Any mk1'ers around?

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

how much am i bid for a Blaupunkt "Boston" CC20? :lol:
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Ive got an even better one, came with my ranger:

hows that for rustic? Medium and long wave ONLY! :shock: Its a blaupunkt one as well.

not exactly what I would call rustic that one you mentioned tahrey. It has more radio presets (30) than my £130 kenwood mp3 player! (24)(if its the one I think it is)
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

erm. indeed. it's been nobbing ages since i used it.

pretty solid unit, i'd still be using it if only 1. it had auto reverse, 2. it had just a LEETLE MORE POWER!!! i think how it used 3 ohm speakers (ie, loud..) and still couldnt drown the motorway out is indicative of a problem there.

er... that is to say... yes............ that was in a mk3 though, it should have no problems in a mk1 derby :D :D

i seem to remember it having 5 preset buttons, so maybe 10 on FM, 5 each on MW / LW? was also super-good at picking up the engine noise on AM, when the aerial was down... should try that again i think.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Yeah thats the one. it has 4 lots of FM (20) and one lot of MW and another lot on LW. Not much use the presets on long wave though, it onlt pics up 2 stations! :P Ive put one in my mk2, it was in my current gt originally. Oh and the tape player doesnt work on mine. But its not a problem as I dont have any tapes anyway.
Tahrey1043 wrote:erm. indeed. it's been nobbing ages since i used it.

pretty solid unit, i'd still be using it if only 1. it had auto reverse, 2. it had just a LEETLE MORE POWER!!! i think how it used 3 ohm speakers (ie, loud..) and still couldnt drown the motorway out is indicative of a problem there.

er... that is to say... yes............ that was in a mk3 though, it should have no problems in a mk1 derby :D :D

i seem to remember it having 5 preset buttons, so maybe 10 on FM, 5 each on MW / LW? was also super-good at picking up the engine noise on AM, when the aerial was down... should try that again i think.
86C
Getting There!

Post by 86C »

SteB wrote:so, of all these mk1s coming out of the wood work, how many are modified ? and by that i mean more than just alloys and suspension ??

are they too good/rare to modify ?!?!
Mine is heavily modified. It wasn't complete when I got it so I fitted late mechanicals, interior etc. Currently, it's kicking out 90.8bhp from it's ex Mk.2 Golf 1.3 engine, but that's soon about to change :wink:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

90.8 bhp from a golf 1.3?? Impressive :shock: What have you done to it?
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

from memory its a 2G bottom end with cylinder head from a HZ (i think) NZ injection system with poloace chip, GT cam, g40 exhaust system (including manifold)

That about right? :wink:
heartagram
Bronze Member

Post by heartagram »

P.I.M.P
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah. So not much of the '1.3 Golf' bit left then :D
SteB
Silver Member

Post by SteB »

what other options are there for engine conversions into a mk1 then ?

ive been thinking about a G40 for ages now, but thats been done!
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

100kW electric motor?
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Polo 16v/GTI engine. I just happen to have found a complete GTI in a breakers as well :twisted:
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

I believe you should be able to fit a 1.3, 1.3 GT, 1.3 G40 or a mk4 1.4 engine in there, assuming that the engine bay on a mk1 is about the same size as a mk2/3, which I believe it is :)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Just a point, if you do an engine conversion and put a 5 speed gearbox in at the same time, remember that you'll have to chop a hole out of the arch to accomodate the extra gearbox length... I panicked when I realised that I might have to do that to mine, but luckily mine's a 1986 model with a cutout for the 5 speed box :) The rollbar will also need to be changed for one which clears the end of the gearbox.. don't know if a mk2 rollbar would fit, if not I'm not sure what your options are.
nuttinnew
Silver Member

Post by nuttinnew »

Later arb does fit. Strange, had no probs with box clearance :?