Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 390 BHP Build

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 320 BHP. Dyno vid on PG35

Post by benmkiv »

Tried that might be cuz I'm on
iPhone I'll
Take a look when I get home.
adzpz
Getting There!

Re: Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 320 BHP. Dyno vid on PG35

Post by adzpz »

Epic Build - think I may have given up at a few points in this build!!

How does the Polo handle 320BHP? Much torque steer?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Well here is a new page so I must post some new pics..

But before I do that I can let you all know that I made it to MIVW and back but not without a small issue. On the Thursday before I left I had my car booked into AMD to have my aircon re gassed, tracking done and have my exhaust sealed as I had it all apart and didn't have time to get the sealant. Any way long story cut short as I pulled out of the car park to get on the train at Folkestone and I heard an exhast sound which made me think the turbo bolts may have come lose. I then realised the blowing was coming from under the car so thought it must be at the join from the downpipe. With me about to get on the train I was going to check it when over the other side when it decided to completely disconnect from the system making my car sound like a dragster. Not impressed. Anyway as soon as got off the train in Calais I pulled into a truck stop and proceeded to jack the car up and sort out their mistake. 10 minutes later I was back on the road on the way to a great weekend away.

Below are few pics I took of the car.

9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

adzpz wrote:Epic Build - think I may have given up at a few points in this build!!

How does the Polo handle 320BHP? Much torque steer?
I was very close to giving up at many points but after this weekend it was well worth it. :mrgreen:

Haven't really gone from standstill yet but 3rd gear and all others you better hold on to the steering wheel or you'll end up in a ditch or central resavation. :shock:
morells
Bronze Member

Re: Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 320 BHP. Won 2nd place @ MIVW

Post by morells »

Hi mate the car and this thread are like a bible to everyone on here and also I' sooooooo want it haha one question how hard was it and how did you relocate the battery to the boot? :D
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

morells wrote:Hi mate the car and this thread are like a bible to everyone on here and also I' sooooooo want it haha one question how hard was it and how did you relocate the battery to the boot? :D
Ha if you want it like everything in this world it can be bought for the right price :wink:

Was easy in my eyes. Just drilled a hole big enough to run the cable through the bulkhead and got myself a optima battery. I used a BMW relocation kit off eBay. But you can make your own just make sure the cable is long enough and the correct wire.
Mr Blobby
Silver Member

Post by Mr Blobby »

Lovely result! Finally got the turbo and everything working together :) you must be so happy and relieved!
Have you got a price in mind at how much you'd let it go for? I cant buy it as the insurance would rape me as im only 20... But maybe after im 21 it'll settle and allow mods haha

Also, how much do you think it cost you to take it to stage three, like the new diff, turbo, internals and the rest if you dont mind me asking... Because I was talking to my local tuning company and they thought it'd cost about 7k to do it all... I thought that was far too much. Not sure if they included labour though.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Mr Blobby wrote:Lovely result! Finally got the turbo and everything working together :) you must be so happy and relieved!
Have you got a price in mind at how much you'd let it go for? I cant buy it as the insurance would rape me as im only 20... But maybe after im 21 it'll settle and allow mods haha

Also, how much do you think it cost you to take it to stage three, like the new diff, turbo, internals and the rest if you dont mind me asking... Because I was talking to my local tuning company and they thought it'd cost about 7k to do it all... I thought that was far too much. Not sure if they included labour though.
Cheers man. Yeah looks like things are working very well together now.
Would let it go for around 12k has cost me a crap load more to get it looking like this.

7k sounds about right. It isn't cheap doing things. Your looking about 3500 for full engine rebuild with forged items. Then around 2k for turbo and manifold depending on what you go for. 1.2k for diff fitted downpipe and all the other odds and sods you'll need plus labour to take yours out and fit the new stuff along with mapping. It's not a cheap game.
Mr Blobby
Silver Member

Post by Mr Blobby »

No problem, I love this thread and im amazed at how you know so much lol.
I do think its unfair at the selling price of modded cars... all the money and effort gone into them and its hard to get a good price :( But I think thats reasonable considering all the upgrades! There was a polo on ebay a few weeks ago and it was a similar one to yours and it was advertised for about 10k and last time I looked at it it had priced dropped to 7k :(

I could do the work myself but without the labour costs its still bloody expensive :( I think I am going to buy a new turbo and manifold my tuner suggested which takes the power up to 260bhp and im going to concentrate on the exterior and interior of the car and if I get bored I may have to take it to stage 3... I do intend on keeping this car for 5 more years max though :)
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

the car looked well at the show and what weather we had two
nimmo
New

Post by nimmo »

Hi, congratulations on your build, have been following it like many others. I am running a stage 2 Polo GTI with all the trimmings myself. Just done my first track day at Silverstone, great fun and she performed well, see APS tuning on their face book site. I was interested in your cone filter in a box, I am running Pipercross panel with PD 160 and trumpet. How did you find this conversion performed over your previous set up, and would you recommend it?
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

Sounds like ur following my brother lol he had same issue with amd. We are now banned from the place lol
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

tt509 wrote:the car looked well at the show and what weather we had two
Thanks man. That was after a 5 hour cleaning session and I still wasn't happy but would need to paint the car to be happy with it to get rid of the stonechips.

The weather was great. Couldn't ask for a better show. It's getting bigger each year.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

g__humm wrote:Sounds like ur following my brother lol he had same issue with amd. We are now banned from the place lol
Lol
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

nimmo wrote:Hi, congratulations on your build, have been following it like many others. I am running a stage 2 Polo GTI with all the trimmings myself. Just done my first track day at Silverstone, great fun and she performed well, see APS tuning on their face book site. I was interested in your cone filter in a box, I am running Pipercross panel with PD 160 and trumpet. How did you find this conversion performed over your previous set up, and would you recommend it?
The cone in a box is a much better set up,than the panel filter. It has a greater surface area therefore more air. Somewhere on watercooled forum there was a guy who tested many options and this came upas the best performing.