What did you and your Polo do today?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Re: What did you and your Polo do today?

Post by peeceeuk »

My Mrs said that there was a red Polo Gti parked on the next road down from us.
She's no car boffin so I thought that she could have been mistaken.
Just nipped out and sure enough, an identical car to mine is parked just around the corner.
Polovivo
Getting There!
Drives: TSi AW / GTi AW

Post by Polovivo »

Fitted these transparent DSG paddle shift extenders from Leyo Motorsport.
They look great with the active info display.
Leyo Paddles.jpg
Leyo2.jpg
Polovivo
Getting There!
Drives: TSi AW / GTi AW

Post by Polovivo »

Thinking of a wheels swop on my GTi.

I have 19" MB Design MB1's that I am considering fitting with red centre cap badges.

Currently riding on OZ 19" Leggera HLT
GTi1.jpg
grvahluwalia
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by grvahluwalia »

Pulled out of my road this morning, and a BMW 420d drove right up my arse (clearly speeding at about 50mph on a 30mph road) - flashing his lights, sticking his middle fingers up, trying to overtake etc etc. luckily the end of the main road becomes a lovely country one on national speed. See you later Mr BMW 8) . I do love my Polo GTI+ aha - had me grinning like a little boy. But more importantly, BMW drivers are a bunch of ***** ha!

Nearly a month into ownership, still loving every mile in it.
IMG_20190919_180527.jpg
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Fitted Bosch Aerotwin windshield wipers today. The OEM ones were screeching and smearing already, just 4 months are delivery.
https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.co ... 3397007863 Beware, these are for LHD cars.
New ones are butter smooth and silent. Best 30 pounds (equiv.) spent!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

phillos wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm Fitted Bosch Aerotwin windshield wipers today. The OEM ones were screeching and smearing already, just 4 months are delivery.
https://www.bosch-automotive-catalog.co ... 3397007863 Beware, these are for LHD cars.
New ones are butter smooth and silent. Best 30 pounds (equiv.) spent!
Next time give this site a try, will save you £10.00 :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Aerotw ... 3030885585
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

My GTI is back at the dealership as arranged - they want a few days to get the chirpy rattle correctly diagnosed and sorted - it's somewhere around the front suspension and develops over the course of a journey.

A "Master Technician" is on the case, and for my troubles, I am in a 75ps 5 speed manual High Up! That thi ng is seriously asthmatic. Not sure how these are seemingly so economical when you spend half your journey with your foot to the floor. The car really struggles to pull away without a lot of gas to stop it feeling like it's about to stall. Given the weight differences between the Up! and the Polo, I expect the 75ps 5 speed feels like the 95ps manual Polo.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Booked mine in for next weekend to hopefully sort out the squeaky noise (brakes?) when reversing. Guy on the phone said they'd need to drive it first. Managed to record a video inside the car of the noise, it's clearly audible.

Going in for 8:30 on a Saturday morning. Hopefully it'll be ready the same day.

Anyone know if they'll provide a car for the day or does that only apply if they've got the car for a few days?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 pm Booked mine in for next weekend to hopefully sort out the squeaky noise (brakes?) when reversing. Guy on the phone said they'd need to drive it first. Managed to record a video inside the car of the noise, it's clearly audible.

Anyone know if they'll provide a car for the day or does that only apply if they've got the car for a few days?
Do you mean the "Moo" noise from the brakes when reversing? It's a 90 min application of a software update, had that done just over a week ago. Unlike some, I don't think I got replacement pads, just the update.

It's a well known issue. My car didn't do it on the day my car was in, because it was raining hard, but they did the software anyway. Your dealership should do the same.

You usually gave to wait a week or 2 if you want a courtesy car. Doubt they'll loan you a car on a Saturday for such a small job.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:12 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 pm Booked mine in for next weekend to hopefully sort out the squeaky noise (brakes?) when reversing. Guy on the phone said they'd need to drive it first. Managed to record a video inside the car of the noise, it's clearly audible.

Do you mean the "Moo" noise from the brakes when reversing? It's a 90 min application of a software update, had that done just over a week ago. Unlike some, I don't think I got replacement pads, just the update.

It's a well known issue. My car didn't do it on the day my car was in, because it was raining hard, but they did the software anyway. Your dealership should do the same.

You usually gave to wait a week or 2 if you want a courtesy car. Doubt they'll loan you a car on a Saturday for such a small job.
Mooing noise pretty much sums it up perfectly. To be honest it's been like it for a couple of months now but only now getting round to booking it in. Would love to know how a software update can fix the issue.

Yeah makes sense, hopefully it's no longer than a day and no other issues are picked up.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

grvahluwalia wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:16 am Pulled out of my road this morning, and a BMW 420d drove right up my arse (clearly speeding at about 50mph on a 30mph road) - flashing his lights, sticking his middle fingers up, trying to overtake etc etc. luckily the end of the main road becomes a lovely country one on national speed. See you later Mr BMW 8) . I do love my Polo GTI+ aha - had me grinning like a little boy. But more importantly, BMW drivers are a bunch of ***** ha!

Nearly a month into ownership, still loving every mile in it.

IMG_20190919_180527.jpg
A lot more will come your way,
I also had 420i coupe try his luck too, Renault Clio RS cup.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Got my GTI+ back today. So glad to give back that asthmatic Up! The linear fuel gauge is so big that you can actually see the needle move towards empty when you put your foot down. The car has averaged 38mpg for the 98 miles I had it. My GTI+ did 38mpg on the 9 mile trip home, and I wasn't being frugal. These small engined cars that need to be driven hard to get up to dual carriageway/motorway speeds seem pointless from an actual mpg point of view. How you drive the car seems far more important than engine displacement these days.

Anyway, the actual cause of the squeaky rattle was diagnosed as the front bump stops. Apparently, some suppliers' compounds for bump stops do lend themselves to squeaking/creaking in use. Near side was worse than drivers side but they replaced both bump stops, and as a precaution, both front top mount bearings too.

Seems to have worked, although the real acid test is when the wife and kids are in the car too.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:06 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Mooing noise pretty much sums it up perfectly. To be honest it's been like it for a couple of months now but only now getting round to booking it in. Would love to know how a software update can fix the issue.

Yeah makes sense, hopefully it's no longer than a day and no other issues are picked up.
Had a chat with the master tech to find out what they did to my car to fix the creaky rattle and he asked if the mooing had stopped. Told him it had mooed just once, on the first brake press of a reversing manoeuvre. He said the brakes hadn't been set to periodically wipe the discs dry. The wife's brakes moo too, so hers will have to go in at some point.

Asked if they could disassociate the stop-start from ACC to stop the car firing up in static traffic when the car in front shuffles up 2 feet. Ge said there's no official way, and also no unofficial way he's aware of (seems to know his VCDS stuff well).
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Hopefully no more issues with yours now mate. :)

Seems like a very odd issue. Was really loud when parking up tonight after work and it wasn't cold outside, I thought weather could be having an effect.

Will report back if they give me any more information when next weekend.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

Aaaand mine just started doing that. Booked it in immediatly. Luckily I have a service agreement on my lease, so its only a hasle timewise for me, but not a economical burden.

On another note I'm honestly surprised how s**t this car has been so far. My BlueGT i had for 3 years was in twice, once for its 10.000km service, and again at 30.000km. So far my GTI has done less that 3500km and been in 3 times..... Sad VW. Just sad.