Upgrade H7 Headlights to BiXenons in Polo GT TSi

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Upgrade H7 Headlights to BiXenons in Polo GT TSi

Post by ciclo »

Sent email :)

As for the camera, thanks for the video.
I already saw it here

I would like to be able to send you the autocad file to make the adapters, but I no longer have it, I'm sorry.
antardaksh04
New
Drives: TSI

Post by antardaksh04 »

Hi graaja,

Could you please share details/pictures of following pars

1. BiXenon headlights, Ballast and D3S HID bulbs - Arrived
2. T10 to T14 adapter wiring harness - Arrived

Regards.
graaja
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GT TSi

Post by graaja »

antardaksh04 wrote:Hi graaja,

Could you please share details/pictures of following pars

1. BiXenon headlights, Ballast and D3S HID bulbs - Arrived
2. T10 to T14 adapter wiring harness - Arrived

Regards.
Hi antardaksh04,

Here are a couple of pictures of the BiXenon headlights, ballasts, HID and 10 pin to 14 pin wiring adapter.

I got the headlights, ballasts, HIDs etc., separately. But it is much more cost effective to get the full set from below links.

Headlights - http://www.carsystems.pl/polo-6r-oem-bi ... d1549.html

Adapter harness - http://www.carsystems.pl/adapter-bi-xen ... d1268.html
antardaksh04
New
Drives: TSI

Post by antardaksh04 »

graaja wrote:
I got the headlights, ballasts, HIDs etc., separately. But it is much more cost effective to get the full set from below links.

Headlights - http://www.carsystems.pl/polo-6r-oem-bi ... d1549.html

Adapter harness - http://www.carsystems.pl/adapter-bi-xen ... d1268.html
Hi graaja,

Thanks, I am also looking for full led headlight but waiting for availability and lower price.

6C2941773
6C2941774

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/ca ... d/0/lang/e

Regards.
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

antardaksh04 wrote: Thanks, I am also looking for full led headlight but waiting for availability and lower price.

6C2941773
6C2941774
The LED headlights are available in the below link, but are quite expensive.

http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/vw-aud ... headlight/
http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/vw-aud ... headlight/

But these may not come with the LED bulbs, controllers etc. I got the Xenons from this website and it was just the headlight housing. I had to buy the ballasts, HIDs, H7's and turning lights separately.

I also had to choose between LED and Xenons. I chose the Xenons for several reasons.

1. The LED lights are almost twice as expensive as the Xenons
2. Xenons have a powerful cornering light function (the cornering light function using the fog lamps is almost useless)
3. I felt the LED lights look very plain, almost like regular reflector design with an LED bulb. But this is very much subject to personal taste I guess.

Good luck with your LED headlight upgrade!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

:D

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 7E0-937-BCM-V1.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 937 090 B HW: 7E0 937 090
Component: BCM PQ25 Max4 H81 0744
Revision: B9081001 Serial number: 0982 320160075
Coding: 3AB02BBF08A10000013806917CEB96905AC0672F600D3041200000030000
Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
VCID: 2A0E0874ACF81CD753D-807E

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 AH Labels: 1K0-955-559-AG.CLB
Component: RLS 220113 05 54 0403
Coding: 06302D

Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 6R0 959 802 CC HW: 6R0 959 802 CC Labels: 6R0-959-802.CLB
Component: ------------- 007 5551
Serial number: 13102670150701091309
Coding: 050000

Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 6R0 959 801 BT HW: 6R0 959 801 BT Labels: 6R0-959-801.CLB
Component: ------------- 007 5551
Serial number: 13102671150624005257
Coding: 050000

Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: 6C0 959 442 HW: 6C0 959 442
Component: E221__MFL-TAT H04 0019
Serial number: 1801505262800552AB2B
Coding: 240000

Subsystem 5 - Part No SW: 6R0 959 811 L HW: 6R0 959 811 L
Component: ------------- 006 5550
Serial number: 13102580150619184036
Coding: 020000

Subsystem 6 - Part No SW: 6R0 959 812 L HW: 6R0 959 812 L
Component: ------------- 006 5550
Serial number: 13202581150702154040
Coding: 020000

No fault code found.

----------------------------------

Works like a charm. :wink:

I am sure that graaja will provide more information about it soon.
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

BiXenon Upgrade Successfully Completed

I would like to thank:
  • Master ciclo for the superb wiring loom, instructions with the minutest of the details (without which I would have got lost) and patiently guiding me through the installation. This would not have been a success without his help.
  • Firegrafik for helping me with sourcing the BCM. When I was stuck in search of the BCM for many weeks without success, he procured and sent me the BCM max from Russia.
  • My friend Pandiyan who worked with me for 3 days. He did more than half of the wiring which involved some very tough Yoga moves. Without his help, this would not have been possible at all.
  • iichel for his thread on AFS installation. I got lot of information from this post on the adapter cables, the reason why BCM max upgrade is a must etc.

At a high level, following are the tasks that had to be done:
  • Run an auto scan and save the scan report
  • Remove and isolate battery negative terminal (VERY IMPORTANT)
  • Install the headlights
  • Route the DRL and parking light signals from headlight through firewall
  • Route the fog lamp wire through the firewall
  • Remove the fuse carrier and open the cover
  • Remove the BCM and open the BCM connectors
  • Remove the instrument cluster and replae the CAN bus signals in the connector with the wire from ciclo's wire set
  • Remove existing light switch and dimmer switch
  • Remove wires from the existing light switch connector and transfer to the red connector from ciclo's wire set
  • Install the new relays from ciclo's wire set in the relay carrier
  • Make all isolations/connections in the fuse carrier for the wires from ciclo's wiring looms
  • Make all isolations/connections in the BCM connector for the wires from ciclo's wiring looms
  • Connect Pin#3 from red connector in the headlight wiring to the fuse carrier. And from the fuse carrier to the fog light wiring loom.
  • Remove existing fog lamp connector and connect the new fog light connectors
  • Connect the new BCM and connect the battery negative
  • Using VCDS adapt the BCM to the remote keys. Link
  • Copy the long coding values to BCM (I used the values sent by ciclo)
  • Configure the BCM for other interesting functions
List of VCDS coding of interesting functions:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=105#p474349
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=195#p477710
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=765#p491539
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=765#p491577
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=1830#p504328
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&p=517482#p517482
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=3015#p517604
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=3120#p518296
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=3120#p518219

A few learnings from this DIY:
  • It is not possible to remove the dash panel below the steering column. I was trying to remove this panel for easy access of the fuse carrier and the BCM wiring. Ended up breaking some of the locks. After ciclo's comment realized that it is not possible. The only way to carry out this installation is to work directly behind the steering column.
  • In the beginning we (I and my friend) tried to access the wires with half the body out of the car which resulted in an awkward position which made the right hand very restricted. Later we realized it would be much easier to remove the driver's seat and lie down straight inside the car. This reduced the difficulty level from 10 to maybe 8 :)
  • Make sure to lock in the BCM connectors perfectly. After completing all the wiring, the auto scan threw lots of errors like signal 30 missing for various modules. We had to spend almost half a day tracing and cross checking all the connections. Later it turned out that the white connector in the BCM was not properly seated. Once we fixed this everything started working as it was supposed to.
  • I made a big mistake with the rain light sensor and mirror. I had bought the full set (RLS, mounting bracket and mirror) for the Jetta. The windshield in my Polo does not have an opening in the black checkered pattern for fixing the RLS. I had to fix it below the pattern where there is clear glass for the RLS. As this would result in the mirror getting lowered and blocking the view, I decided to move the sensor to the passenger side. In one word I botched it up. I think the best approach would be to change the windshield that is compatible with rain light sensor and get the correct sensor and mirror assembly. I will fix this in the coming days.
I have the following functions working:
  • Automatic headlights
  • Coming home and Leaving home lights
  • DRL function
  • DRLs dimming for parking lights
  • DRL turns off when indicator on
  • Static cornering lights
  • Static cornering light activation threshold changed from 40 to 55kph
  • Static cornering lights on while reversing
I am yet to test the rain sensing features. I will do this once I get the windshield replaced and install the new sensors and mirror.

Some pictures of the installation. Due to the tough installation, I missed taking pictures of various steps.

All the components ready for the assembly.

BCM comparison.

Fixed the headlights.

Routed the DRL/parking wires through firewall.

Removed the instrument cluster.

Connected the CAN bus wires to the instrument cluster connector.

The relay carrier removed.

Headlight switch removed.

Wires from the existing headlight connector isolated.

Wires transferred to the red and black connectors in ciclo's wire set.

All connectors in the headlight circuit plugged in

New relay from ciclo's wiring set installed. Relay J331 replaced with a bridge.

The BCM connectors after the new wires installed.

Lying down comfortably :)

The botched up rain sensor fixing

Coding in progress

A well deserved wash after the installation

The result.

I plan to take some videos of all the functions. Will post the videos one I have them.
Last edited by graaja on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Wow awesome post graaja. Thanks a lot! Great!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Yes, it's awesome iichel.

Other functions achieved by graaja on his Polo GT and that at this moment forgot to comment or he will comment later:

- Automatic lights with rain.
- Single side parking lights when parking on dark areas. P''' viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69121&start=30#p516059
- Dimming (manually controlled) of interior light/Instrument cluster. Before: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachmen ... switch.jpg , after: http://i63.tinypic.com/5upzye.jpg

Appart than those mentioned in the repair manual, here some notes on bonding of rain sensor retaining plate (to attach the interior dimming mirror):

- Before bonding the retaining plate to the windshield it is necessary to paint on the windshield the correct shape for each sensor model. You will achieve a correct finished and not think that the work has been a botched work. :)

- More glue does not mean better bonding, in fact it should be a very thin cord of recommended glue, which will expand when the retaining plate is pressed against the windshield. Why a thin cord of glue? To avoid air bubbles between the sensor gel pad and the windshield.

- The recommended glue (OEM) is perfect for all types of weather conditions. Dries in two/three hours and provides a perfect holding, very difficult to remove once it is dry.

- The windscreen wipers should clean the RLS area so it can operate properly.

---
graaja: I suppose you have attached all the cables to the original wiring with plastic ties and cloth tape. It is not only necessary that it does not interfere with moving parts of the pedals area, also necessary that they do not interfere with the disassembly of any part of that area.

We will continue tuning everything that is necessary on your Polo GT.

And as it is difficult for me to keep my mouth shut, just would like comment that graaja is an exceptional person from this fantastic world/planet. I'm amazed. 8)
patil
Gold Member
Drives: Polo6r/1.2TSI/DSG7, T-roc'20 1.5TSI/DSG7

Post by patil »

Excellent DIY job Graaja, congratulations. I really admire your passion and perseverance in the work you undertake. I do own same color polo gt just two months younger than yours. I have installed Eagle eyes with bixenon setup on my car. It was simple plug and play and performance wise i am fairly satisfied. Now i wish to experience the performance of your new headlights if you are OK with it. I live nearby in Mettupalayam. This is my first post on this forum, i hope i have posted correctly. :D
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

iichel wrote:Wow awesome post graaja. Thanks a lot! Great!
Thank you very much for the kind words, iichel. It was an oversight that I forgot to mention you in my post (I have corrected it now :D ). Your post on AFS installation helped me a lot. I understood the adapter cable requirements and why BCM max is a must etc. from the discussions in your thread. Thank you very much for this.
ciclo wrote:And as it is difficult for me to keep my mouth shut, just would like comment that graaja is an exceptional person from this fantastic world/planet. I'm amazed. 8)
Thank you very much for your kind words ciclo. The appreciation from you means a lot to me.
ciclo wrote:graaja: I suppose you have attached all the cables to the original wiring with plastic ties and cloth tape. It is not only necessary that it does not interfere with moving parts of the pedals area, also necessary that they do not interfere with the disassembly of any part of that area.
Yes. I have taken lot of care to tie up all the cables (I used about 20 cable ties) and also bound open cables with cotton tape. The footwell does not have any loose wires now.
ciclo wrote:Appart than those mentioned in the repair manual, here some notes on bonding of rain sensor retaining plate (to attach the interior dimming mirror):

- Before bonding the retaining plate to the windshield it is necessary to paint on the windshield the correct shape for each sensor model. You will achieve a correct finished and not think that the work has been a botched work. :)

- More glue does not mean better bonding, in fact it should be a very thin cord of recommended glue, which will expand when the retaining plate is pressed against the windshield. Why a thin cord of glue? To avoid air bubbles between the sensor gel pad and the windshield.

- The recommended glue (OEM) is perfect for all types of weather conditions. Dries in two/three hours and provides a perfect holding, very difficult to remove once it is dry.

- The windscreen wipers should clean the RLS area so it can operate properly.
I came to know about the requirement to paint the windshield only after I fixed the base wrongly. I saw Firegrafik's DIY post where he had explained this in detail. But it was too late when I saw his post. Also, I realized that the wiper does not fully cover the sensor only after fixint it. They say hindsight is always 20/20. I will make this right and post an update.
patil wrote:Excellent DIY job Graaja, congratulations. I really admire your passion and perseverance in the work you undertake. I do own same color polo gt just two months younger than yours. I have installed Eagle eyes with bixenon setup on my car. It was simple plug and play and performance wise i am fairly satisfied. Now i wish to experience the performance of your new headlights if you are OK with it. I live nearby in Mettupalayam. This is my first post on this forum, i hope i have posted correctly. :D
Thank you for the kind words, Patil. You are most welcome to visit me and have a look at the new headlights. We can exchange contact details through PM.
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

A few pictures taken during the weekend drive to a nearby hill station.

iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I must say, that facelifted bumper and the matching radiator grill, they look absolutely stunning with the bi-xenon headlights.
graaja
Getting There!

Post by graaja »

iichel wrote:I must say, that facelifted bumper and the matching radiator grill, they look absolutely stunning with the bi-xenon headlights.
Wow. I just noticed the matching radiator grill after you pointed it out :D
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

iichel wrote:I must say, that facelifted bumper and the matching radiator grill, they look absolutely stunning with the bi-xenon headlights.
Good point. 8)

----
graaja wrote:A few pictures taken during the weekend drive to a nearby hill station.
Beautiful images. Are you doing tests with static cornering lights? :)

Test:
33...50 (40-60)

(test only :lol:)