fed up (as we all are) with this issue! :(
Yes concludes tomorrow when it goes back in for evaluation. VW UK customer service is watching too. It will be my third since June.
For those of you thinking why didn't I just return the car and ask for a refund?! Well, my dealer was bought out by a larger group, probably fed up with TSI problems. The new dealer didn't buy the liabilities. So while they say they are keen to pursue all avenues with the warranty they are not responsible for the sale of the car to me. Talk about bad timing. Warranty route first , lawyer next, if all else fails. :twisted:
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

bennyboy wrote:oh just a small update from me spoke to the dealers today only to find out they havent started to fix the rattles yet as they are now in the process of fitting my brand new engine :shock: unawares to me and should be ready for pick up tomorrow possibly friday at the latest . holly cow :shock: asked if they could reset my millage , no joy as i have other warrenty parts on the car which will have 8000+ miles usage on them , worth a punt i thought. but i now do get a brand new warrenty on the engine again which i recon a may need .
New engine :shock: just hope this is the fix that is needed and is a much better alternative to the replacement rings IMO. Feel for you guys who are still sufferin. Keep us posted on progress with the new lump and don't forget to run it in hard! :D
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

JohnPolo wrote:
skipster wrote:

Yes concludes tomorrow when it goes back in for evaluation. VW UK customer service is watching too. It will be my third since June.
For those of you thinking why didn't I just return the car and ask for a refund?! Well, my dealer was bought out by a larger group, probably fed up with TSI problems. The new dealer didn't buy the liabilities. So while they say they are keen to pursue all avenues with the warranty they are not responsible for the sale of the car to me. Talk about bad timing. Warranty route first , lawyer next, if all else fails. :twisted:
That stinks you have been the victim of circumstance and is totally unfair. Basically if VW group agree that they will replace the car both you and the dealer won't be out of pocket. I guess the sticking point here might be as they didn't take on the liability for the sale they might not be entitled to any refund. Have you contacted trading standards? Good luck :?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Just wondering if any of you guys have access to a VAGCOM scanner? I did a scan on mine and there is a line which tells you what "revision" of the engine you have.

My car was built in March 2011 and it says that it's "Revision: L2H15". So, if indeed you guys are getting new engines and for those who aren't experianceing oil consumption issues and have picked up your cars that have the white RCD310 / Climatronic displays (this is a sure way of telling yours is an MY12 spec), could you see what revision number your engine is? Could allude to some more info potentially.....
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

http://twitter.com/#!/the_roadtester

Interesting tweet on Nov 9th. Even their test car went in for piston ring work. It refers back to the polo driver website and posts. (The red car in the pic covered in protective film is mine, way back last year). Should have left it there!!
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

gavs wrote:Just wondering if any of you guys have access to a VAGCOM scanner? I did a scan on mine and there is a line which tells you what "revision" of the engine you have.

My car was built in March 2011 and it says that it's "Revision: L2H15". So, if indeed you guys are getting new engines and for those who aren't experianceing oil consumption issues and have picked up your cars that have the white RCD310 / Climatronic displays (this is a sure way of telling yours is an MY12 spec), could you see what revision number your engine is? Could allude to some more info potentially.....
Hi Gavs, I don't have a VAGCOM scanner, my car was from stock (bit of a rarity) and is registered Dec 2010. I am sure it was built around Oct/early Nov 2010.