Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: Polo Blue GT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

jimbo_tdi wrote:
Mart!n-GTI-DK wrote:
POLOS wrote:Best colour? Blue or silver with anthracite wheels???
Blue... Silver is just a color you choose if you have no imagination... It is soooo dull... :roll:
Get your coat and leave please. :wink:
I have a silver Polo myself at the moment... :lol:
daydotz
Silver Member

Polo Blue GT

Post by daydotz »

I've had two silver cars in a row :lol:
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

daydotz wrote:I've had two silver cars in a row :lol:
I'm on number two aswell... haha.

So I must say that I'm a little bored with silver cars... Especially here in Denmark where everybody is so bloddy conservative... No imagination what so ever. So it sometimes looks like over half the cars on the roads are silver... :(

So my next one will be white. (Not much more exicting... But still better than silver in my book. :)
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

i love the blue as it reminds me of the rising blue i had on my scirocco

i'd take silver over white as white is just such a pain to keep clean
Wolfi
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI

Post by Wolfi »

You could say that white is hard to keep clean (to be fair that is true)
But, you can't see scratches and you dont have to fully dry the car after washing it as it does not show up water and smear marks like black does.
Plus, if you ever need to touch a chip up, all white is a really good paint match (for some strange reason).....
Silver is still the easiest to keep clean though.
jackofspeed
New

Post by jackofspeed »

Go for the blue with the anthracite wheels. My five door blue gt looks mint, even if I say so myself...
Loving the car by the way, can't really see what the gti is going to offer in comparison. The gt is plenty quick, but I guess the gti is a bit stronger at really high speeds.
The gt still picks up beautifully from ninety however (where legal limits allow...).
My only real disappointment is the fuel consumption.
I've averaged just over 35mpg in 2500 miles.
The problem is that on a level motorway, in 2 cylinder mode, the car can only just maintain seventy. If you prefer to go a little bit faster, you'll not see it switch down to 2 cylinders all that often.
In traffic on the motorway it will easily do 45mpg, but on a clear road, unless you're driving miss daisy, 35 is the best you'll get.
AAddict
Getting There!

Post by AAddict »

jackofspeed wrote:Go for the blue with the anthracite wheels. My five door blue gt looks mint, even if I say so myself...
Loving the car by the way, can't really see what the gti is going to offer in comparison. The gt is plenty quick, but I guess the gti is a bit stronger at really high speeds.
The gt still picks up beautifully from ninety however (where legal limits allow...).
The problem is that on a level motorway, in 2 cylinder mode, the car can only just maintain seventy. If you prefer to go a little bit faster, you'll not see it switch down to 2 cylinders all that often.
In traffic on the motorway it will easily do 45mpg, but on a clear road, unless you're driving miss daisy, 35 is the best you'll get.
So on a flat road, if you rag it up to say 80mph, and then back off to keep it steadily at that speed it will never drop to 2CYL unless you're going 70mph or less?
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

AAddict wrote:
jackofspeed wrote:Go for the blue with the anthracite wheels. My five door blue gt looks mint, even if I say so myself...
So on a flat road, if you rag it up to say 80mph, and then back off to keep it steadily at that speed it will never drop to 2CYL unless you're going 70mph or less?
The ACT (2 cylinder mode) only works up to 80 mph and between 1500 and 4000 rpm.

I was out in one with DSG yesterday. It's a little disapointing that the software for the gearbox dosen't work together with the ACT software.
The gearbox will rather shift to a higher gear and lower revs even though it would get better milage if it was in 1 or 2 gears lower and running on two cylinders.
So I ended up putting the DSG in manual mode for it to run "properly".
wigit
Bronze Member

Post by wigit »

jackofspeed wrote:My only real disappointment is the fuel consumption.
i'm sure this will improve when you have got a few more miles under its belt, when i got my 500TA i struggled to get more than 35mpg out of it and in reality 500 does 45mpg at best and if pressing on can see sub 30 so I am pretty encouraged by those figures so far.

just prepping my 500 for sale at the moment and been using the Ed 35 and blimey does that like a drink :shock:
jackofspeed
New

Post by jackofspeed »

AAddict is about right, but it is possible to trigger the ACT beyond 80mph I find, I've certainly seen it at 85, maybe a touch higher. The problem is simply that the torque required to maintain a steady speed at some point exceeds the limit at which it switches back to 4-cylinder mode. You can "coast-and-burn", i.e accelerate to 85 or so, then come off the gas somewhat and allow the speed to drop down to seventy, then repeat, but I find this a very tedious way to drive.

What Mart!n suggests tends to work better, I tend to keep the DSG in manual most of the time anyway, and you find that in traffic on the motorway that's moving between 50 and 70mph, you're better off in 6th rather than 7th. This means ACT activates more readily. However, you've got to keep an eye on instant consumption, because you may actually use less fuel in 7th with 4-cylinders than in 6th with 2! There are crossover points that will inevitably take a while to learn.

I'm finding that on my regular commute (30 miles of the M1, 10 miles of the A42, 2 miles of ordinary roads) my average consumption is increasing day by day. I'm now finding it easy enough to get 45+mpg if the traffic is typical rush hour type stuff, running between 50 and 70. However, when the road clears and you get the opportunity to "make some time" it's extremely easy to knock the consumption right down to 30mpg.

I was running an Audi A3 prior to this with the 140bhp diesel engine, and that was considerably more economical if you like to cruise on a motorway at 85-95mph, it was only if you consistently went above that that it would dip down to 35mpg or so. I once did a memorable 100mile trip where I got a 50mpg average consumption, and a 70mph average speed. You'll never see that in a BlueGT.

Don't get me wrong, the BlueGT is still a cracking car, and I prefer it to the Audi a vast amount, I just want to make sure that anyone reading this thread doesn't expect to get comparable economy to an equivalent 140bhp diesel, even if that's what the published figures imply. It's also worth remembering that if you're in town a lot more than me, you may well do better than the equivalent diesel, as it will happily potter around at 20-30mph in 2-cylinder mode most of the time. Added to this, stop-start is a much more worthwhile technology in petrol cars - as I understand it, the fuel required to restart a petrol engine is less than that required to restart a diesel. Lastly, you have to factor in the difference in price between petrol and diesel.

The other thing I disagree with the review about is the sound of the engine when it's in 2-cylinder mode. You can definitely hear the difference, especially at lower speeds, it sounds great, quite thrummy, a bit like an old 2-cylinder motorbike, or even those 650cc single cylinder KTM dirt bikes (I might be slightly optimistic here)! ;-)
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

I've just filled up after using my first tank of fuel. I got 48mpg for the tank. I will admit to taking it easy' but driven over 500miles now.

Will be doing a few miles tomorrow and am planning a "normal" drive over to parents. So I'll see if that matches or betters mpg so far.

Am really enjoying the new polo compared to old GTI.

Andy
AAddict
Getting There!

Post by AAddict »

AndyGTi wrote:I've just filled up after using my first tank of fuel. I got 48mpg for the tank. I will admit to taking it easy' but driven over 500miles now.

Will be doing a few miles tomorrow and am planning a "normal" drive over to parents. So I'll see if that matches or betters mpg so far.

Am really enjoying the new polo compared to old GTI.

Andy
Did you have a current gen GTi? How would you compare the performance of the BlueGT 0-60 and in gear acceleration?
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi AAAdict

No I had a 9N3 GTI. I haven't really pushed the BlueGT, but it does feel quicker, but I know the stats also prove that.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Hi Aaddict.

Can you help me with what brand/model tires are on the BlueGT stock?
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Hi Martin

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx on my car, but I'm sure I saw a BlueGT with Bridgestone tyres. So I suspect the difference on supplier may be down to 3Dr or 5dr.