From my 9N to what..need advice & ideas?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

From my 9N to what..need advice & ideas?

Post by Ballyhoo »

Right, so soon...welll soonish I will be seeing my Polo 9n off and getting a new car but don't know what. Budget will be about £15K roughly so what should get...can be new or can be second hand (2-3 years old max) no too many miles...you all knwo what I mean....

was thinking about the following...

Honda Civic Typre-R,
BMW 318 Compact (newwer mark),
Merc SLK,
Golf R32 not sure on the 2nd hand price tag yet??,
BMW Mini Cooper/Cooper S

Something fun, quick, and puches you back into your seat..know what I mean?

Ideas and advice greatfully received!

Cheers! :D
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

stay vw!!!

go for a mk4 1.8 turbo gti (7grand upwards) then get an IHI turbo kit for 3grand.

get a remap and you will have 330 brake out of a standard looking golf! :lol:
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Alright mate!

I got a Honda Civic Type-R.
But found myself selling up for a Golf Gti.

R32 are still 19k+ and good luck getting insured.

Save up and get a new GTi.

You can get them for 17.5k
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

But for the money the CTR is an amazing car.

Certainly give you more of a kick than the others (bar the r32)

Test drive them all, make sure you get the car you want and you'll be happy sticking with it for a few years.
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

the new gti is amazing to drive. i had a test drive the other day. its abit out your budget, but worth stretching!

my 54 year old mother is buying one!!! and il be having a few drives now and again :lol:

but if you want somthin with a kick, go for that mk4 gti tuned up! :wink:
Neimad
Getting There!

Post by Neimad »

Petrified wrote:Save up and get a new GTi.

By holding the dealership manager's wife to ransom? :-)

Seriously, the cheapest I've seen one is £19.5k -- not even the 'net brokers seem to be able to get anything off (drive the deal said a massive £10 saving for instance!).

If it's not a state secret, I'd love to know where I can lay my hands on one for that price :-D
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

Thanks for the message and HELLO Petrioed, hopoe the label is going well! If you need a branch in Manchester let me know!

Yeah i LOVE the new GTI its the b****x but depends on money and the CTR is NICE and is winning as its a good deal!

Keep the ideas coming please!

also thanks for the idea on the MKIV...nice idea but I wanna keep it pretty standard (yeah yeah yeah 'boring') ..but it would keep my insurenece more affordable..well in some vaguely affordable region!

Oh, my mum drives a V6 3.2 TT......life is NOT fair!

:D

Ps: Nice to be back!
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Neimad wrote:
Petrified wrote:Save up and get a new GTi.

By holding the dealership manager's wife to ransom? :-)

Seriously, the cheapest I've seen one is £19.5k -- not even the 'net brokers seem to be able to get anything off (drive the deal said a massive £10 saving for instance!).

If it's not a state secret, I'd love to know where I can lay my hands on one for that price :-D
You can buy one from germany RHD and import it yourself apparently.
But yeah, it's an import.

UK ones you can get from dealers for under 19k you just have to be prepared to phone around. I ordered one from a local dealer who is matching the drive the deal deal (7% Discount). AND throwing in a few extras, AND giving me a good trade in.

It's on paper now and they can't back out.

I can however if they do not deliver by July. I get my deposit back if I want. if it takes long than that I'm waiting until september.

edit: the original drive the deal price was £17,864 for a 3door, no options.that's what 11%? off!
I got mine during the more cost/more time phase. Now they have stopped doing it.
Last edited by Petrified on Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Ballyhoo wrote:Thanks for the message and HELLO Petrioed, hopoe the label is going well! If you need a branch in Manchester let me know!

Yeah i LOVE the new GTI its the ****** but depends on money and the CTR is NICE and is winning as its a good deal!

Keep the ideas coming please!

also thanks for the idea on the MKIV...nice idea but I wanna keep it pretty standard (yeah yeah yeah 'boring') ..but it would keep my insurenece more affordable..well in some vaguely affordable region!

Oh, my mum drives a V6 3.2 TT......life is NOT fair!

:D

Ps: Nice to be back!

TBH I never wanted to mod my CTR I thought it was perfect the way it is, it has everything I would want already on it, just the sounds system I changed... which I'll have for sale.

Also have a private plate R** CTR which will be up for sale soon.

I doubt if I would change much on the GTi, I would consider getting 18" BBS Alloys and Chipping it, but I doubt if much else would change.

Before you buy the car consider what would happen if you

wrote it off
had an accident
it got stolen
you lost your job

Just make sure you could afford to keep it and keep it insured! a lot of people assume it's never going to happen to them, but when it does they end up having to sell their car and lose out on a lot of £££'s

I think GAP insurance is worthwhile on a 15k+ car.

James.
Neimad
Getting There!

Post by Neimad »

Petrified wrote:edit: the original drive the deal price was £17,864 for a 3door, no options.that's what 11%? off!
I got mine during the more cost/more time phase. Now they have stopped doing it.
It certainly doesn't seem that way now -- this is what I get if I choose the 3-door GTI (the 5-door comes out with the same "discount" though):

And there appears to be a slight calculation problem -- £19,994 - £10 = £19,984, not £19,985!
jj86
Bronze Member

Post by jj86 »

If u want a good performance car I'd definitely go for the type r. my sis let me behind the wheel of hers a few times, and its bloody powerful, and feels good all round.

However, if u like a bit of 'luxury'l I'd say keep looking out for a good deal on the new golf gti.. coz the trim and stuff in the ctr is crap!
Little stuff like the air vent labels (crappy stickers that peel off v.quickly) can be really annoying also.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Was going to say Ibiza, but Neil already has.

If I had that much wedge in my hand, I'd have the CTR, or an Ibiza FR/Cupra 1.8T and spend some on tuning.
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

So would I!

Or I would put it in a bank save up some more then get a Golf.

I havn't decided this myself yet so not best person to ask! :lol:

No, get the Seat, it's a much more sensible option. Insurance is a pain in the arse on the CTR, keeps going up. For my renewal the CTR is £100 more than a Golf GTi! and I'm an old fart now. They are both Group 17 so not sure why.

Something to do with the 5 or 6 (just on the CTR forum) that got written off in the past few months I bet.
leonsmith
Bronze Member

Seat Leon

Post by leonsmith »

My brother has the Seat Leon 1.9 TDi Cupra (150bhp, 6 speed box) and it's very rapid indeed - certainly provides enough 'seat push'. Lovely car.

Might be just outside your price range for a new one, but a Seat dealer might have a couple around a year or so old that might be in that price range.