Chipping a mk2 coupe s

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
polo-vixen
Getting There!

Chipping a mk2 coupe s

Post by polo-vixen »

Hi im a little stuck at the moment, and i was wondering how i could chip me coupe?

I know that u need to have an injection system, which i can do with throttle bodies, but then how do i run a mangement system on me little baby?

I need some ideas, as i know that i could just stick a GT in me car, but thats alot of hassle ive been told, as they run on single point injection

any help would be good please

x
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Hmm. Ok, to put an uprated chip in your car, you'll need a chip to uprate first off.. the mk2 is completely mechanical, there's no electronic gubbins worth talking about so chipping a mk2 engine is out of the question.
Just to get things straight, these are the carburation/injection systems in place on polo engines:
Mk1/2: carburettor (mechanical)
Mk3: single point injection (electronic)
Mk3 GT/G40: multi point injection (electronic)

If for some reason you're desperate to put a chip in it, you'll have to install the entire mk3 injection system. That means fitting two electronic fuel pumps, a mk3 fuel tank to accept the pumps, a mk3 wiring loom and ECU and the mk3 inlet manifold, injectors and throttle body. If you're going to this length, you may as well just go the whole hog and stick a mk3 gt engine in it, as this will give you far more power than chipping a 55bhp 1.3 will. You'll still need to do all the stuff with fuel pumps, tank, wiring etc.

The other route you could go down is to stick with carburettor fuelling, get a pair of weber 40's to replace the nasty old pierburg that yours will have and get it tuned up nicely. It'll be an awful lot less work, and you should be able to get a lot of power out of it, probably more than out of a chipped mk3 injection system.
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

Yeah what he said, and what I said on E1K.

You need electronic fuel injection to be able to chip your car, and you also need fuel injectors to run throttle bodies.

Throttle bodies are also considerably more expensive than just taking out your standard engine and popping a GT engine in there, which would also be more reliable.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

I will be chipping my mk2 fairly soon. 8)
polo-vixen
Getting There!

Post by polo-vixen »

Cool. i have been warned that it does cost alot money and work, but like i said to guys, that aint that problem that i have.

It finding out how to do it for sure and all at the moment, and it seems like alot of work for me coupe but dont matter thats what i wanna do!
Krupa
Gold Member

Post by Krupa »

It doesn't cost a lot if you have injection in the first place.

If you don't, you need injection before you can chip it, that costs varying amounts. Converting to single point shouldn't be too expensive, if you're converting to multi-point you'd be better off with the whole engine - out of a GT or NZ engined Mk3.

If you're getting throttle bodies, you need an injection system to start off with, which you use with the throttle bodies. If you're going full whack and prepared to spend 4 figure sums on a throttle body conversion then it makes more sense be best to start out with a GT engine which has 75bhp and multipoint fuel injection out of the box than a Coupe S one which has 55bhp and carbs.

You'd be better getting carbs like Mk2Matt if you want to stick with your standard engine, otherwise you're making life difficult for yourself.
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

Its costing me around £75 to convert to injection, but some parts ive done as "swaps" That includes a Decatted mk3 downpipe and poloace chip! :D
polo-vixen
Getting There!

Post by polo-vixen »

cool, well like ive said i wanna make me car alot faster as im bored of it at the moment, finking of now putting a 1.4 16v in maybe!

:D
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

Polo-vixen wrote:cool, well like ive said i wanna make me car alot faster as im bored of it at the moment, finking of now putting a 1.4 16v in maybe!

good luck... but dont ask us for help as you'll be the first one to have stuck it into a mk2 I think.
polo-vixen
Getting There!

Post by polo-vixen »

nah that cool, i know somone that told me that it was just straight foward the onmly rpobs would be the engine mout, i would need to mod that, and the rest jsut basically all fits in, with a few mods,

Now lla i need is 1.4 16v i can hvae a 1.4 but thats no point i want more Power :D
polokris
Silver Member

Post by polokris »

witht the 1.4 16v.... u can chip it!! :D
gofasterpinch
New

Post by gofasterpinch »

good luck wiring up the valver engine
polo-vixen
Getting There!

Post by polo-vixen »

U saying that it gonna be really hard, as found someone that knows alot about cars to do it for me, i just need a 1.4 16v

gofasterpinch
New

Post by gofasterpinch »

good luck finding a 1.4 16v engine for less than £700
polo-vixen
Getting There!

Post by polo-vixen »

i have been offered an 1.4 out of car, and i just need a 1.4 16v engine!