Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Edi30
Gold Member

Re: Using Oil!

Post by Edi30 »

POLOGTI2011 wrote:Been looking on here for ages and didnt set my account up correctly but now done it grr!

Right I am 18 and have a 2011 GTI Polo, I have had the oil problem and my local VW topped it up once then it drunk it again, when this was happening I felt like I was driving a diesel with black tips and crazy amounts of smoke! They done an oil test which it failed, now I have a brand new engine in a car with 4000miles and I can say that it's not drinking as much oil, but do I have black exhaust tips but no smoke!
Can't believe you have had a new engine :shock: I hope this one is going to be ok? :? How much smoke was it producing as some others have smoke? As I don't have smoke that sounds good as I wont need a new engine :wink:

Dont think black exhaust tips is anything to do with oil as my Golf GTI MK6 has Black tips and does not use any oil. As they have a chrome finish they are hard to keep clean. My old MK5 Edition 30 had stainless tips and was easier to get the black off.
POLOGTI2011
Bronze Member

Post by POLOGTI2011 »

This one is fine now thanks! My local vw got told to pull the engine apart by vw in germany as I have the new type engine or something and the first cyclinder was letting oil through! Like black smoke diesel style lol. Still love driving the car such a awesome car, how is yours?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

POLOGTI2011 wrote:This one is fine now thanks! My local vw got told to pull the engine apart by vw in germany as I have the new type engine or something and the first cyclinder was letting oil through! Like black smoke diesel style lol. Still love driving the car such a awesome car, how is yours?
New type engine hey? The same new type engine that has been going in these cars since the start of production, along with the golf 118tsi?

Interesting point (aside from the fact I FINALLY picked up my GTI on friday!) that I mentioned the issues here to the service manager of the dealership when I picked the car up and you know what I was told? Contrary to the crap in the VW owner's manual, he told me to "drive it like you stole it, this is best for a new engine, especially these...." So, that's what I did:):)
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Interesting point and one I subscribe to, run it in hard :twisted: Glad you finally got your GTI :D Got any pics to share?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Yeah, she's a bit grubby (going for a proper full detail soon) due to being winter but here's a couple....

Will entre it into polo of the month once she's clean:)
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Looking great 8) What other options did you go for apart from the Xenons?
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Comfort pack (Auto wipers, self dimming mirror, climatronic) and audio pack (RCD 510 and MDI interface).
We get cruise, tyre pressure monitoring etc standard here, the only 2 options I didn't get were the poorly bolstered fake leather and the panoramic sunroof:)
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Great spec :D i have these options too plus MFSW, do you not get the MFSW or darkened rear windows as options in Aus?
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

My Car just been in to dealers after them doing an oil test. In 500 miles it took a full litre. They contacted VW and they said it might be the pistons.
They are going to call me nest week and let me know how they need to proceed. Have been told if it needs to be repaired then it will take a week to do the work.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Hmm, that is heavy oil consumption and sounds like the same as a few others have had. Mine has been for an oil check and used a lot less than a litre in 500 miles. I believe if the engine uses more then 600 ml in 500 miles then VW will want to investigate further. How many miles has your car done now?
big_amir
Getting There!

Post by big_amir »

Just under 9000 miles.

When i went this morning thy pulled out a page from the owners manual stating the usage etc.. and were quite abrupt about me bringing the car in. this was before they checked it. once checked they changed there tune considerably.
Edi30
Gold Member

Post by Edi30 »

Keep us informed about what happens next? Has your car just started using more oil suddenly or has it gradually used more as the miles have increased?
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Well i checked my oil last saturday it was at 3/4 mark, got in this morning and thought engine sounded a little noisey. Checked oil and it was almost bone dry. Luckily had a litre in the boot, but my god 3/4 tank in a week, does that sound a little excessive to anybody else? Does to me. Cars just coming upto 2000 miles, first time ive had to top it up though.
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

I see this oil thread is still well and truly alive. My GTI now has 2,300 miles and it still seems to be drinking oil. Over 2 litres and (£34 worth!). I still get the odd plume of blue smoke even under gentle acceleration on occasion when pulling away - it soon clears again though.

The performance and fuel consumption are absolutely fine though.

Although I am still very low mileage, I think I have given it long enough for the problem to settle down a bit, manual states "up to litre per 2000km" which is about 1,400 miles. I have contacted my VW dealer in the last week and they are going to let me know (still waiting to hear though!) :?
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Having informed my local VW dealer about the oil issue, they want to have my car for a week to carry out various tests on it. It is booked in for a couple of weeks time where I will be given a loan car.

The fact they have booked a weeks workshop space for it proves there must be something, they did say that there is a VW technical bulletin which they need to follow up on with respect to this engine.

I am hoping and praying it is not going to require major work despite it being under warranty. I will post back again when the car goes in.