Album art to the foreground

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Re: Album art to the foreground

Post by silverhairs »

As I've said before, I don't have a smart phone, I do have and old Nokia 6633 that Noah used to find dry land, but it's OK for what I want. I only use it in emergency's only. I topped it up over 2 years ago with £20.00, just looked at how much I've got left = £11.37. Why would I need a smart phone? If I purchased a smart phone outright, why would I want to sign up to a contract of say £20.00 a month? to me that's a waste of money. At the moment and 95% of the time it's turned off sitting in a drawer, waiting to be taken out for a ride in my new car :lol:

Andy, how much is your contract for your smart phone?
More than likely it's the firms phone in the first place and their picking up the tab :roll:
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm As I've said before, I don't have a smart phone, I do have and old Nokia 6633 that Noah used to find dry land, but it's OK for what I want. I only use it in emergency's only. I topped it up over 2 years ago with £20.00, just looked at how much I've got left = £11.37. Why would I need a smart phone? If I purchased a smart phone outright, why would I want to sign up to a contract of say £20.00 a month? to me that's a waste of money. At the moment and 95% of the time it's turned off sitting in a drawer, waiting to be taken out for a ride in my new car :lol:

Andy, how much is your contract for your smart phone?
More than likely it's the firms phone in the first place and their picking up the tab :roll:
Really, IMO, the money you spent on a satnav would have been more beneficial spent on a smart phone.
Whatever you paid for the satnav would have paid the phone outright, then you can get very good SIM only deals with decent data packages for £10 a month.
For that £10 a month you're getting all sorts of benefits of having a smart phone, including apple/android connection to your car.
Wouldn't you like to be able to access all sorts of functions like phone/text/satnav using voice only commands in the car?
Does your current phone even connect to the car, or do you have to pull over?
It's weird that on one hand you appear to be a technophobe, but are willing to pay £XXX for satnav at the same time.
The phone will also depreciate less than the satnav.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Andy Beats wrote:
Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm Normally when you view a journey on maps for a longer distance it'll pop up saying ' would you like to download the map data'. Obviously this doesn't include traffic info, but can be handy on patchy routes too.
Cheers.
But how does it then know your position without using data?
Using GPS. Its separate... On Android you can chose between using GPS and data, or just using GPS for location. Unsure on iPhones but it can locate without the need for data... The same as cars work. The data only increases the accuracy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Adam_013 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Using GPS. Its separate... On Android you can chose between using GPS and data, or just using GPS for location. Unsure on iPhones but it can locate without the need for data... The same as cars work. The data only increases the accuracy

Aha, that's the first time I've seen it properly explained.
I'll try caching in future.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 pm
S_94 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 pm Might be handy for anyone that doesn't know.

If you use Google Maps you can download specific areas of the UK over WiFi and save them to your phone. So when you actually need the map you don't need to use your data. You can then update that specific portion whenever you want. This definitely works on Andorid.

Incredibly handy if you don't have a contract with much data. Saved me a few times.
Caching, I believe?
I've heard of people doing this for maps, but never figured out how to do it.
Have a look at this Andy.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... roid&hl=en
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

£10.00 a month for a contract, that's £120.00 a year for what, I only use the phone for emergencies only, why would I want to spend all that money? I've spent less than £10.00 in two years :roll: I don't like smart phones. Look around you, you walk down the high street and how many people are just walking along looking down at their phone, I was in a restaurant the other day and 80% of the people had their heads down on their phones, no conversation what so ever. When ever the daughters or the grand kid come round for a meal, their phones are put on the side until they get up from the table.
Can I say though, when the Nokia's in the car, it's switched off. The last time I used the Nokia was when I was going to get an Indian meal when the daughter and grand kids came round, we made a list out, I got to the restaurant and found I had left the list at home, now that was an emergency, saved driving home for it :lol:
The Mrs has a pad and goes on face book, to keep in touch with the family. Why do I want to use face book and all the other social media apps when every man and his bloody dog wanting to be my mate, I don't think so :x
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:26 pm £10.00 a month for a contract, that's £120.00 a year for what, I only use the phone for emergencies only, why would I want to spend all that money?
Well you've spent £xxx on a satnav that will literally be worth nothing in a few years, plus updates will cost you at some point.
The phone will always be worth something and no cost to update the apps.
And I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy the added benefits of a smart phone, even if you think you won't now.
They're only social media machines if you want them to be, they're internet access/diaries/cameras and all sorts otherwise.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Built-in SatNav makes a lot of sense for those who don't use a smartphone. But if it's anything like the system in my parents' Skoda Rapid (admittedly a MIB II system not the MIB III in the Polo) then it's clunky and the routing is, erm, lacking in comparison to Google Maps or Waze, and destination input is years behind. The main advantage the built-in system has over Android Auto IMO is that the directions come up in the MaxiDot screen. Android Auto also manages all my music (through Spotify), calls and texts, and podcasts (Pocket Cast).

I certainly wouldn't option satnav in any car now. But my Ibiza will have it (all but the base model do), and I doubt it'll get much use.