Buying a Match 95 auto questions

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Buying a Match 95 auto questions

Post by monkeyhanger »

German_Fartbox wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:31 am The Polo performed admirably on my once a fortnight commute this morning - 32miles, 80mph almost all the way down and 44mpg. Amazing - presumably the GPF is completely empty as it's done 2 x 64 mile round trips in a row and not been used in between. Last journey tomorrow, to Prestige Performance Yorkshire in Selby.
Am I doing something wrong as I get about 35mpg on the motorway :|
How long is your journey?
What speed are you maintaining?
How many short journeys do you do per big one?

If you do a lot of short journeys and the GPF is quite full most of the time, that'll affect your mpg. Short (<20 miles ) motorway journeys will be lucky to see 40mpg.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

German_Fartbox wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am Am I doing something wrong as I get about 35mpg on the motorway :|
I don't get anywhere near the MPG some claim on here either.
I can only assume those who get much better MPG live somewhere flat and can cruise on a whiff of throttle for mile after mile.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Lots of factors that can influence mpg. Length of journey, speed and state of the GPF as @monkeyhanger has suggested. Volume of traffic, time of day (e.g. rush hour or off peak traffic times), % mix of driving (urban, rural and motorway), driver only or fully laden car, tyre pressures, aerodynamic drag if windows are open; all of these factors will also influence fuel consumption. There will no doubt be other factors too. Ambient temperature was a fairly significant factor to mpg in the diesels I’ve owned - doesn’t have such an impact on mpg with petrol engined cars though.

My long term mpg before it reset itself after 100 hours of driving was around 40 mpg. Town driving I get low 30’s and A / B road driving which accounts for a high proportion of my driving (usually high traffic volume and little opportunity to overtake, so just going with the traffic flow) I usually get mid-40’s mpg.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I only get mine over 40mpg going 40-50mph into town, which is a very gentle downhill slope for miles and much of it is on a whiff of throttle, or none.
Coming back the same way, so I'm obviously still doing 40-50mph but am having to apply some throttle as it's uphill, low 30mpg.
I'm getting 96 or higher on the 'blue circle' driving aid screen thing, so it's not me being rough.
It's about what I'd expect really, I think mid 40mpg is a a tad optimistic and unrealistic for a 2.0 petrol, unless you live somewhere very, very flat.
It's consistently around 10mpg worse than my 95tsi was, in every scenario, which is fine by me.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:08 pm
German_Fartbox wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am Am I doing something wrong as I get about 35mpg on the motorway :|
I don't get anywhere near the MPG some claim on here either.
I can only assume those who get much better MPG live somewhere flat and can cruise on a whiff of throttle for mile after mile.
You've said many times that you scream your cold-engined car uphill home on a very short journey. If you do any long motorway journeys you should do a lot better. If you do a long enough journey, those hills should even themselves out as a very small impact on your overall journey. I can do about a quarter of my miles on that "whiff of throttle" that keeps me under 20kW and running the Budack cycle. Like I said though, if you do most of your miles doing very short journeys, a loaded GPF can have 10-15% effect on your fuel economy.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:57 pm
You've said many times that you scream your cold-engined car uphill home on a very short journey.
Yeah that'll be 18mpg phase.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:58 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:57 pm
You've said many times that you scream your cold-engined car uphill home on a very short journey.
Yeah that'll be 18mpg phase.
That much? I suppose it is reasonably flat going south from Newcastle on the A19 or A1
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

I live in West Yorkshire so its just hill after hill to be fair. M62 isn't exactly flat either. I average about 28mpg daily driving. I do drive in manual pretty much 95% of the time which I know will effect it unless I'm on the motorway then its left in auto. The daily driving around town in auto is shocking imo, it lugs like mad and I cannot stand sitting at 1200rpm constantly. Then it will try and throw the car into 4th all the time on a hill...literally drives me mad...
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

German_Fartbox wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:20 pm Then it will try and throw the car into 4th all the time on a hill...literally drives me mad...
Every morning my car gets up to 30mph and 4th gear at a small rise in the road and immediately has to throw it back into 3rd.
It's quite funny really. :)
I'm mostly too lazy to use manual.
Full auto was handy the other night while carrying 2 x lemon and raspberry tarts home in my left hand (not a euphemism)
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:00 pm
German_Fartbox wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:20 pm Then it will try and throw the car into 4th all the time on a hill...literally drives me mad...
Every morning my car gets up to 30mph and 4th gear at a small rise in the road and immediately has to throw it back into 3rd.
It's quite funny really. :)
I'm mostly too lazy to use manual.
Full auto was handy the other night while carrying 2 x lemon and raspberry tarts home in my left hand (not a euphemism)
Oh yeah the auto comes in handy after a trip to Gregs 8)