Stainless Exhaust

Chat about your MKIII (86C) inc GT/G40 Polo
JellyB
New

Stainless Exhaust

Post by JellyB »

Those on the G40 list will know that I had a problem with my exhaust, seeming to block up, anyway wasnt the cat in the end but the back box. I decided to have a Longlife decat system in 2" stainless fitted (£340) as the new back box was about £120 anyway.

Very impressed, its a bit louder than the stock system at low revs, but top end is much better now.

Pictures to follow when it stops raining and I can get under the car without having to put on a wetsuit. ;)

Anyway cheers for all the helpful comments on the list!
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Just had a Longlife stainless system fitted to my GT. It does seem louder than normal, do they go a bit quiter after they have been on a while ? Do they need to build up with carbon to quieten them a bit ?
LiamG40
New

Post by LiamG40 »

I think the longlife ones varie from system to system casue they are custom built not to sure but I think you can specify how loud quite you want it.
DMWG40
New

Powerflow

Post by DMWG40 »

I have had my exhaust nearly two years and have had no problems with mine from powerflow and its well tucked up on the underside of my car. Also extra support at the backbox end to stop it dropping off

Dennis :lol:
PoloG40
New

Post by PoloG40 »

Yes I'm Dennis on this, I have a Powerflow system too. Very impressed with it, I asked for a quiet one as my old Jetex did my head in. Made a nice bracket for the rear box too, no chance of me dragging this one down the road. :D

Alan
JellyB
New

Post by JellyB »

Here is a pic of my new exhaust, I went for a tailpipe as close to the original as possible.

I do actually find the exhaust loud, I would prefer it to have been quieter, but that was the best they could do. I think I try power flow for systems on future cars, though the loudness of this system is worse as the Polo hasnt got a lot of sound proofing.

The exhaust is as quiet as its going to get now after about 400miles of driving, cant wait to get a charger rebuild and chip now that I am lagging a little at low revs and the car screams to be revved :D
sixspeed
New

Post by sixspeed »

I've got a Longlife on mine as well. Had a Powerflow backbox before (Longlife is full system from downpipe back inc de-cat) and the quality of the box/piping etc was no-where near as good as the Longlife system.

The Powerflow backbox I had was only on there about 4 months before I got the whole Longlife system, and it was already corroding when we took it off.

I wouldn't recommend Powerflow to anyone after seeing a couple of systems now (and hearing them!). If you're after a "custom" system, I'd go with Longlife any day of the week. They sound better, and are made from higher grade stainless steel....

-andy-
JellyB
New

Post by JellyB »

Update on my system.

It developed a fault where as only one mount had been used on the back box it started to rotate around the front union.

This was sorted out in about 50mins by them down at longlife, they put another support on and put a dab of weld the front section to stop it rotating.

Pleased its all fixed again.
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

After having problems with my exhaust and the fitting place not being able to sort it out properly. I contacted the Longlife head office to see what they could do.

I recieved a phone call back from the MD saying he would get it sorted when the new fitting centre opens which is closer to me.

So hopefully I should be having the exhaust sorted properly in a few weeks :)