TheFrog's Blue GT 6C

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheFrog
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Re: TheFrog's Blue GT 6C

Post by TheFrog »

Mmm, look what the Fedex man just brought me 8)

I will be installing it over the weekend and will report back. It is physically larger than I was expecting, but seems very good quality and the install appears quite straightforward.

TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

I fitted it at lunch time. Ten minutes installation time is a bit optimistic; it took me nearly an hour, but I could probably do it in under 15 minutes now I know what I'm doing.

The instructions are a bit weird in places, as if they've been (badly) translated from German. Also - but maybe this is obvious to non-thickies - they omitted to say at the end that you need to switch the engine on to activate and program the box once it's installed. I called DTUK just to check everything was as it should be (i.e. flashing yellow LED) and they were very helpful.

It is pouring with rain here at the moment, but I couldn't resist taking the car out for a short test drive with the box set bang in the middle (Program 2 with no pluses or minuses). First impressions are positive: I immediately (and accidentally...) felt wheelspin in second which I had never had before. The power really comes in past about 3000rpm, but I didn't feel that much difference before that, and seems to come in more abruptly, a bit like on old TDI engines, so you do lose a bit of the BGT's wonderful smoothness, but maybe I can dial this out by tweaking the settings.

I will update my impressions after a few days of trial and error.
Last edited by TheFrog on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egt
New
Drives: Polo BGT

Post by Egt »

hi,waited expectantly your conclusions about DTUK on BGT...
Regards!
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

Tidied the cables up this morning and fixed the box more securely to the conveniently located tab welded to the bulkhead. Haven't altered the settings yet, but I will be trying a P2 -1 next time I start the engine.

rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Post by rsmagee »

Brilliant mounting idea. Just copyed it myself :) Did have it wedge between the headlight and battery, probably better here, espicaly if you have HIDs , they can interfer with the proccesor apprently.
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

rsmagee wrote:Brilliant mounting idea. Just copyed it myself :) Did have it wedge between the headlight and battery, probably better here, espicaly if you have HIDs , they can interfer with the proccesor apprently.
Have you decided not to sell it, then?
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

TheFrog wrote:
rsmagee wrote:Brilliant mounting idea. Just copyed it myself :) Did have it wedge between the headlight and battery, probably better here, espicaly if you have HIDs , they can interfer with the proccesor apprently.
Have you decided not to sell it, then?
Yeah keeping it, car felt a bit sluggish without it, and getting the car back sooner than expected. Have to say its the combination of the box and the pedal box that really work for me.
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

rsmagee wrote:Yeah keeping it, car felt a bit sluggish without it, and getting the car back sooner than expected. Have to say its the combination of the box and the pedal box that really work for me.
Yes, I am intrigued by this pedal box, but I've splashed enough cash for the moment ;)

You have your FSR on a fairly mild setting, right? Is there any reason for this? Have you tried them all? I have only tried the default P2 and haven't fiddled with the +/- yet. It's a bit abrupt for me, like old turbo engines used to be and in 2nd there's a very slight hesitation at normal/modest acceleration.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

Iv got mine on 2+1 but think im going back to 1+1 as that seems to feel alot better on mine.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Very successful placement to DTUK tuning box.
Clean and clear electrical installation.Image
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

TheFrog wrote:
rsmagee wrote:Yeah keeping it, car felt a bit sluggish without it, and getting the car back sooner than expected. Have to say its the combination of the box and the pedal box that really work for me.
Yes, I am intrigued by this pedal box, but I've splashed enough cash for the moment ;)

You have your FSR on a fairly mild setting, right? Is there any reason for this? Have you tried them all? I have only tried the default P2 and haven't fiddled with the +/- yet. It's a bit abrupt for me, like old turbo engines used to be and in 2nd there's a very slight hesitation at normal/modest acceleration.
Well its not as clear cut as program two is faster than program one. The program dictates the power curve used by the box. The correction factor i.e. +1, +2 ect adds 0.1v to boost amount. I find program one to have bettwer drivablilty, while the +2 gives me all the power I want. +1 felt a bit tame and +3 gives overboost errors (turbo will go into limp mode). My advice would be try each program and find the one you like.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

I did have on 2+2 but sure i read somewhere dtuk only advise using +1 settings. Which seems silly as why bother with +2/3? May try 2+2 again
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

Mayhem wrote:I did have on 2+2 but sure i read somewhere dtuk only advise using +1 settings. Which seems silly as why bother with +2/3? May try 2+2 again
Been up to DTUK in person and this was not the case. Use all the settings and find the ones you like.
TheFrog
Silver Member

Post by TheFrog »

The guy I spoke to on the phone at DTUK said that he has his on P3+3 all the time :shock:, though he didn't say what car it was. I'll have a teeny play with the settings, but I don't want to mess the engine about too much; this turbo boost error/limp home mode sounds a bit worrying. I want to stay well clear of that.

Currently trying P2 -1.
rsmagee
Silver Member

Post by rsmagee »

The limp only lasts till you turn the engine on and off. Give program 1 +2 a go. It's great! Remember you can switch anytime so no reason not to try them all!