Engine rebuild

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Eeeww
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Yep. About as low as I could stoop, but the way things are going I'm going to need it..

I've made another amendment to my conclusion about my engine today. Firstly, I despise it and wish I'd never even considered rebuilding it. Secondly, the fault cannot possibly lie in any of the areas that I've tinkered with, and thus it's just the engine being a bastard and doing it of it's own accord.

First, it seized up. Then, I removed some main bearings and it moved. Then it seized. Then I removed some con rod bearings and it moved, then it seized again. Then I refitted the con rod bearings, and it remained siezed. Then I removed the conrod bearings and refitted the main bearings, and it moved. Now I've refitted two of the conrod bearings and it moved half a turn, then it siezed in just the wrong position to be able to refit the other two.

All I've changed is a couple of main bearings (the ones I could get to without taking the crankshaft out), the conrod bearings and the piston rings. It's not a cracked ring, because the pistons move freely by themselves and the crankshaft seizes just as solid when all the pistons are disconnected and at the top of the bores. It's not bearing related, as it seems completely random whether it'll move or not depending on which bearings are fitted.

What the hell can be wrong with it?
I think if I can ever get the final two pistons reattached, I'm just going to tow it to the top of the street (which is up a hill), then try to pull start it using my mum's shogun and hope that it all starts moving and nothing snaps.. with luck it'll just get the oil flowing and free everything off. Otherwise, I'll be off to get that derby and do an engine transplant...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I give up. It's going to have to go to the local friendly mechanic to be fixed, but he's on holiday until next week :?

I've gone and broken a bolt off my starter motor as well, just to make matters worse.. that'll have to be replaced from the scrappy, don't have nearly enough money left to replace that as well :(