New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nats148
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.8 GTI - Golf Anniversary

Re: New GTI

Post by nats148 »

Anyone ordered a 3 door flat white? Just seen one being driven to the PDI centre at Killingholme, NE Lincs.
rm55mcc
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4

Post by rm55mcc »

gregmkv wrote:Had my 6c GTI for around 3 months now and have noticed today that the hub is getting extremely rusty behind the center cap on one of the front wheels. It's just gone over the 5000 mile mark

Has anyone else experienced this?

[img]http://puu.sh/r28Fc/0f2aa52efa.jpg[/img]

What wheel cleaner you using??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I find that that is a common issue with at least any VAG cars, when I bought my Audi S4 at just over 2.25 years old, I was shocked at the condition, or level of established rusting on the centre bore! Getting wheels off the car after that has happened is not easy.

So, get in there now, all wheels off, clean up hubs with wire brush etc, apply a thin layer of copperease or any high temperature grease then fit wheels back on.

Warning, if you use too much grease, it will get spun out all over your nice clean wheels - and be black with the addition of brake pad dust!

Some alloy wheel suppliers to VAG design wheels that have a slot cut across the wheel/hub mating face, I find that wheels with that feature don't end up having rusty hubs as the water is spun out while you are driving.

Edit:- by the way, I'd never try to remove these wheel centres from the outside, might mark the centre or wheel! I just use something suitable to punch them out once wheel is off the car.
nats148
Bronze Member

Post by nats148 »

Noticed this yesterday. I'm sure it wasn't there when I washed it a week ago ;-(

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

nats148 wrote:Noticed this yesterday. I'm sure it wasn't there when I washed it a week ago ;-(

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Nats148, that's the dreaded whiteworm corrosion which sadly is quite common on diamond cut alloys like the Parabolicas and (optional) Serrons on the GTI Polo if the lacquered surface becomes damaged. It looks as if you have a stone chip on the edge of the spoke that has allowed water ingress, which has 'crept' under the lacquer, creating the cloudy / milky whiteworm corrosion.

If I was you, I would try getting the wheel replaced under warranty; I successfully got two diamond cut alloys replaced under warranty on my previous car (mk6 Golf GTD) that suffered whiteworm corrosion around the centre caps. The dealer took photos of the wheels, that they presumably sent to VW to authorise the warranty claim. If the wheel has any other damage (e.g. curbing damage), VW may reject a warranty claim, in which case getting a diamond cut wheel refurbished costs in the region of £75-£80 plus VAT.

VW and a number of other manufacturers persist in fitting diamond cut alloys to many of their models. They have great showroom appeal, but IMO they are quite 'fragile' and are not as durable as a powder coated finish, especially in the winter weather when the roads are gritted with rock salt. I have taken the diamond cut alloys off my GTI and replaced them with a set of anthracite powder coated VW Motorsport alloys.
nats148
Bronze Member

Post by nats148 »

Thanks SRGTD I did wonder about trying to go down the warranty route, as I really think a wheel/car that is less than 9 months old should fair better than that.
I'm not keen on getting them refurbed (I've kerbed the n/s/f which touch wood isn't holding up too bad) as I've not really seen any diamond cut refurbs that a) look decent or b) last that well
You think VW would learn after all the issues they had with the 25th Anniversary golf wheels lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote:I find that that is a common issue with at least any VAG cars, when I bought my Audi S4 at just over 2.25 years old, I was shocked at the condition, or level of established rusting on the centre bore! Getting wheels off the car after that has happened is not easy.

So, get in there now, all wheels off, clean up hubs with wire brush etc, apply a thin layer of copperease or any high temperature grease then fit wheels back on.

Warning, if you use too much grease, it will get spun out all over your nice clean wheels - and be black with the addition of brake pad dust!

Some alloy wheel suppliers to VAG design wheels that have a slot cut across the wheel/hub mating face, I find that wheels with that feature don't end up having rusty hubs as the water is spun out while you are driving.
The VW Motorsport alloys that I fitted to my car have the slots that you refer to RUM4MO. I did wonder what they were for, so thanks for explaining that.
RUM4MO wrote:Edit:- by the way, I'd never try to remove these wheel centres from the outside, might mark the centre or wheel! I just use something suitable to punch them out once wheel is off the car.
I had a couple of the centre caps on my previous car replaced because they suffered whiteworm corrosion. I think the dealer must have levered them off when they replaced them and damaged the lacquer around the centre of the wheels in the process, because shortly after, I had whiteworm corrosion on the wheels around the new centre caps! VW did replace the wheels under warranty (see previous reply to nats148 above). So yes, always remove the centre caps from the rear with the wheels off, and never lever them off.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Gave my GTI a good going over this week; decontamination, machine polish, glaze and wax. Nice and shiny again. Only minor swirls in the paintwork before I started, but it's now a swirl-free zone! :)

JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Great colour.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

JohnPolo wrote:Great colour.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Thanks John!
m0rrthal
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 VW Polo 6C GTI

Post by m0rrthal »

SRGTD wrote:Gave my GTI a good going over this week; decontamination, machine polish, glaze and wax. Nice and shiny again. Only minor swirls in the paintwork before I started, but it's now a swirl-free zone! :)
What wax did you use? It looks much darker than mine!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

m0rrthal wrote:
SRGTD wrote:Gave my GTI a good going over this week; decontamination, machine polish, glaze and wax. Nice and shiny again. Only minor swirls in the paintwork before I started, but it's now a swirl-free zone! :)
What wax did you use? It looks much darker than mine!
I used Collinite 845 Insulator Wax over Poorboys Blackhole Glaze. I think the lighting conditions can make a difference to how Blue Silk appears in photos.
gregmkv
New
Drives: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG

Post by gregmkv »

rm55mcc wrote:
gregmkv wrote:Had my 6c GTI for around 3 months now and have noticed today that the hub is getting extremely rusty behind the center cap on one of the front wheels. It's just gone over the 5000 mile mark

Has anyone else experienced this?

[img]http://puu.sh/r28Fc/0f2aa52efa.jpg[/img]

What wheel cleaner you using??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carbon Collective's react
nats148
Bronze Member

Post by nats148 »

I was umming and arring over Silk Blue but when I saw one in the flesh I thought it looked a little dull - but yours looks lovely SRGTD :D
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

nats148 wrote:I was umming and arring over Silk Blue but when I saw one in the flesh I thought it looked a little dull - but yours looks lovely SRGTD :D
Thanks nats148. Blue Silk does seem to be very light sensitive and in overcast conditions looks very different to the photo I posted above. You'll see my solution to whiteworm corrosion on VW's persistence of putting diamond cut alloys on their cars; swap them for a more durable set of wheels :D