Re: Known/common faults

Post by KM6N2 »

The M.A.P sensor has gone on mine!

new one from euro car parts - £65 inc vat
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

my windows have been messing me about for sometime now.
first of all my passenger window never worked at all for about 5months, then got the mot done and it worked fine which was all good....
but then shut my driver side door with the window down, made like a rattling kinda noise when the door shut and now it only goes up if u pull it.....
did the same to my passenger window, shut the door with the window down, not even thinking about it, and now it wont go up unless i pull it up.
anyone know why or how to sort it?
seems simple if its jus shutting the door that knocks it out in the first place?
so annoying tho, especially on hot days....

cheers, matt
PeterT
New

Post by PeterT »

Hi,
It could be one of several things but you give an inadeuate description for anyone to help you. Does your car have electric or manual windows? How old is the car?
Assuming they are electric you need to to carryout some basic diagnostics and fault finding - see my earlier post. What ever you do don't just buy stuff (switches, motors etc.) fit it and hope it cures the probelm. The intermitant nature of the fault may suggest a wiring issue; open the drivers door and carefully pull the rubber boot from the door pillar exposing the wiring loom check for breaks in each wire paying particular attention to the black and white wire. It may have been repaired before. Check the wires from end to end with your fingers - if they fail the copper core may be gone but the PVC outer hanging on.
I would post a picure but can't see how to do it on this poxy site.
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

PeterT wrote:Hi,
It could be one of several things but you give an inadeuate description for anyone to help you. Does your car have electric or manual windows? How old is the car?
Assuming they are electric you need to to carryout some basic diagnostics and fault finding - see my earlier post. What ever you do don't just buy stuff (switches, motors etc.) fit it and hope it cures the probelm. The intermitant nature of the fault may suggest a wiring issue; open the drivers door and carefully pull the rubber boot from the door pillar exposing the wiring loom check for breaks in each wire paying particular attention to the black and white wire. It may have been repaired before. Check the wires from end to end with your fingers - if they fail the copper core may be gone but the PVC outer hanging on.
I would post a picure but can't see how to do it on this poxy site.
6n2 2001 model electric windows
U can hear the motor going but I sounds like its struggling so I'm thinking maybe when I shut the door something might have got caught? I'll have a look at the wires anyway see if I can find anything, cheers
suzieq2
New

Re: 62 plate Bluetooth issue and rain ingress issue

Post by suzieq2 »

Took delivery of 1.4 Match on Sep 2012. Bluetooth only works intermittently been back to dealership 3 times ! Rain ingress on all 4 doors round internal door frames and pools on sills. Told by dealer 'this is common to all VWs' any comments please.
chris.kingston
New

Re:

Post by chris.kingston »

KarlM wrote:ignition barrels fail after 60k. £100 for a new one.
I have a problen like this but when i try to turn the engine over all the lights come on and the starter motor does not sound, it works somtimes but not always, any ideas? :?
marcgoldhawk
New

Post by marcgoldhawk »

mattskate wrote:my windows have been messing me about for sometime now.
first of all my passenger window never worked at all for about 5months, then got the mot done and it worked fine which was all good....
but then shut my driver side door with the window down, made like a rattling kinda noise when the door shut and now it only goes up if u pull it.....
did the same to my passenger window, shut the door with the window down, not even thinking about it, and now it wont go up unless i pull it up.
seems simple if its jus shutting the door that knocks it out in the first place?

cheers, matt
Hey, a bit late but I thought I should share this with you.
I had the same problem with my passenger side window on my 6N2 a couple weeks back,, The only dealer here in Zimbabwe (FCM VW) couldnt figure it out and wanted me to fork out US$1200 for a new motor cos they thought it was bust. Anyways I took up the challenge of trying to fix it myself. Popped the door panel off and on the window rail closer to the door catch, there was a little white plastic runner with a metal cable running through it. The metal cable had popped out of the runner so the motor could not pull the window up by only the one cable. It's worth giving it a shot!
mattskate
Bronze Member

Post by mattskate »

marcgoldhawk wrote:
mattskate wrote:my windows have been messing me about for sometime now.

cheers, matt
Hey, a bit late but I thought I should share this with you.
I had the same problem with my passenger side window on my 6N2 a couple weeks back,, The only dealer here in Zimbabwe (FCM VW) couldnt figure it out and wanted me to fork out US$1200 for a new motor cos they thought it was bust. Anyways I took up the challenge of trying to fix it myself. Popped the door panel off and on the window rail closer to the door catch, there was a little white plastic runner with a metal cable running through it. The metal cable had popped out of the runner so the motor could not pull the window up by only the one cable. It's worth giving it a shot!
yea was gonna give it a shot this weekend, so did u just put the cable back into the runner then?
marcgoldhawk
New

Post by marcgoldhawk »

The top of the runner was broken so thats why the metal cable kept coming out, so I used this stuff we have called Prime Bond (its like a powder and adhesive combination pack thats used for repairing cracks or holes in pretty much any plastic or metal) and just held the cable in place.
Gibbles
New
Drives: VW Polo 6n2

Post by Gibbles »

Well ive had my Polo for 2 weeks now and theres a few problems with it (More than my old 1991 caddy!)
-the speedo is reading around 10 MPH under what it should
-the boot open light is going MENTAL
-theres a really annoying rattling coming from under the dash when i have music on.
-the clutch is creaky.
-cant control the passengers electric window from the drivers panel.
-electric window panel 1 touch thing wont work.
-the steering feels weird, it might just be because im not used to power steering though. :mrgreen:

looks like im gonna have to get down and dirty with her so im here for the long run, hello all! :wink:
quaz
New
Drives: 6N2 TDI

Post by quaz »

Hi, My faults are minimal but seem to follow the trend, drivers door wouldn't open from the inside, replaced mechanism from scrap yard for £3.00, it's a diesel and for the last few weeks now the glow plug/engine management light continually flashes while driving, plugged it into the computer and wasn't showing any error codes! anyone help with the latter fault? the power and performance don't seem to be effected at all, still returns around 58mpg.
Dagga
New
Drives: VW polo 6N2

Post by Dagga »

Hi all, Im now on my second 6n2 and here are the problems i have expericanced so far,

** Gearbox chewed through 1st gear
** Clutch went along side the thrust bearing
** Exhaust manifold had a crack
** Flexi pipe had a hole # Ripped when fitting a straight through system
** Rear window seal
** Rear brake calipers seased
** Drivers window / locking terminal corroded

In the process of stripping my first 6n2 for spares / repairs / modding then too the scrap pile it will go, I will miss the green tendance its a shame it died and its cheeper to buy a new one that replace the gearbox :(
dazz
New
Drives: Polo 6R Comfort Line 2010

Re: Known/common faults Mk5 6R 2010 Wiper

Post by dazz »

Hi
Intermittent wiper function doesn't work in any of the 4 positions.
andylyons96
New
Drives: 6n2

Post by andylyons96 »

So the engine blew up in my wee 6n2 and it had the egr valve but i replaced it with a older engine that doesn't have the egr valve how could i stop the engine management light coming up or would it pass mot if i say the egr valve isn't on the new engine i've no idea what to do i try removing the code but keeps coming up which is a pain because i need it to pass mot ?
DatPoloGuy
New
Drives: 6n2 2000

Post by DatPoloGuy »

My passenger window motor is deeeeaaaad! So annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk